Thread: I'm 29 and thinking of a career change, am I stupid and naive? Too old?

Default I'm 29 and thinking of a career change, am I stupid and naive? Too old?

Seriously the thought is a bit scary. Now what I would like to do is computer animation. I'm not going to quit my job and go to school full time but I will start this interest as a hobby and see where it goes from there. If it's something that I really dig then I will build up a portfolio and go back to University.

Am I stupid though? Too old? The thought is intimidating but I have a Bachelors in History, and unless I want to do teaching...I'm going no where fast with it. Not to mention...it doesn't interest me all that much. It was more my parents dream of being history teachers that was passed through me and I being the stupid kid, went along with it. What did it matter? As long as I had that piece of paper saying I finished college, then I was okay right? Right? Riiiiiggghhhttt...

Now I"m in a career that's alright, by no means am I passionate about it but it pays alright, can pay even more if I stick with it.

I just for some reason have this block in my head saying I missed my boat and there's no going back, I'm too old or it will cost too much.

Anyone else out there go through something like this and seen it through?

Any computer animators out there with some advice for starting out or even if I should?
    Order Shard - Atlanna Embergaze 100/100 Adult:
    A'Sasha Windrider - Member of Keir Chet k'Eilerten

Default Re: I'm 29 and thinking of a career change, am I stupid and naive? Too old?

No matter how set you think you are, life has a way of introducing interesting surprises. IMO, a hobby that you can expand into a second career is a good thing, unless it interferes too much with your primary (chosen) career before you're ready to give that up.

Default Re: I'm 29 and thinking of a career change, am I stupid and naive? Too old?

The only thing I can offer is that it is not an impossible thing. I'm an aircraft tech by trade and had never worked in any kind of computer graphics before I started working on Istaria. I started with the game when I was in my late 30's. Granted, I'm not relying upon it for my income but I think that if you have a genuine passion for that type of work then you can succeed. And, I'll have to say that 29 seems young to me now and with plenty of time to pursue a new direction like you are contemplating.

You are only too old to start a new career if you think you are. I know several people who made major shifts in their 40s and even 50s.

Remember that the primary benefit of a formal education (especially Liberal Arts) is learning how to learn. You should be able to learn a lot on your own and have a much clearer idea of where you want to go before needing to make any life changing decisions.

If you haven't already, I would check around the web to see if there are any industry (or even college) websites with open discussion forums. Finding a place to chat with animators and others in the trade would be very useful.
    Members of The Eyes of Istaria on Chaos; Swordmage on the Wiki.
    Bipeds: Gwendora and Flinq Armstrong
    Dragon: Gildenstern

Of course you're not too old! Having a job is actually an advantage because you can earn the money to pay for your learning, and never have to worry about getting a job once you graduate from whatever educational course you choose to follow.

I'm on the opposite end, young and fresh and nobody wants to hire me 'cause I'm qualified but not industry-experienced. What a pain in the butt!

Point is, go for it. Do what makes you happy, it's your life after all!

You are not to old to change careers. I became a police officer at age 33. I met a police recruit in the accademy who was one class ahead and he was 45 years old. He is still a police officer and loving it. I say go for it. Life isn't just about getting by its about enjoying what you do with your time at work and away(my opinion of course).
    Vengeance 100/100/41 Lunus Dragon on Chaos
    79 Million Hoard
    Moregoth the Hunter 278 rating
    28 level 100 adventure classes

Nope, never too old to change careers - as long as you accept the pay differential/time spent/hard work etc that comes along with working/school/whatever at the same time .

I went to grad school with many pepole in their 2nd careers, some in their 3rd, and at least one in his fourth (and he had been a chef, a police officer, a lawyer, and was now getting his doctorate in psychology - he was I think in his late 50s, early 60s - lol).

Now having said that - what you are choosing is a highly competitive field with an infinite number of jobs. I currently know several computer graphics degreed people (some with multiple degrees) who have never been able to land a paying job in that field. So its a tough field. Something to be aware of if you decide to take your "hobby" to the next level. Its part of the "it" thing for the last 6-10 years or so so there is a LOT of competition. Not saying don't do it - just making sure you don't do it with rose colored glasses .
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by A'Sasha View Post
    Seriously the thought is a bit scary. Now what I would like to do is computer animation. I'm not going to quit my job and go to school full time but I will start this interest as a hobby and see where it goes from there. If it's something that I really dig then I will build up a portfolio and go back to University.

Am I stupid though? Too old? The thought is intimidating but I have a Bachelors in History, and unless I want to do teaching...I'm going no where fast with it. Not to mention...it doesn't interest me all that much. It was more my parents dream of being history teachers that was passed through me and I being the stupid kid, went along with it. What did it matter? As long as I had that piece of paper saying I finished college, then I was okay right? Right? Riiiiiggghhhttt...

Now I"m in a career that's alright, by no means am I passionate about it but it pays alright, can pay even more if I stick with it.

I just for some reason have this block in my head saying I missed my boat and there's no going back, I'm too old or it will cost too much.

Anyone else out there go through something like this and seen it through?

Any computer animators out there with some advice for starting out or even if I should?
    My brother was doing proffesional websites for a living till to years ago. He gave it up to study up game development doing on the side websites to pay for his bills. early this year he started his on buisless with a group of people making games for the iphone, xbox arcade ect.

hes loving it because he fufilled somthing he wanted to do . it was a pin but the sacrifices paid off.

btw hes 35 and he did the change at 32. so no your not old for that.

Oh, you aren't stupid at all. One should be happy with life... go do what you feel like. Feel fulfilled when you do get to! Its not worth living if you aren't satisfied with how you are living.

As a start, autodesk offers maya personal learning edition. You will not be able to export or save the files you make in a format that the standard edition of maya can make use of, but you will be able to start using tutorials to learn how to make it do stuff without forking over $2000. Its a complex program so you certainly won't learn overnight, but you can do it over time in your free time. You may want to buy a book from a bookstore that covers a learning course.

Another program perhaps to look into is blender, which is open source. Personally never have been able to make heads or tails of it.

Happy learning!

I'll have to agree with everyone here. I'm certifiably old and planning on a career change in the next two years.

I've been doing network stuff pretty much since tcp/ip was invented - I joke with the 'kids' on staff here that back in my day we used to carve CPUs out of wood - but I grew up in rural cattle country and I'm seriously thinking about getting back to my roots and watching cows graze for a living.

Certainly less stress...

But before that happens I have to find someone worthy of taking up my pointy wizard hat and my staff of "kill -9", and I've just not found anyone worthy of the root password to my network yet.

Go for it. You'll only know if you try. If you don't, then in years to come you'll look back and think "What if..." ... I work in the airlines, and was in danger of never pursuing such a career, but now I'm glad I did.

While I was learning, there was one guy who got his first commercial airline job at 42... while looking after a family he was able to study and switch careers. True kudos to that guy...

Rakku

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

i am def middle aged and am contemplating making the switch from the it field (with a bachs, associates, and several certs) to motion picture wardrobing. i have always love to sew and 'specialize' in costumes. a new motion picture studio with an attached trade school opened up last year just a mile away from my house, and if i can get the funding, i am seriously considering looking into it....

a job is something you do to make money, a career is something you do because you love it.......
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Thread Information