View Poll Results: Which head version would you want for those dragons that use the original style head?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep the original style of khutit head.

14 18.18%
  • Use the new ture to dragon style of khutit head.

63 81.82%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Khutit

Default Re: Khutit

I really like both actually! Good Job! I like the new ones but im afraid ill miss the old one... :/ I liked to have my head the same as my real dragon but the old khutit felt like i was something different then my dragon andm more biped like. I voted for the old one (didnt win -.-) but even if the new ones get in wich they most likely will .... Well long story short i like both! Ill enjoy wichever coems out

P.S. Will they be on blight before being released?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashuran View Post
    Agh I want... now... any plans to give us all a mod file for override so we can take it for a test drive? *grabby claws*
    You will be able to pull the models and the required def files and drop them in your /resources_override folder when they make it to Blight if you want a preview. There will be 30 models and 10 def files. Not exactly sure when the next patch to Blight will be but I should be ready for that one or the next.

Though I might make a "preview" mod for something else in the works....

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
    You will be able to pull the models and the required def files and drop them in your /resources_override folder when they make it to Blight if you want a preview. There will be 30 models and 10 def files. Not exactly sure when the next patch to Blight will be but I should be ready for that one or the next.
    Awesome, thank you! I'm eager to play with these as soon as possible! (Although I might end up relying on someone else to point me at where the files end up....)

Though I might make a "preview" mod for something else in the works....
    You (wonderful) tease.

Really nice work on the head models, only personally I still prefer the old, but will probably get used to it once it reaches live servers.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy View Post
    Really nice work on the head models, only personally I still prefer the old, but will probably get used to it once it reaches live servers.
    When I got the first working prototype going I really enjoyed seeing the head I commonly use on the khutit. It just looked and felt "right" and provided the inspiration to adapt the rest. I think that when they are live that most will like the change after seeing it in person.

Of course, I am kinda biased...

When I got the first working prototype going I really enjoyed seeing the head I commonly use on the khutit. It just looked and felt "right" and provided the inspiration to adapt the rest. I think that when they are live that most will like the change after seeing it in person.

Of course, I am kinda biased...

Naw I like this too. Something I've wanted for a while as well, and I think I use the same head as you do. It'll be nice to have more variety in our Khutit forms. Er, besides colour anyway. I agree that most people will prolly like the change.

Now, if only you can get that winged Khutit form to work..... :P
    Nayuaka and Nayukhuut. Freelance Helian lorekeepers of Chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayuaka View Post
    Now, if only you can get that winged Khutit form to work..... :P
    What? This?

Seriously, though. The amount of work that it would take to make it work is fairly high and not within the scope of what is planned at this time. Wings really do not work well on a bipedal creature. They are partially rigged on this version of the model and I discovered that when folded the wings do not play nice with any part of the body and look quite cumbersome. I'm sure that with time and a lot of size adjustments I could make it work eventually but at the cost of other projects that you might find even nicer to have than a winged version of the khutit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That.. looks a little silly to me. The wings are not relaxed and the dragon would have to either hold them up or put them on its shoulders. *tries to think of an example* Umm.. Disney's Gargoyles anyone? ^^;

Yeaaaah... that looks silly. It also makes me wonder "why stop at wings? Why not just make them dog-sized miniatures of proper adults?" which of course would just be absurd. Wingless please!

I'm not the only one antsy for a new Blight delta so I can snag the new heads, right?

What? This?

Seriously, though. The amount of work that it would take to make it work is fairly high and not within the scope of what is planned at this time. Wings really do not work well on a bipedal creature. They are partially rigged on this version of the model and I discovered that when folded the wings do not play nice with any part of the body and look quite cumbersome. I'm sure that with time and a lot of size adjustments I could make it work eventually but at the cost of other projects that you might find even nicer to have than a winged version of the khutit.
    I know. I remember that from when you were playing around with the files pre-devness. I remember a cute little screenshot of a Khutit Solitaire with wings, and you said then that they didn't quite work too. I am curious to hear what these other projects are though.
    Nayuaka and Nayukhuut. Freelance Helian lorekeepers of Chaos.

Yeaaa Solitaire. A 7 year bug finally fixed!!

(and trust me when I say that yes, the screenies may make the heads look a bit big but when in game and you see that neck...they are better this way.)

Awesome work and so psyched for whatever all else everything you're working on
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

My take on this, it is a shape shift form. By the very nature of shape shift it means not your true form. Having a head that wasn't your true form to me was part of being shape shifted. I have never understood the fuss all these years that khutite form has existed. I know I was always in the minority.

To be honest, I would prefer my fin head dragon kept the old khutite style head. I do have a new hatchling who used the crown of thorns head and I really don't have a preference, I can't see that much difference in the photos. Though I know this update will be popular with many players.

My wish list would be belly scale color up to my chin matching, and I noticed a hole in the head at the back below the dorsal fin. And the darn bit of texture dangling off the 3rd fin of the dorsal at top of head. (this on the fin head).

Thanks for all your hard work, Solitaire!

Dracaena

edit: I think the belly scale color up to chin is now available for new dragons, just wasn't when I made mine 2382 days ago.
    Last edited by Dracaena; July 1st, 2010 at 10:55 PM.

I like those new head, it makes khutits look different, but what I would prefer is that they make other dragons and khutits look better, I mean every adult and ancient I see has an undetailed body. With the khutit it's even worse, the head is just a triangle.

And that winged version of the khutit looks very nice, so could you show us how it looks like when it is moving? Maybe it does look good.

Undetailed? What do you mean by that?

If the khutit heads are just low detail triangles for you it sounds like your client is using the extreme low level of detail model. Do you have any mods installed? Been changing any .def files? Even with your graphic detail down at the lowest level it should not really be using that model. But it is a default fallback in case other files are missing or there is a def file issue.

I'm not planning on developing the winged version any further at the present time. It was an experiment and just does not work right in my opinion.

No, I don't have any mods and, as far as I know, I haven't deleted any files except of clearing cache.

And I understand that you won't continue with the winged khutit.

Yea Stephen it sound silke your graphics are too low - because I'd have to say of all the complaints/improvements I'd ask for in game - dragon *detail* on the player models is not on that list. They are pretty highly detailed, esp. compared to other player charctres. So if you're seeing triangle heads or you're not seeing the spots/stripes/scale patterns/horns/ridges etc. on a dragon then I think you've got something turned down or not enabled or something. "Undetailed" they are not. I've rarely seen two dragons (hatchlings through ancients in the six years I've played) who look alike. Similiar yes, but rarely alike (though the red body with the lava spot patterns is prolly the most popular heh).

Now your grahpic level of display (wether its the low-texture loading automatically that you have to turn off yourself as detailed in another thread - the low-texture auto-load makes many dragon patterns blurry unless I zoom way in) could very wel be causing this problem for you.

I know a close friend in game who I played with for five years never knew I had orange spots for four+ of those years (I have the teeny tiny orange spots decale with gold highlights but no scale pattern or other swirlies) until she upgraded her computer and was able to turn up the detail.

I remember when she came back to game and asked me if I rerolled cuz she'd never seen the orange spots. I had not - she had just never seen them because her computer didn't have the graphics turned up high enough to have them render lol. So get in game and mes with your graphic settings/LOD and zoom WAY in on bodies (and/or turn off the low texture loading).

And Dracaena as Sol said you'll be able to use the original. As to why this "bug' was ever such a "big deal" to me it just spoke to sloppiness at release. It was a huge, glaring, obvious, "not right" display on the game and to me always represented that "not done but we have to launch it anyway" issue. The fact that such a glaring bug went unaddressed for the last 6/7 years since launch is just - sloppy to me. I understand "other things" are more important or game breaking or making or whatever - but it was just one of those long standing original issues that could/was used to point to over-arching problems in the game and its development.

I mean we're not talkin some quest text misspelling or some item with wierd stats or pictures or even some wierd running/breathing animation - its your dragon's HEAD in what was at the time part of the biggest signature quest in the game, the BODY of your character you spend all the time customizing - only to be reminded each time you have to use it that its WRONG. That the devs dont consider it a priority, and just a sloppy/unfinished "flag" If you will of what frustrates you about "things that are broken that never get fixed."

Most games have such a list - but rarely in my experience was it something so obviously glaring as "broken".

To have it finally fixed - its just *nice*. I gave up expecting it to ever be fixed, but by golly it was part of the "list of stuff just done sloppily and never addressed" that slammrs could always point to when downing on the game - and even fanbois had to admit was an unaddressed, glaring, bug.

Now, as the game dev. has gone on there have been now other ways to address the size issues and at this point Khutit seems more of a cosmetic/fun thing. But I remember when it was practically the *only* option we had to fit into craft rooms and get to machines and NPCs out in the field. When Khutit was a BIG deal. Even if now its rarely ever used/seen.

Now if was say something introduced at THIS point in the game - somtehing put in as "this is a fun cosmetic thing for dragons to play with" - then no the head bug probably wouldn't have become such a "symbol" or "big deal". We would have accepted "ok this is a fun thing to have but it won't be worked on or ever really finished we can just play with it" (ala the Arena for example).

Yea..I'm bored why do you ask?
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Check to make sure you do not have anything in the \resources_override folder. If you do and it pertains to dragons, khutit or dragonman then delete them.

Failing that, try cranking up your graphics detail to max and see if that works.

Make sure you do a full patch.

There are more drastic options such as deleting folders and doing a full patch to make sure you have the correct files. But don't want to do that unless you still have a problem. Could you take a screen shot of the khutit close in so that I can determine which of the models it is using?

There indeed was something in that folder and I deleted it.

As for a screenshot, well I just quited playing. The reason that I posted a reply was cause I might return. but for now I can't login. If I still have the problem when I play again, I will probably just make a new topic or ask my guild members. Still thanks.

I love the way the new heads look Sol! youre doing great work! and are missed in game too! bravo!

Thread Information