Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neo-Monk

Default Neo-Monk

Amon just a heads up illyist doesnt seem to be working he told me I joined the neo-monk school but my mana bar didnt appear and I am not placed on the neo-monk level 1. I am 3 classes 100 monk 4 warrior and 3 cleric does teh fact that I am a level 100 monk already mess with joining the neo-monk school?

NM I had someone with 0 monk levels try it and he also did not become a neo-monk so I will relog now to see if that will fix the problem.

NM when you relog it places you in the neo-monk school.
    Last edited by Duckies; April 21st, 2010 at 04:34 PM.

Default Re: Blight Update 182 Discussion

The mana bar won't appear because it isn't enabled on the client.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Default Re: Blight Update 182 Discussion

A few issues:

1) The school neo-monk doesnt appear where the shortened abbreviation of the school near the crafters abbreviation

2) There is still no mana bar which makes it very difficult to use the storm attack when I do not know how much mana I have left if any. But all of the styles are working properly and the time between beginner/middle/final attacks are perfect at 6 seconds.

Will have more imput when I get higher in levels

EDIT: nevermind saw your post on the mana bar

Default Re: Neo-Monk

Also Brawler I is +2 damage but the higher version Brawler II is only +1 (delay adjusted)

This is the Neo-Monk guide as I have from 1-50 so far.

A few things to know:

(1) means its an opener style
    (2) means its a middle style
    (3) means its a finisher
    (4) super ability that requires mana

Approach (1) level 2

Stunning Strike (2) level 5

Pummel (3) level 10

Retrieve{this is the ability you have to gain mana from opponent} (3) level 15

Storm (4) level 15 Effect: Its a triple attack

Coordinate Blow (4) level 20 Effect: +attack skill 2 attacks

Flying Kick (2) level 20

Overhead Smash (3) level 25

Roundhouse (3) level 30

Mend Soul (4) level 35 Effect: A 10% 2 second heal that requires mana

Whirlwind (4) level 40 Effect: Area of effect attack like warriors Whirlwind

Pounce (1) level 50

You also get a Brawler passive which adds to your damage but overwrites one another.

Brawler I (+2 damage) level 1

Brawler II (+1 damage delay adjusted) level 19

Brawler III (+2 damage delay adjusted) level 39

Also because there is no Neo-monk in any of the fistwraps or leather armor sets your only choice of armor is cloth which also goes by what your crafter level is.

If you have any questions please feel free to send me a PM in game and I will do my best to answer these questions.

Thoughts and issues at level 65:

1) Mend Soul rocks but its castable on the move and as much as I would love to keep it I dont know if it should be castable on the move.

2) The openers are on different timers, but the middle and finishing styles are all on the same timer. So either the openers need to be placed on the same timers(which I dont think is a good idea) or the secondary and finishing styles should be placed on seperate timers(which is what I support)

3) Power style does not affect neo-monk style damage whatsoever

4) Pummel by its definition is supposed to be an automatic 2 hits yet even with 1000+ unarmed it still misses on rare occasion.

5) There is no pull spell/style by the neo monk (even the monk themselves get ki strike which has some range to it)

All the other information Amon I think your aware of (like scaling damage, lack of ability to equip any gear for monk,lack of being able to cast any type of spell, no styles after level 50)

I've noticed that the neo-monk does not gain their unarmed mastery abilities every 5 levels like a regular monk, though they don't gain them like a disciple either, thus far. I had 25 levels of monk before switching to neo-monk, so I had unarmed mastery 06. I gained unarmed mastery 07, 08, and 09 at levels 32, 37 and 42 respectively. I'd prefer if they got them every 5 as a monk so they can gain all unarmed mastery levels.

Also, the ability Closer: Roundhouse also acts as an Opener (has Attacker Effect: Combo Opener in its details). Though you cannot start with it, you can combo up to it (ie. Opener, FollowUp, Closer: Roundhouse) then immediately follow it with a Follow-up, and you can repeat this process (Roundhouse, Follow-up, Roundhouse, Followup, etc.). This is the only closer that works this way so far. I'm not sure if this is a mistake or not, though.

Noticed something in the whirlwind description...it says it is an explosion of chi, though the other monk abilities are described using ki. Not a big deal but thought it'd be nice to stay consistent.

Some things I'd like to see are attack options giving different damage types. An ability called Knife Hand (or Ridge Hand), for instance, could do slash damage, while Spear Hand could do pierce damage. Also, having super moves doing elemental damage (as well as ethereal) would be nice. Maybe even make these abilities into quests. This would make the neo-monk a versatile fighter.

I'm having a lot of fun playing the neo-monk. I think it's a superb, and much needed, breath of fresh air as a class and I will hope/pray/beg for it's continued development.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by Duckies View Post
    Amon just a heads up illyist doesnt seem to be working
    is the nm trainer really named illyist? if so, i must say, you guys bring tears to my eyes - i am so happy i am not the only one with an avatar of our long lost but still terribly missed mighty blessed god of blight....
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...01&postcount=5
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...9&postcount=11
    Last edited by velveeta; April 24th, 2010 at 08:01 AM.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    is the nm trainer really named illyist? if so, i must say, you guys bring tears to my eyes - i am so happy i am not the only one with an avatar of our long lost but still terribly missed mighty blessed god of blight....
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...01&postcount=5
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...9&postcount=11
    Yep - and in the description of the guy, it mentions that it is an homage. Very nice

I'm sorry I haven't responded much here or even in tickets on the support site regarding Neo-monk. Fact is, we're focused on revamping the RoP and Scholar and so Neo-monk is pretty far down our list. I put it onto Blight because folks had asked for it and because eventually I hope to finish it up. But for now, please feel free to play around with it, document your feedback, and look to the near future for further updates.

For the next patch I will try and add some of the other Neo- schools if you like... Neo-Druid and Neo-FlameDisciple are both available I believe.

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Amon you don't need to apologize man, truth be told other than the mana bar not showing up its really a whole lot of fun(and the mana bar isnt really that big of a deal) I would love neo-flame disciple but its essentially what the experimentor was (with flame fists and fire sheath) oh and I guess there wasn't a soul mend(which I love by the way) but yeah I would enjoy playing the neo-flame disciple.

Default Re: Blight Update 183

I tried out the neo-druid school on my lvl 6 cleric all seem ok hes now lvl 11. but is not getting any training points is this intended.

Thumbelina
    Unity

Speaking of mana:

1) Do you gain more per level, and if so, how much? If not, then when do you gain it and how much?

2) Does it regenerate like health or is the Retrieve closer the only way to gain it back? Also, how much does Retrieve recover?

3) How much mana do each of the Super abilities use?

While the client doesn't track the use of mana, I'd like to know the above so I can keep track of it myself.

Finally, a huge thanks for enabling the Neo-schools the ability to use armor and spells (among other things). Makes the adventuring life a little easier.

1) Do you gain more per level, and if so, how much? If not, then when do you gain it and how much?

Answer: no you do not

2) Does it regenerate like health or is the Retrieve closer the only way to gain it back? Also, how much does Retrieve recover?

Answer: retrive is the only way no regeneration(unless you level then it goes back to 100%)

3) How much mana do each of the Super abilities use?

Answer: look at the icons they tell you but if you want to look at it in this way retrieve=.75 storm so if you retrieve 3 times you can use it twice.

Made the following changes today for Neo-Monk. These will be part of the next patch.

• FIX: Fixed the Brawler DPS bonuses and the coin (weighting) values
    • FIX: Openers now share a timer
    • FIX: Increased the penetration bonus on Closer: Pummel because it shouldn't be missing.
    • FIX: Neo-Monk now has the same armor/weapon restrictions as a Monk
    • FIX: Closer Roundhouse now properly gives another Follow-up stance.
    Until we get mana enabled on the client I'm not going to mess with the mana costs. Question for you though... are you able to use a super at any time provided you have sufficient mana? I was looking at them and some said they should use "Super Move" but they weren't setup to consume it and nothing I could find actually gave you it anyway.

As long as I have the mana, I can do any super that I've selected, and I've used them all at one time or another (now a level 60 neo-monk). However, because I don't know how much mana I have at any given time, I have never used the mana-using moves more than occasionally during any one fight. Even then I make sure to do a few retrieves to be safe. I'll run some more tests by continuously spamming the super moves to see what happens.

As for the fixes that you listed, as of right now neo-monk already has the same armor/weapon/spell restrictions as a regular Monk (from what I've seen). Also, Closer: Roundhouse currently creates a Follow-Up opportunity, and has done so since neo-monk was re-enabled. Is there a difference between its current behavior and the intended fix?

I'm a little sad that the openers are going to share a timer. I was having a lot of fun having two combo chains going at the same time, and it really opened up the options for crowd-control. I'll have to do some more tests after the patch to see how much the change affects my current play style.

Default Re: Blight Update 183

Is there a link to an overview of the two new experimental schools, neo-druid and neo-flame disciple? Stat's and abilities gained from lvl 1-100???

are you able to use a super at any time provided you have sufficient mana? I was looking at them and some said they should use "Super Move" but they weren't setup to consume it and nothing I could find actually gave you it anyway.
    I am unable to use Mend Soul because of this. I get a message "You must have 1 Super Move to use Super: Mend Soul."

Quote Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
    I am unable to use Mend Soul because of this. I get a message "You must have 1 Super Move to use Super: Mend Soul."
    This must have been changed for the 184 patch because I cannot use Mend Soul now either. Its description says that it consumes 1 super move, but what does that mean? Before the patch I could use Mend Soul as long as I had mana, but now I cannot use it at all.

Closer: Roundhouse currently creates a Follow-Up opportunity, and has done so since neo-monk was re-enabled. Is there a difference between its current behavior and the intended fix?
    It seems to me that it used to make you ready to perform a follow-up and now it makes you ready to perform another closer.
    This brings up another question I have. The way the timers are set up, Roundhouse does not seem to be of much use. Since I just completed a closer and all the closers are on the same timer, I have to wait for the timer to expire to attack with the "bonus" closer. I might as well close with something else and do another opener and follow-up. This would give me two more opportunities to cause damage, and not have the penalty to my attack skill. For instance, I could close with retrieve and still get the 150% damage adjustment that Roundhouse gives, plus I would get the bonus of charging my mana. Maybe I'm missing some nuance of Roundhouse that makes it worth while.

Thread Information