Thread: Any tips for a "dragon's" dragon lair?

Default Any tips for a "dragon's" dragon lair?

I have some lairs that are functional (Eg. Tenkako's lair in Back Bay, Shian's Lair in Winter's Peak) and a few that are merely for fun or aesthetics. (Brighthear'ts lair in Genvia or Ricar's lair in Drakul)

Been thinking about deconning one of the lairs and trying a new design. I've been an in game decorator for years (over different games of course) and have even planned out some other dragon's lairs by request. Right now I'm trying my hand at creating the most dragon-ish lair I can using some of the tricks other players have taught me.

For example, some players hide a lair chamber in the deepest part of the lair for their dragon to rest- the furthest away from anything else and is therefore, the quietest and most private.

Another places a small lair chamber at level 0 by first going down into main hall chambers, then back up using the orientation technique on a spiral. By having this helian lair chamber at the topmost level, one creates a "summer lair" and a "winter lair" is created by placing a lunus one deeper in towards the bottom.

I've used pawnbrokers off a lair to do nothing but serve as "hatching chambers" or non-activated machine chambers to serve as foyers.

Another player used a closed spiral right at the entrance "to better defend the lair from intruders" and works much like a castle staircase, limiting the movement of those within it.

Anyone have any tips that they use for their lair that serve no other purpose other than to be more dragon-ish?
    Last edited by Shian; September 7th, 2010 at 06:04 AM.

Default Re: Any tips for a "dragon's" dragon lair?

I've been using unactivated machine rooms for living spaces, murals wherever I feel I can put them without looking tacky, but for more fun, consigner and pawnbroker rooms have been used for the orb. Those orbs are a really beautiful decoration and in my particular lair using them, they act as arcane barrier/shield generators to block someone's path.

The titian mine so far has a layout where it branches at the start, and a person can easily get turned around and wind right up at the entrance. In character you have an option with trying to fiddle your way through three shield generators, or one shield generator and passing right by the lair guardian's room. Either way, its hard to infiltrate the place.

As far as I know, have an ego. Make elegance and shinies, but of course only if your sanity can hold the work involved.

I've always wanted to do a maze -- jam-pack the lair with corridors, slopes, and spirals. Leave no space unused! Located at the 'end' of the maze is a single lair chamber stocked with tokens that can be brought back to me and redeemed for something on them (like a free tech comp or scale...). Alternatively, put some cruddy item in the lair with the inscription "Nothing to see here... move on, move on!".

I don't have the free plot slot to do this though. -_-

And yes, there are ways to cheat, so it's definitely on the honor system...
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Well I've seen all of what you mentioned before Shian, and use a few of those "dragony" qualities myself.

I have (or will have) most of the rooms just for looks and variety's sake - since I'm parked in Chiconis the *need* for me to activate rooms isn't as pressing (though I have activated a few just out of sheer laziness and hatred of crafting to even go up the hill to finish items..LOL).

So as I result I have several different versions of the "blue shinies" room as I call it (I gues sthat's the essence chamber? LOL), only one activated - though I LOVE the sphere in that chamber for RP purposes as well (though yes the Pawn sphere is bigger, for some reason the smaller one seems more character friendly to me).

And to me the tier I silo's in my lair I call "hatchling" lairs heh.

So I would imagine if the lair is "pure just as a dragon would have it" there may be only one floor with machines, the "public" floor, and the rest is more 'private'. Which to me says lots of winding passageways leading up and down into private chambers; maze-like but not just one central area. To me I imagine a dragon would have lots of chambers to duck into, hide in, tuck horard into, etc. if another part of the lair was "invaded."

When I first started designing the lair I tried to come up with a way that there would be one of the big 'Lair' chambers that would be blocking/guarding multiple smaller lairs as to set up the idea of the adults guarding the chambers where the eggs/young would be. But it doesn't really work the way the lairs are in game (would be I imagine almost impossible to find the space to say put a tier IV/V lair and then multiple tier I lairs "behind" or "below" it more than 1 or 2 lol); and the chambers are far bigger than when I first had the idea - unless you did string 4-5 tier I silos down a hallway on the bottom of a major lair, then you could have the idea that they are hatchling rooms (at the very very bottom...).

I too have got the one "upper" lair (Helian) and one "lower" lair (Lunus). I didn't realy think summer/winter when I designed it - I just liked how I saw the layout in another lair of having an almost "hidden" lair chamber; with only one entrance below (like level 3) even if its placed on level 1 (no entrances on level 1 or 2).

That to me felt "dragony" as well .
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    I've always wanted to do a maze -- jam-pack the lair with corridors, slopes, and spirals. Leave no space unused! Located at the 'end' of the maze is a single lair chamber stocked with tokens that can be brought back to me and redeemed for something on them (like a free tech comp or scale...). Alternatively, put some cruddy item in the lair with the inscription "Nothing to see here... move on, move on!".
    This is what Brightheart's lair in Genevia currently is

I decided to make a dragon version of the full plot maze in Carmo- no reason for bipeds to get all the fun! The ending is a shrine, although now that you mention it, a lair chamber would be better. I used a tent and a house in the biped maze, but had forgotten about having the shinies as a reward until you mentioned it.

I also have one of every mural in that lair, so if you've memorized the way to the shrine, you can pick a mural off the list and try to find it or have races to see who can get to a specific one first. I've only dug to the 2nd level in though, so will be a month or two until it is all dug out (school impending). It should be TONS easier now that I have all the murals open and I don't have to find a specific spot to place materials. Anyone need some T1 exp?

and I really appreciate all the advice and ideas! Keep them coming please

Shian, unless Steelclaw has a toon on Order he will not be able to examine Brightheart's Genevia Lair Maze.

Knossos

All the more reason to have an alt for each server

How do you go about getting a lair anyway? After paying for the subscription, I mean.

My first venture into Istaria fanfiction: link and my other fanfics: link and artwork: link

Run around looking at lair plots (they are the big holes in caves around mountains...) that are for sale (you can click on them jus tlike biped plots for info).

See how much the ones you want cost, and then pay for it when you have the gold...

Also Lairs are in 3d space, so you'll get measurements like 144x144x144 or wahtever (they vary greatly). SOmeone else can explain the math as to what size the measurements work out too, I've never understood it myself..lol.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    Run around looking at lair plots (they are the big holes in caves around mountains...) that are for sale (you can click on them jus tlike biped plots for info).

See how much the ones you want cost, and then pay for it when you have the gold...

Also Lairs are in 3d space, so you'll get measurements like 144x144x144 or wahtever (they vary greatly). SOmeone else can explain the math as to what size the measurements work out too, I've never understood it myself..lol.
    Cool. But what I don't understand is how the Lairshaping plays into that if the lair was already built by someone else and they're only selling it. Wouldn't their rooms still be there? And what happens to a lair you're working on if the "landholder" subscription expires?

My first venture into Istaria fanfiction: link and my other fanfics: link and artwork: link

Quote Originally Posted by flamestar View Post
    Cool. But what I don't understand is how the Lairshaping plays into that if the lair was already built by someone else and they're only selling it. Wouldn't their rooms still be there? And what happens to a lair you're working on if the "landholder" subscription expires?
    Usually people decon the structures for the novians. If you click on the structure and there is a list on the bottom left hand side(under the ownder info and price), then there are structures. If there is nothing in that spot, then there are no structures. If you work on a lair and the plot holder expires and does not resub, the structures get deleted and the plot holder gets 80% of the resources deposited in their vault.

As for how to calculate sizes, you just that the number of the dimension and divide it by 24 to get how many spaces there are:
    3=72
    4=96
    5=120
    6-144

so a 144 x 96 is a 6x4.

I avoid using corridors, and use t6 craft chambers instead to wake my way downwards, making a cool maze-looking thing. I always use a lair chamber as entry point, think it's nice when you enter into a large hall.like chamber when arriving.

...come to think of it, I might just tear the whole place down and put in nothing but t6 lairs...

The Piano Forge, Spires Shadow

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    Usually people decon the structures for the novians. If you click on the structure and there is a list on the bottom left hand side(under the ownder info and price), then there are structures. If there is nothing in that spot, then there are no structures. If you work on a lair and the plot holder expires and does not resub, the structures get deleted and the plot holder gets 80% of the resources deposited in their vault.

As for how to calculate sizes, you just that the number of the dimension and divide it by 24 to get how many spaces there are:
    3=72
    4=96
    5=120
    6-144

so a 144 x 96 is a 6x4.
    Cool. But that sounds like it would be a pretty small lair. Wait- So if I get a lair, and my subscription expires, I'd have to re-sub the same day it expires or lose all the work on it? (I pay one month at a time, seems easier for me then the recurring subscription) 0_o

You'll get an email before that happens, telling you you need to resub. If you lapse in your payment, you get 70% of your resources back or something like that, so better to decon it yourself for 80% if for some reason you cannot pay that month. You never lose "all" your work.

Oh, ok. Thanks for the advice.

I'm back. In the addition to the above, now I am looking for what people have repurposed chambers for.

I find that when designing lairs I end up with something that looks like this:
    corridor (low level unactivated machine chamber)
    foyer (hall or T4 unactivated machine)
    sleeping chamber (lair)
    sleeping chamber (unactivated machine)
    corridor
    sleeping chamber+ egg hatchery (lair+ unactivated pawnbroker)
    shrine
    guard sleeping chamber (unactivated cauldron)
    combat practice arena (T5 hall)
    spell practice arena (T4 unactivated crystal chamber)

.... My Ancients sure love sleeping... most of my entire lair is sleeping chambers. Has anyone more creative than I come up with some use for a chamber not related to its intention?

Thread Information