Thread: Java Launcher Thoughts?

Default Java Launcher Thoughts?

Greetings Istarians,

As I'm sure you've noticed, the developers have been making changes to the launcher, both with fixes, performance improvements and adding features. One of the developers asked me to check with the community for their thoughts on us switching to using Java instead of .NET for the launcher.

There's a few assumptions that can be made about the switch:
    - no changes to functionality or performance
    - same look and feel

The reason this came up is that the support team deals with broken .NET installations fairly often and it's usually a lengthy issue to help people resolve, not to mention the untold people who have trouble and simply don't contact support (we're thinking new players). The thought is that by moving over to Java, we'd simplify the installation process, improve compatibility and hopefully improve first time players getting into game, and as an added bonus, support for that handful of Linux players out there.

We'd like to know if you have Java installed, and if not, would you consider installing it, and if you prefer Java over .NET for one reason or another.

Please comment here:
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...d.php?p=251189

I'll take all the comments and "boil" it down for the development team so they can decide if we stay on the .NET course, or make the switch to Java.

Thank you,

Amarie
    Last edited by Amarie Ancalimon; August 10th, 2010 at 05:21 AM. Reason: insert link for comments

Thread Information