Thread: Flight Speed / Flap Speed

Default Flight Speed / Flap Speed

Is there a way you could give us an option, to give us one generic wing-flap speed, no matter how fast we are flying, maybe give us an option to turn this new feature on/off and then give a slider bar, for us to set how fast the wings should flap?

I don't know about anyone else, but recently I just got a twin set of wing scales with Velocity V and I'm an adult, with Gift of Velocity IV.

The wing flapping rate is starting to look silly, IMO. What does that look like, at Ancient, with Velocity V scales, with Gift of Velocity V? My guess is that an ancient dragon looks like a hummingbird.

Some people might like this though (hence, the option to turn it on/off), but I'd rather have a set pace, I'd probably set it a bit easier. Also the constant "whooshwhooshwhoosh" sound tends to be distracting as well.

And then, there's the reverse -- towing a flying cargo disk. The wings flap really slow, so slow that it would be physically impossible for the dragon to remain aloft in the air. It would be nice to set the wing-flap speed to something a little more realistic.

Would something like this be possible?

Default Re: Flight Speed / Flap Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    The wing flapping rate is starting to look silly, IMO. What does that look like, at Ancient, with Velocity V scales, with Gift of Velocity V? My guess is that an ancient dragon looks like a hummingbird.
    Your guess would be correct.

While it won't solve the cargo disk slow-down issue (and in fact, probably makes it worse), you can alter a file to allow you to slow down the "hummingbird effect". The thread discussing that is here:

http://community.istaria.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19167

As to the suggestion, I personally would like to still see a little variance rather than a set animation speed; this allows for a visible difference between flying unencumbered and flying under the strain of a cargo disk. As it is though, the "window" of possible flying animation speeds is too large, in my opinion.

So perhaps a combination of a lowered animation speed and a smaller window for variance could solve this particular issue.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

As to the suggestion, I personally would like to still see a little variance rather than a set animation speed; this allows for a visible difference between flying unencumbered and flying under the strain of a cargo disk. As it is though, the "window" of possible flying animation speeds is too large, in my opinion.
    The game has it backwards in respect to cargo disks.

If you're flying with flapping wings, and the load/weight increases, wouldn't you have to beat your wings harder and faster to remain aloft as you increase the load/weight/etc placed upon you?

If anything, the faster flapping should happen when you're encumbered or towing a disk, instead of the opposite. lol.

Edit: Thanks for the link, I'll have to try playing with that. The default is 6.75, does anyone have any suggestions of what to set it Too, instead of having to log in and out several times? And if you slow the normal speed down, I assume disk speed is slowed as well?

An option to decouple wing flapping speed from translation speed and a UI element to control the decoupled flapping speed seems a bit excessive, both from a programming standpoint and from a user experience standpoint (confusion over too many knobs to turn).

What about a fixed (non-optional) change that results in a fixed wing flap speed with a small bias for encumbrance (higher encumbrance = higher flap speed)?
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

It has always seemed backwards to me. From barely flapping when encumbered with a disk to flapping with the speed of an energizer bunny when traveling long distances unencumbered. It always seemed to me that long distance travel (fast) would be more soaring with the air currents as opposed to struggling with too many resources (furious flapping).

Dracaena

Personally I like the flap speed the way it is....I feel like a slowpoke when the wings move slowly and although it's just perception, I feel like I'm going slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

Quote Originally Posted by Dracaena View Post
    It has always seemed backwards to me. From barely flapping when encumbered with a disk to flapping with the speed of an energizer bunny when traveling long distances unencumbered. It always seemed to me that long distance travel (fast) would be more soaring with the air currents as opposed to struggling with too many resources (furious flapping).

Dracaena
    This thought has occurred to me as well. Glad I wasn't the only one that felt as such. I wonder if there's a way to fix it.

Thread Information