Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7

Default Windows 7

A few months ago I purchased a new lap top pc, it runs on Windows 7, I was very excited to try it out and I have loved my new pc so far. However, now Istaria suffers from multiple relogs from just porting from place to place, my tells become very slow, and when I try to use an ability it takes ages before working. So I relog and game is good for a while then with in hour or so another relog, I never had this problem with XP, others with Windows 7 say it happens too. Is this just the norm? How its going to be? or any way I can fix it?

*curious*
    ~Agua

Default Re: Windows 7

I use windows 7 with Istaria and have no problems (both on a desktop and on a laptop). I even double- or triple-box on occasion on the same machine with no problems at all.

I would say check to make sure your sound and video drivers are the latest that you can get. That might help.

Good luck.

Oh, that is just general lag..
    Do you happen to have the loading screens turned off? A lot of problems can be caused by that due to the game trying to cache everything at once. Usually what will happen when loading a new area is the game downloads the land, objects, etc.. so when you next load up the area it almost immidiately loads you in. So what you experience could only be temporary.
    No need for video driver or sound driver updates/downloads : )

Well I've to say Horizons preforms really bad on Windows 7 compared to Windows XP. I can run on Windows XP all day long without a relog, and yet the specs are lots lower than my Windows 7 PC is.

On Windows 7, depending on how many area's I visit, I need like 5-15 relog a day.
    Dakoren Ironhand - Multiclassed Half-Giant
    Krondel Bloodclaw - Ancient Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Dakoren Ironhand View Post
    Well I've to say Horizons preforms really bad on Windows 7 compared to Windows XP. I can run on Windows XP all day long without a relog, and yet the specs are lots lower than my Windows 7 PC is.

On Windows 7, depending on how many area's I visit, I need like 5-15 relog a day.
    Strange.. never has happened to me to be honest. I run Windows 7 x64 even. Havn't had really any issues.

could it possibly be the game install? would a reinstall be worth a shot?

Quote Originally Posted by AguaRush View Post
    could it possibly be the game install? would a reinstall be worth a shot?
    Hm.. reinstalling would likely clear the cache and pretty much put you in the same situation, maybe try lowering the view distance, that might cause things to load in at a less heavy rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Starstilanxs View Post
    Strange.. never has happened to me to be honest. I run Windows 7 x64 even. Havn't had really any issues.
    Running x64 too. On 2 PC's they run very well just Horizons is the only one that messes up on it. Also have a clean install on both, looks to me like there is something in HZs code which aint optimized for Windows 7 yet.

Hm.. reinstalling would likely clear the cache and pretty much put you in the same situation, maybe try lowering the view distance, that might cause things to load in at a less heavy rate.
    *nods* i have the distance and other things turned down, shadows off, spell effects off. guess game just doesnt like me

I also have similar symptoms as agua and dakoren. im also running windows 7.

However my problem does not come from porting here and there. I can simply fly to an area and i will have the skill delay/chat delay and have to wait it out till my char is back in sync with the server. This has caused me to land in a safe place and use my buffs. once they become instant i know i can fight.

But heres the funny thing. I get absolutely none of this lag when i go to the satyr islands and dralk. If i port to chiconis i do dispite that everything loads instantly for me there. Last stand around the marble fields is the worse place taking over 1 min 45 seconds for a skill to activate or a private message to show up. Even if i relog in the area it somtimes does not kill that delay.

now some players , not windows 7 players have had the same problem, some windows 7 players have not even had this problem at all.

dispite reinstalling. there are some issues with me with some things. Red walls around the satyrs islands, around the peak of storms. I did my breath of fire 3 quest, lightning quest and ice breath quest on my other dragon and each one i depended on another player to purchase the satyr island silver ore since the npc will ONLY sell me the formula and not the ore.

Blog Entries

One thing people really need to remember..

Istaria has sometimes massive Lag issues.
    Istaria also may still have that memory bug leak.

The probably is sometimes determining weather the cause of the problem is the system, the graphics card, something being updated in the background, to your own internet service provider, to even if the game itself is causing the issue by virtue of server lag.

There are a great deal of things to processes in when dealing with computers. Windows 7, from what I have heard, works well with all Windows XP applications.
    Windows Vista was the one where people had to make patches in order to get it working smoothly.
    This from what I heard, is not the case for Windows 7.

However, I do not use windows 7 and I use windows XP Professional and I will get these same things on my system just from normal server lag.
    It happens, it is always going to happen, it is just sometimes recognizing the difference between them all.

<snip>
    No need for video driver or sound driver updates/downloads : )
    Although it is generally a good idea to update your drivers regularly, just on principle...

I Was testing Istaria on Windows 7 and have same issue.
    After playing for 30mins - 1 hour it starts to lag , all actions are queued and done later.
    I can land in spot of mobs wait 2 mins , no mobs around , then trying to fly and bah all spawned in 1 sec and I died in air long after was in air ( one time got luck that saw myself fighting while in air for short time ), same thing with looting , waiting for loot window for like 10 seconds sometimes longer.
    For me it is bug in engine as I was testing all other options.

On Vista Istaria runs great on same machine.

The only issue I've noticed on my Win7 machine that my WinXP does not suffer from, is the TexMem value in the Lag Window, shooting up and up and up and up and up to simply ungodly numbers (I've seen 8-digit MB numbers before! lol) but I've never experienced any lag or anything.

Now, if I'm truly using 10,000,000 MB (10 Terrabytes? lol) of texture memory (I assume that's what they mean by "TexMem"), I think I'd notice some lag or something, so obviously that counter is in error....

Edit: Here's an old link:

http://dragonsguild.hypermart.net/tex_mem.png

This was after a 3h 15min session. No noticeable lag in-game whatsoever. Note the 52.0 FPS, which is on the low end of the average 50-70 I normally do.
    Last edited by Dhalin; April 25th, 2010 at 10:54 PM.

Agua, are you running on an AMD multi-core CPU or an Intel multi-core CPU? Some applications do not like the AMD "dual core optimizer" software.

You can try setting the affinity to a single cpu. You can do this after the game starts by pressing ctrl-alt-del, go to the processes tab, find istaria.exe, right click and choose set affinity. uncheck all but a single core (doesn't matter which one)

To make this a permanent setting is trickier, since the stand alone launcher doesn't really give you any options for editing a shortcut.

start /affinity 1 "c:\program files (x86)\vitrium\horizons\istaria.exe"
    or wherever the app installs itself these days.

This would need to be a line in a batch file used to launch the game. The batch file method requires a bunch of extra stuff too:

REM **batch file begin***
    C:
    cd Program files (x86)\vitrium\horizons
    start /affinity 1 istaria.exe weblaunch_standard [email protected] password chaos biotenum 0 68.142.64.210:47101 05757575757575757575757575757575757575757575757575 7reallylongnumbercontinues57575 toonfirstname DefaultShard 0
    REM **batch file ends**

note that where it says "start" all the way to "DefaultShard 0" is a single line. If on Order or Blight change "chaos" in the launch string to the appropriate shardname. Also note that the change directory line:
    cd Program files (x86)\vitrium\horizons
    may need changed to match where your game is actually installed.

To get all of this information, login to the character management page, click on one of your characters like you were going to use the website to log it in. Select a character, then right click the webpage, select view source. In the text there will be the long public key number, biote number, etc. (lines 15 to 24).

Save the above information between the lines that say REM all into a text file, rename to .bat, then double click it and use that to login.

Good chance that will fix it. Give it a try and report back the stability. If enough people report positive behavior, dev's could build this into the stand alone launcher.

If you want to try running more than one character at a time, you can set different characters' to run on different CPU cores. use affinity 1 for the first toon, affinity 2 for the second, etc. Game performs much better when each is on its' own core.

I almost always have 2 toons logged in at the same time on a single pc. My pc has an intel 4 core tho. The amd cpus (the dual core optimizer application specifically) sometimes are not friendly to single threaded apps. It tries to shift it around and load balance across multiple cores. Doesn't work too well with all programs though.
    Last edited by Guaran; April 26th, 2010 at 05:17 AM.

Doesnt explains the problems with Intel CPU's yet though. These days processors are tons more powerful and the clock rate got atleast twice as much (for a single core). Wonder whats in Windows 7 specific that screws it up other then the random memory allocation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakoren Ironhand View Post
    Doesnt explains the problems with Intel CPU's yet though. These days processors are tons more powerful and the clock rate got atleast twice as much (for a single core). Wonder whats in Windows 7 specific that screws it up other then the random memory allocation.
    See, thing is, is that not all Windows7 machines screw up -- mine doesn't, other than the TexMem counter.

I'm starting to think that this is probably a Hardware problem.

This is older software being run on a newer OS, with newer Hardware -- nothing is ever 100% backwards-compatible in the computing world, though most programs are that comfortable 99.9% but there's always that glitch somewhere that will get that 0.1% of people.

It isn't 100% the OS itself, if it were, then everyone who runs Windows7 would be experiencing these problems.

It is likely a certain piece of hardware in your computer, everyone who is experiencing these problems should list the following:

CPU type/model
    OS type (Win7 32bit or 64bit)
    GPU chipset (brand and model)
    Motherboard model, if known. If not, then at least the Northbridge.
    HDD brand and model/size
    RAM brand/model/size

There are diagnostic software downloads on the net to obtain some of this data.

ummm well i am not the smartest when it comes to how a computer works but heres what i have

http://review.zdnet.com/product/lapt...6-tft/33895355

Hmm.. you might try uninstalling the AMD Dual Core Optimizer application. That alone has solved issues with one .Net application at work.

As far as intel cpu's go, I'm running Vista 64bit on an i7-920 with 12gb ram. I do eventually still get the CTD if I am logged in long enough, port enough times, etc.. Just isn't as often as others seem to mention.

I suppose one last setting to check is your swap file size (virtual memory). best thing to do is simply set it to the "System managed size" option. I've actually got mine disabled since I have plenty of ram.

Just wanted to say that I also run Win7 x64 on a duo core intel i5 with 4gb ram, 1024mb video mem and have this same problem as well. Or when it doesn't, then it tends to hang and disconnect me a lot either between loads or just running places... All of a sudden it'll drop me to desktop as I was for example running down a road.

Been having a few texture errors lately too that I hadn't seen with winxp, the ground suddenly turning blue somewhere and it will look like I'm off the edge of the world looking up. My companion wouldn't see anything wrong. Then I relog to get my graphics back and all of a sudden I'm at the entire other end of the zone we're in.

Just weird little glitches like that. :\ And yes everything is new and up to date driver wise...

Thread Information