Thread: Deadly Poison Rant

Default Deadly Poison Rant

Right, so as of the last patch, the purple tarantulas and weavers seem to have gained a new poison ability.

The guts of the ability :

Prevents actions for 30 seconds.
    Sets strength, dexterity, focus and power to 80% of normal totals.
    Does 120 direct nature damage every 5 seconds for the duration.
    Cannot be dispelled.

This is absolutely insane. The weavers and tarantulas are all highly social and it's quite a challenge to pull only 1 and kill that 1 without getting any additional aggro. You now have to face being disabled for 30 seconds of the fight without being able to heal yourself, which means you not only have to have 900+ health in reserve at all times, but you ALSO have to have enough extra health to deal with any extra attacks while you run around like a useless idiot trying to not draw any other nearby mobs into also attacking you.

Wtf? How is such an ability appropriate to put on every t5 spider mob, when the ONLY way to "sort-of" defend against it, is a top end spell which can only protect you 2 out of every 5 minutes? Nevermind the fact that if you aren't in a mystic class, you can't even use it period. And to add insult to injury, making the spell requires 5 purple weaver venom.

Default Re: Deadly Poison Rant

there are supposed to be potions against it too, no?

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    there are supposed to be potions against it too, no?
    How are you going to use a potion when the poison prevents all actions?

well if you know you're going after them, take it beforehand. i sometimes do that with vestia's when i know i'll be taking a bunch of damage in battle. the effect lasts a little while, doesn't it? or am i off my hinge?

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    well if you know you're going after them, take it beforehand. i sometimes do that with vestia's when i know i'll be taking a bunch of damage in battle. the effect lasts a little while, doesn't it? or am i off my hinge?
    Apparently you can keep immunity up constantly using potions, But you need 1 purple venom per 2 potions, which means that unless you're a *godly* hunter, you aren't going to farm venom quickly enough to keep a healthy stock of potions.

And as I stated in the bugs thread, I managed to farm over 40 weaver trophies while finding a mere 5 venom. Those 5 venom took me over 2 hours. Not really reasonable to spend 2 hours hunting for a mere 20 minutes of immunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarog View Post
    Apparently you can keep immunity up constantly using potions, But you need 1 purple venom per 2 potions, which means that unless you're a *godly* hunter, you aren't going to farm venom quickly enough to keep a healthy stock of potions.

And as I stated in the bugs thread, I managed to farm over 40 weaver trophies while finding a mere 5 venom. Those 5 venom took me over 2 hours. Not really reasonable to spend 2 hours hunting for a mere 20 minutes of immunity.
    30 Seconds is an awfully long time...A fair bit inane really. I mean as a Reaver you could be life sucking them for awhile with spells to keep you going but even then it is not going to see you through that sort of nonsense and of course I can imagine the moment it would wear off BAM they give you another dosage or one of their friends does.

I had a similar problem with a named Ish'kuk over in Scorp Isle with my dragon where he would ALWAYS bring friends and even with TWO of us going after them between his AoE Stun and the Warrior's normal stuns we were literally kept in perpetual stun-lock until death. Could not do ANYTHING whatsoever until our HP gave out.

Y'all knew stuns were coming around, didn't you?

A 30-second long stun is just ludicrous.

Nobody likes to sit around helpless for _thirty seconds_ unable to do anything whatsoever at all, especially when the mobs are social as you said.

I know uberpeds and geared-up dragons are powerful, but come on, 30-second long "can't act" ability?

I can't help it, I agree with the OP: That is just plain ridiculous.

Suddenly one of the dull and boring mobs got a little bit harder to deal with and there's cries of "this is insane!".

Trepidation is another stun you might get hit with, so you'll probably want to complain about that, although it doesn't come with a DoT, the mobs just get to pound you for about a minute while you stand there helpless.

Next complaint after that could be Vexators and their "insane" stun/DoT.

As you've already discovered in this thread and possibly elsewhere, there are ways to tackle the problem.

There's no need for you to be a "godly hunter" against these poor little spiders.

*forgot something* You do know you can run around when you're hit by deadly poison. So....Run away!

I agree with Vortura here.

As usual its a question of right scales, spells, Xtals, the use of abilities, potions and experience and tactics.

Not talking about the op, BUT

an ancient dragon can handle and survive nearly everything.
    But consider: One scale set is not enough, one claw is not enough, unteched spells are not enough. Potions are there to be used, ability quests have to be played. Even armor of the watcher is fine for an ancient (t2 quest as far as I remember)- and well I don`t use or need hero`s resolve- but I have it.

I often hear that drags do not like to craft-but you have to to make teched scales and spells- and you have to hunt on Satyr to get comps for that.
    Or find someone to supply you with that.

It`s not that the mob is too strong- you are too weak.

Learn about what dragons can do--its easier to become an uber-drag than an uber biped.
    But all that takes time, and patience is required.

Those tarantulas are not really a prob for me, nor are the scorpions in DD.
    Its not that I love to hunt them-but if I need to I can.

And again- its a mmorpg- don`t do it alone
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Greater Primal Cure Poison. It lets you be immune to such things for 5 or so mins I think.
    "State your case, but do it well. I do not suffer fools gladly." ~Sereamha Balla-dor

Quote Originally Posted by Sereamha View Post
    Greater Primal Cure Poison. It lets you be immune to such things for 5 or so mins I think.
    The spell has a 5 minute cool down, the immunity lasts 2 minutes. I think there is a biped equivalent.

But it is about tactics. First spot I encountered it the respawn was insane. No matter how many tarantulas I killed I still had the same number there. Found another hunting spot and things went smooth and got the comps I needed that night.

Dracaena

Quote Originally Posted by Vortura View Post
    Suddenly one of the dull and boring mobs got a little bit harder to deal with and there's cries of "this is insane!".

Trepidation is another stun you might get hit with, so you'll probably want to complain about that, although it doesn't come with a DoT, the mobs just get to pound you for about a minute while you stand there helpless.

As you've already discovered in this thread and possibly elsewhere, there are ways to tackle the problem.

There's no need for you to be a "godly hunter" against these poor little spiders.

*forgot something* You do know you can run around when you're hit by deadly poison. So....Run away!
    Stuns/DoTs are fine, until their durations get to be some ludicrous number like 30 seconds.

In most MMOs, and even elsewhere in Istaria, you'll see 5-10 second long stuns, and those are annoying enough that they _can_ become very dangerous, especially if you get hit with one or two of them back-to-back.

But each one, lasting 30 seconds long?

Thirty Seconds in a game like this is a long, long, long time.

Many mobs can take you from 100% to 0% in thirty seconds. And running around doesn't do you much good when you aggro more crap in doing so.

If they wanted the poison to be an ability that's challenging, hey that's fine. What I don't like, however, is the sheer overpowered-ness that is a thirty-second time-period where you're virtually helpless (other than running away, which can many times do you more harm than good).

They could, say, cut the stun time in half, but increase the DoT and -stats a little?

Quote Originally Posted by Vortura View Post
    No. Trepidation is a mez, not a stun, and it gets removed as soon as you take damage.

Vextators are withered aegis mobs; they don't spawn in groups, aren't in any way social and their stun(s) last about 10 seconds. I can take on 5 red vexators at the same time and come out the other side with barely a scratch on me when I play as my spirit disciple.

No. Being forced to wait 3 minutes for a spell to cooldown is not a "way to tackle the problem". Would you claim the same thing if a t5 mob was only killable using a boar hide mask?

I never said there was; but a 30 second stun which cannot be reasonably countered, which is spammed by the mobs as a whole is entirely inappropriate for a garden variety t5 mob.

Ok. I tell you what. You let me know when you're willing to go hunt purple tarantula venom, and I will watch you spend 30 minutes doing just that. Then after those 30 minutes, you can show me how much venom you have acquired and you can tell me whether or not you think the 30 second stun spam is "reasonable". Deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Xarog View Post
    No. Trepidation is a mez, not a stun, and it gets removed as soon as you take damage.
    Correct, mezz it is! My bad. I mentioned it as an example of something else which takes you out of play for an extended period. It bugs me (but not enough to rant about it) when I play my Healer in a group because you get mezzed for about a minute while someone else has aggro, so you just have to wait it out.

Vextators are withered aegis mobs; they don't spawn in groups, aren't in any way social and their stun(s) last about 10 seconds. I can take on 5 red vexators at the same time and come out the other side with barely a scratch on me when I play as my spirit disciple.
    Just another example of a stun. They used to be social, those were the days.
    Taking on 5 vexes at a time without a scratch, I'm happy for you.

No. Being forced to wait 3 minutes for a spell to cooldown is not a "way to tackle the problem". Would you claim the same thing if a t5 mob was only killable using a boar hide mask?
    The good old Chewbacca defense makes an appearance.
    So there's a spell (although only usable by certain classes), potions, maybe CoT or spiked scales and the fact you can still run around. You could also use your own mezzes and stuns, Daunting mist etc. Don't forget tactics and choosing an appropriate class for what you're doing.

I never said there was; but a 30 second stun which cannot be reasonably countered, which is spammed by the mobs as a whole is entirely inappropriate for a garden variety t5 mob.
    Surely to "run around like a useless idiot" is better than being totally disabled.
    Maybe, just maybe, not every class is able to hunt every mob as effectively as any other class. (see my hunting results below)

Ok. I tell you what. You let me know when you're willing to go hunt purple tarantula venom, and I will watch you spend 30 minutes doing just that. Then after those 30 minutes, you can show me how much venom you have acquired and you can tell me whether or not you think the 30 second stun spam is "reasonable". Deal?
    OK, and here's the result:
    I wasn't sure whether you were ranting about tarantulas or weavers, so I hunted (solo) both species for half an hour each.
    I didn't bother with the potions because I can't make them and didn't have access to someone who does. Also, I can't cast the spell because I don't have it, and probably couldn't cast it anyway.

Tarantulas on Alged:
    Time Stunned: 60 secs (hit twice)
    Mobs killed: 44
    Venom looted: 15

Weavers in Spirit Swamp:
    Time Stunned: 0
    Mobs killed: 29
    Venom looted: 7

If it's all too much trouble for you playing solo in your chosen class, you could get a group, buy the venom from someone else, or petition the devs to bring back Nadia. As I mentioned above, not every class comes with an instant win button against every mob, no matter how much you rant that it's just not fair or reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by DHALIN
    They could, say, cut the stun time in half, but increase the DoT and -stats a little?
    Post that as a suggestion and you might get attention from the Devs for this "issue". If you're really lucky and put your case across well enough, they may just change things around a little.

On encounters, what's missing in various considerations is the balance between annoying and challenging. Mezz mobs tend to be more annoying than anything.

Thread Information