Thread: Whyever did things change?

Default Whyever did things change?

After the 100 millionth 'idle' disconnect while experimenting with different things in the creation window...

REALLY? WHY?

WHY MUST THERE BE A TIMER THAT DISCONNECTS US?

honestly... its not like I'm just leaving the system running or whatever... I just want to get all the details for a character correct... 15, 20, or 30 minutes... just isn't enough time to express myself!

-_-;

I LOVE the ways we can so totally customize our characters, there's just so many possibilities... I can't figure out what I want....

So...WHY?

What was the purpose behind the whole 'timer until disconnect' thing? and on that note... the thing where we have to load in completely before we can move...

After a million or so more of those 'move around a bit before you do that' messages... really...WHY?

What was the purpose... the meaning, the reasoning behind it?

I find it so much more of an annoyance... heck, can't even stay in game long enough if I have to run a short errand... because when I come back "The client has been disconnected because of a communications failure'

Really? Seriously... why was it changed? -_-;

Nothing more frustrating than being disconnected when in the middle of a deep RP or something like that too because of 'communications failure' of course the character isn't moving, but I am doing something, RPing of course!

*sigh* I miss the days when I could go somewhere, run a quick errand, or even go into a many hours long RP without having to worry about disconnecting, but now... you have to keep moving or the system will boot you... grrrr.... soooo annoying!!!

Why did things change from that? Really? *grumbles, quite annoyed*

Ri'ta'ra'thi Is'mi'nei: Season 100 ADV/100 CRA/100 BLK(former)/100 LSH/ 1.11 BILLION hoard
    Kytitia Pyrrithia: Unparalleled Rating 212 Saris Sorceror, Rating 234 Crafter

Default Re: Whyever did things change?

Strangely (irritatingly) I've only had it happen for new character creation and the grace time for it is -very- short. Like, not even time for you to go to the bathroom short. Lost all my progress because I was unceremoniously dumped to desktop.

I have yet to find exactly what combination of body texture/scale color/overlay I was using. Ended up having to create a whole new one that wasn't the one I was working with and that took a while to find the combo that gave me orange

I've had it happen both in game and in creation... frankly, its putting quite a damper on things.

It happened again, when I was in the middle of adjusting some traits -_-; *sigh* why must it happen?

Devs.... really? PLEASE make it so we don't get booted any more! ugh... its soooo frustrating!

Its no fun having to take a screen shot so much JUST to keep the combination that I'm using in my mind... -_-; screenshots are for fun, cool things, troubleshooting and the like... but NOT supposed to be needed as a bookmark to remember what you were creating. Not just for dragons, but also for bipeds! I've had a number of nifty combinations for bipeds too, but in the end, its just the same BAM! disconnect 'due to connectivity issues'

Its no fun when all the progress I make is abruptly destroyed in the blink of an eye because of some... uselessly annoying timer disconnect... -_-;

Ri'ta'ra'thi Is'mi'nei: Season 100 ADV/100 CRA/100 BLK(former)/100 LSH/ 1.11 BILLION hoard
    Kytitia Pyrrithia: Unparalleled Rating 212 Saris Sorceror, Rating 234 Crafter

Ugh. The idle disconnects are still going on?

I think they were first introduced as an unintended side-effect of a client optimization, which was supposed to have been addressed.

How long do you have in char creation to do your stuff before you get kicked off? (try to be as accurate as possible)
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Without reading all the replies...

There is a simple fix to prevent auto disconnects using a macro. Just ask me ingame.

While the idle disconnects are indeed still going on, it might be a different issue with character creation unless Litarath is experiencing something I have not yet. As far as I can recall, character creation always had some sort of window of activity. I can recall many, many times where I was kicked while trying to come up with a character name, even before the idle disconnect behavior started.

In regards to the "move around a bit before you try that" messages, I'm fairly sure that was an anti-exploit change. People could apparently log out, then log back in and, without moving at first to let monsters be able to see them, heal or buff their party without risk of getting aggro.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

For Steelclaw:

-Hit the "Play-- new character on Chaos" at 12:04. (Didn't note how long it took to finish loading to character creation. 1-4 minutes, at a guess.)
    -Error ID 106 around 12:38 while in the middle of fiddling with character options.

Too lazy to check again, but that sounds roughly in line with previous "la la la character maker yay-- ACK HEY WHY'D YOU BOOT ME" experiences. So 30-35 minutes before it considers the player idle, even if they've been interacting with the options the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    In regards to the "move around a bit before you try that" messages, I'm fairly sure that was an anti-exploit change. People could apparently log out, then log back in and, without moving at first to let monsters be able to see them, heal or buff their party without risk of getting aggro.
    That's kinda funny. I'm not sure who was able to successfully pull this off, but monsters still attack me while loading. They always have. To top it off, if I try to retaliate, I get that stupid message and whatever keys I pressed are then greyed out for 20 seconds because I forgot to move.

How long do you have in char creation to do your stuff before you get kicked off? (try to be as accurate as possible)
    The time limit is about 20 mins whether you are pressing buttons or idle.
    I started at 1:40, got booted at 2:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    That's kinda funny. I'm not sure who was able to successfully pull this off, but monsters still attack me while loading. They always have. To top it off, if I try to retaliate, I get that stupid message and whatever keys I pressed are then greyed out for 20 seconds because I forgot to move.
    Now, that's interesting. o_o Never seen that happen before. Anytime I've logged in and haven't yet moved, monsters may exist on my screen, but they never move and don't see that I'm there, presumably because the server does not start sending and receiving movement/position information until it receives the first command from my client. In my experiences, other players also behave this way, i.e., I can see them, unmoving, they can't see me, and I only see where everyone else may have moved since I logged on after I move.

Now, if I fall because I was flying when I logged out/crashed, monsters will see me, but I'm fairly sure that counted as moving to satisfy that message as well. I could be wrong though; I haven't paid enough attention when that occurs.

..Hm. I wonder if it's loading screen-related? I play with it off, as do the majority of people I know. I had always assumed that the initial reprieve from monster attacks was intentional - to allow people who crash a chance at escape from monsters who would surely kill them before the loading screen was done taking its sweet time - but perhaps it's not and is actually a bug present with the loading screen turned off. Of course, this conjecture is moot if Shian has hers turned off as well.
    Last edited by Raptress; June 12th, 2010 at 07:00 PM.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Quote Originally Posted by Morphaz Bladewing View Post
    Without reading all the replies...

There is a simple fix to prevent auto disconnects using a macro. Just ask me ingame.
    Yea, but that doesn't help anyone trying to create a character - esp. new players.

I would find that a huge turnoff as a new player, I know I spent over an hour getting Frith right the first time and I KNEW the colors/look I wanted back then.

Cuz yes, it bites. There's no saving what you're working on so every time you get cutout you have to start over. Highly, highly frustrating.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Hmm, wasnt it fixed in a client that's currently on blight since August 2009? We're still on 383.15.12 at the live servers.
    Dakoren Ironhand - Multiclassed Half-Giant
    Krondel Bloodclaw - Ancient Dragon

I'm running the blight client and I have not been idle disconnected in some time.

Thread Information