Thread: Drain Strike II: Kill 40 Water Golems

Ahkaskar

Default Drain Strike II: Kill 40 Water Golems

This quest, with the way things are right now, is absolutely absurd. At the moment, I am spending much more time killing the sand ogres/pygmies (which don't even give decent XP) than I am killing the water golems (which are often far enough under the water, I have to pretty much swim for them). For every 5 water golems, I have to pry 20-30 sand ogres/pygmies off my poor dragon's back. I could understand this if the requirement were lower, but 40? It's ridiculous.

The problem is more in the runaway spawn of the sand pygmies/ogres. I don't think we really need quite that many running laps around every inch of the Lakes of Crystal Tears.

Default Re: Drain Strike II: Kill 40 Water Golems

Use Dragon's Reach to get them to come to you from underwater.

They spawn pretty fast.

Ahkaskar

Fine idea. Though, I was already doing that.

Ahkaskar

For the record, I got through this quest. I had to find a "sweet spot" on the western part of the shore where the sand ogres/pygmies didn't venture too close to. The water golems, on the other hand, tend to walk up through the area and on up over the hill, so it's easy to get swarmed.

I chose to wait on this quest until I got my wings. Sounds silly, but the quest is cake if you can fly, you can actually kill them underwater and fly out before you drown.
    Twelvebagger
    12x100. <-- I did monk!
    Twelvebagger's Mistress (pinkie!)
    Redo the loot tables and bring on the undead hordes! (*Hands Beer to NimK)

And there are other places where there are water golems... not just right there by the sand pygmies.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ahkaskar
    For the record, I got through this quest. I had to find a "sweet spot" on the western part of the shore where the sand ogres/pygmies didn't venture too close to. The water golems, on the other hand, tend to walk up through the area and on up over the hill, so it's easy to get swarmed.
    I found that sweet spot too. Though getting swarmed usually wasn't too bad. Spiked Scales did it's job there.
    Explorer 80%
    Killer 46%
    Achiever 40%
    Socializer 33%

riddik2005

i havnt taken this quest yet but hope to be soon im not sure what you could do i would suggest dragons reach but as you were allready doing so i guess thats out and also the spiked scalesabilaty is very handy if you have it so i would say its your best bet use spiked scales to eliminate any sand ogres/pigmes and then use dragons reach to take care of the water golems this should work i hope and then there is always your gold rage and silber strike and ravage to quickly take care of the water golems try to keep moving around the lake to tah should keep the sand ogres/pigmes of your back hopefully

well hope that helps ohh and gratz on completing the quest the hard way

Although I have not done this quest myself - it has changed since I was that level - It seems to me that you could go to that small island off the coast that you can walk to and pick off the northernmost of the water gols without having any ogres around you - you could probably do it pretty easily off the beach too.

Remember that you can go into the water to get them out - as long as you get out before your breath runs out.

Cast prime bolt - or improved (if you don't have reach), wade into the water until you are in range and the bolt fires - wade out again and then kill the water gol.

If the water is shallow - jumping will get your head out and give you another breathtoo.

Always look for the best place to fight from - some places will get you killed in a matter of seconds - others give you all the time you need to plan and execute your attack.

Do it on the eastern shore of Lesser Aradoth, just south of the wolves, north of any of the ogres/pygmies. Large area for hunting water golems without fear of interference from other types of mobs. Nice supply of water golems in the area too.
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

Wirevix

Hm. I don't know, when I went through the quest I did it the "hard way," but I never had a problem reaching the Water Golems, and the Ogres/Pygmies weren't really strong enough to kill me unless I was attacked by more than three at a time. Then again, I was willing enough to spend several hours on it, going up onto the hill next to the Sslik NPC to rest between each individual fight.

Part of the questing is for you to get to know your surroundings and find yourself those sweet spots and places that are best for hunting particular mobs.

Another part is for you to learn how to get the most out of virtually nothing.

And, of course, questing requires patience.

Many have done it before you, many will do after you. :)

I, as Twelvebagger did, waited 'til I had my wings. Even when I had my wings though I still would die occasionally when I'd wait for my breath bar to be almost out and an ogre would get a stun off at the last second; other than that the quest was pretty easy. But I agree, the amount of 40 is a bit rediculous, took me well over 30 minutes. But hey, that's the point on questing right?
    Last edited by Abraxes; April 8th, 2006 at 09:38 AM.

This post is rather old but i'll add to it anyway. Moving directly inland (West I believe) from where the OP was hunting will take you to the lake of Crystal Tears which is where the quest giver suggests you hunt. There is a nice spot at the second lake that you can pull to and the mobs are lvl 19 and 20. the spawn is just fast enough to keep you going with minimal down time. This was the first lvl 20 ability quest that I took right at lvl 20. I dinged lvl 21 by the time i had killed all 40 needed to complete.

WOW!!!!

3 1/2 year bump. Is this a record?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoberton View Post
    WOW!!!!

3 1/2 year bump. Is this a record?
    Forums rules state that creating new threads when one already exists on the topic is undesired. (In some cases results in merged threads or deleted/locked threads). Who knows if it's a record, the game is afterall over 5 years old...

*runs out to find the oldest thread he can to give it a bump and earn a place in "Istara's Book of World Records"*

Oops - did not mean to get into "Nyrevin's Book of Records"
    Last edited by Valornyx; February 27th, 2009 at 01:38 AM.

Thread Information