Thread: It's just too bad...

Default It's just too bad...

...the idea of mounts and such has been thrown out completely. I have an idea on how it could be done that might be possible with istarian engine mechanics.

Use the same feature that is used by costumes which turn your (biped) character into another creature (zombie for instance, or back when they were bugged, hellhound). The 'mount' item when used transforms the character's geometry into a new entity which is the character+the mount as one object.

The character+mount object could be made using already in-game geometry by simply adding the player race geometry to the mount geometry (let's say adding a sslik to a gruok for example) with some slight modifications (posing the sslik to a seated position, adding a saddle to the gruok), and adding the player race's customizable variables to the player race part's geometry (such as armor, colors, etc.). The resulting entity would move, clip, and load as a single object.

As for benefits of having a mount, (other than awesome factor) that's a tricky bit. Super simple would be to just add something about equivalent of road bonus that works off-road (probably overriding normal road bonus). Interesting and unique in an MMO (as far as I'm aware anyway) would be to allow a mounted entity a different movement ability for each type (gruok might run faster overland, giant beetle, while normal speed, might be able to 'hover' over obstacles like up steep rocks). The latter would probably require additional coding however that would cancel out the relative simplification of the idea.

Now I don't know if doing it this way has ever been considered at all, but only obvious complications (to me) that would make it difficult are:

1) the new entities would probably have to be re-rigged and/or reanimated... the 'mount' part could behave normally, but the 'player race' bits would need new animations in order for your sslik-mounted gruok not to look like a sslik mannequin sitting on top of a live gruok. Animations for idle, walking/running, and possibly jumping would likely be all that's needed, but the new entity would have zero emotes unless those were added later.

2) although I think this idea might be simplified, it probably still requires more development resource than our team is willing to commit. Even using existing creatures as mounts (and I think it would be simply awesome to have riding wolves, gruoks, beetles, or cows!) would still require new entities to be made for each combination of player and mount, and even such small modification as adding tack to the creatures in question would still take time and effort that the team just thinks is better spent somewhere else.

As I stated, it's just too bad... the immersion and 'cool factor' that "unneccesary" features like these could add to the game shouldn't be underestimated... we could use every little thing we can get to attract players and keep them immersed.

Default Re: It's just too bad...

That IS a very interesting post actually. And while I agree fluff should never be underestimated, I know too well that if it isn't already readily available, there is no way it going to be built from scratch.

At this point, we can only pray there is a person out there who has the intricate knowledge and access to the tools and programs required, is able to successfully make mounts a workable concept with the game's engine, and then sends it all gifted wrapped at the developers' doors tied in a pink bow.

And even then it probably still wouldn't work. :P

I lurk within the depths of your mind, for I am INSANITY!

And then there's always the question of "Do the devs want it in the game even if it is possible with the current engine"?

Maybe there's some reason why they think we shouldn't have them, even if it were possible.

What a briljant idea! It shouldn't be dismissed just like that I think.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Default Hrm

Would not the Dragons eat most of the mounts?

Honestly, it is not a horrid idea especially with the unique movements but I cannot say I really want it that much. The idea of being able to carry another person (either in your arms or a Dragon Carrying a Biped) sounds more interesting to me. *shrugs*

haha, this made me think of something, horses are NEVER mentioned in the game, BUT in dalimond there is a house (or brist, dont remember) with a rug that has horses on it, if i can find a screenie of it i might show it on here

Thread Information