Thread: I can't start the game

Default I can't start the game

I installed istaria and tried to run it. it patches fine but once the game starts I get the screen flashing between a black screen and my desktop. i tried running it in windows xp compatability and still same thing. i did "turn windows features off and on" unselecting the game but still it does it. can anyone help please.

sorry my specs are:
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8600 @ 3.33GHz, 3333 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 7/31/2008
    SMBIOS Version 2.5
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
    Available Physical Memory 2.62 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 5.71 GB

Default Re: I can't start the game

Quote Originally Posted by fylith View Post
    I installed istaria and tried to run it. it patches fine but once the game starts I get the screen flashing between a black screen and my desktop. i tried running it in windows xp compatability and still same thing. i did "turn windows features off and on" unselecting the game but still it does it. can anyone help please.

sorry my specs are:
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8600 @ 3.33GHz, 3333 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 7/31/2008
    SMBIOS Version 2.5
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
    Available Physical Memory 2.62 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 5.71 GB
    I've had that similar flashing problem... it was when my display resolution in-game was set too high for the video card/monitor I was playing on. I noticed it when I would copy my prefs from one machine to another.

Try deleting the \istaria\prefs\clientprefs_graphic.def file (back it up first if you want) and let the game create a default one for you. That always fixed it for me.

that actually made it worse. before i would get the patcher when i did what you suggested it actually started flashing before the patcher even finished its scan.

hmm... it's not an OS compatibility issue, i'm running the same OS as you and it works fine for me. I once also had this issue on a different computer but i don't remember how i fixed it. i'll have to think about it a while. what is your resolution set at?
    Glindor Occulus - Ancient Dragon - 100/80/25 - (Chaos)
    FaffyMuncher - Half-Giant - 86 ELAR 30 RNGR 20 KNOC 30 OUT 25 BLK 15 MAS - (Chaos)

Cave draconis.

1920 x 1080 which windows says is the recommended resolution for my monitor

i feel like a moron it was my screen resolution i dropped it down and the game works just hate the resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by fylith View Post
    i feel like a moron it was my screen resolution i dropped it down and the game works just hate the resolution.
    On my laptop, I have to play windowed mode to get the resolution I want. Just do windowed mode and then maximize the window. If I don't I'm stuck with 800x600 on a widescreen laptop, which is not fun

sorry for the late reply, but yep that resolution is a bit high for Istaria. Glad you got it figured out!
    Glindor Occulus - Ancient Dragon - 100/80/25 - (Chaos)
    FaffyMuncher - Half-Giant - 86 ELAR 30 RNGR 20 KNOC 30 OUT 25 BLK 15 MAS - (Chaos)

Cave draconis.

Try this - go to the following folder

Istaria\resources\

open GameConst.def

Input your desired resolution and delete all other resolutions besides your desired resolution.

int list resolutionsX =
    {
    }

int list resolutionsY =
    {
    }

Run it the first time bypassing the patcher... if it works you can run the patcher later but it if it updates files u may have to do this again.

I have not found a more permanent solution but your problem sounds exactly like mine and this was my workaround.

Snowfury

Thread Information