Thread: The Hobbit movie

Default The Hobbit movie

Looks like The Hobbit is having troubles getting made. Because of all the delays caused by the sale of MGM, Guillermo del Toro just walked away from the project because the late start is causing scheduling conflicts for him down the road. And Peter Jackson has other projects he is committed to so he won't move into the director's chair. That blows. I was hoping to see the two movies in a reasonable time frame.

Default Re: The Hobbit movie

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
    Looks like The Hobbit is having troubles getting made. Because of all the delays caused by the sale of MGM, Guillermo del Toro just walked away from the project because the late start is causing scheduling conflicts for him down the road. And Peter Jackson has other projects he is committed to so he won't move into the director's chair. That blows. I was hoping to see the two movies in a reasonable time frame.
    See, I don't understand *why* they released Lord of the Rings _before_ its Prequel, The Hobbit.

The Hobbit happened chronologically before LotR; it should have been made/released first, and then the 3 LotR movies directly afterwards.

Nooo, they wait *years* and then they go "Oh, let's do The Hobbit several years later...."

Honestly I'd rather it never get made than Del Toro direct it. That's the Holy Grail of the entire series for me and the animated version is going to be tough to beat.

Del Toro...no. Even with Jackson I was a "maybe..he better do a good Smaug". But Del Toro, good - I'm glad.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
    Looks like The Hobbit is having troubles getting made. Because of all the delays caused by the sale of MGM, Guillermo del Toro just walked away from the project because the late start is causing scheduling conflicts for him down the road. And Peter Jackson has other projects he is committed to so he won't move into the director's chair.
    Like the Temeraire series in the little screen : p

I don't mind how long they take, as long as they do it right.

I'll admit I didn't like the animated version, although it was closer in spirit to the book I feel.

Rakku

Closer in spirit - it was the book directly written to screen (minus of course scenes they just didnt include) but the dialogue was directlly from the book!

here ya go

http://io9.com/5553796/why-you-shoul...eft-the-hobbit

While I disagree with the other Del Toro worship comments. I agree with the poitns she makes about his style and why I woulnt' want him to touch anything by Tolkein (or anyone else...).

Right now PJ's the only one I give credit that would do it respect. If he's not doing it I'm fine if it never gets made. I'd rather that then a destruction of the classic heh.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

Suffice to say I didn't like the animated version. I'll leave it at that. I did like the book. Perhaps my nephew would like the animated version ... I've got a dvd of it somewhere...

Rakku

Edit: Thanks for the link Frith... I'll check it out another night as gotta go to sleep for work tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    I don't mind how long they take, as long as they do it right.

I'll admit I didn't like the animated version, although it was closer in spirit to the book I feel.

Rakku
    Which animated version?

I've heard there's two of them out there. I rather liked the "first" one, that was made way back in the 80s (?). I think there's a 2nd animated version, released later, that I've heard about.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    Which animated version?

I've heard there's two of them out there. I rather liked the "first" one, that was made way back in the 80s (?). I think there's a 2nd animated version, released later, that I've heard about.
    This is the one I saw ... released in 1977 by Rankin Bass, the same name that was on Flight of Dragons.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077687/

Incidentally the latter has finally been released on DVD, but typically in the States only so us poor Brits have to import it and make sure we can deal with multi-region.

Rakku

Yes, the Rankin Bass one. That's the awesome one. His LOTR series I wasn't all that impressed with.

But his Hobbit is awesomely perfectly IMO . How do you think Frith got her good looks?
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

According to several articles that came out today PJ is in negotiations to take over as director although nothing official has been announced. And with MGM being in limbo still causing delays who knows when they might actually be able to start if he does take the job. The interesting thing is that Hobbiton has been reconstructed and is nearly ready for the crew to arrive.

Hobbiton?! I thought they only built Bag End?
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Road trip to Matamata! Oh wait, it's on an island.

I visited the sheep farm that was used for the original set. The owners kind of got the short end of the stick as far as compensation goes, so they got permission to keep parts of the set and run tours. Hopefully this time around, they get a better deal!
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Thread Information