Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The War of the Fallen Son

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Default Re: The War of the Fallen Son

Tagath had just finished his errand at Last Stand. He took to the air, smug that Fandarel's silo for marble had once again been replenished. His keen multifaceted eyes scanned the horizon as he spiraled up into the sky. As he thought to lazily fly to Dalimond for a chat with Councilman Vandus, he heard a scream in his head, from one vaguely familiar.

"Semeneth?" Why would Semeneth scream and how could I hear it here? he thought. Perhaps he should go check. Using his weight, he dropped quickly to the portal system to get to Chiconis. Upon reaching the destination pad, he saw why the old drake would scream.

Fitting his crush claw on, Tagath jumped off the pad towards the nearest caster going for the bridge. I may not make it in time with speed, but this will! With a calculated risk, he let fly with his Improved Prime Bolt V, repeating the spell as quickly as his dragon claws and wings would allow him. With any luck he could break the concentration of any mage, if not the body itself. Inwardly, he grinned as pits began to form on the nearest wizard golem as the spells continued to wear away the stone itself guarding whatever was inside trying to cast.

Inwardly, Tagath focused his mental eye, causing him to skip a spell, but perhaps giving Chiconis a better defense. As his mind sought the minds of all he had ever greeted, he let out a mental plea for help to biped and dragon alike. Chiconis under attack by mage golems! Help us here before Chiconis falls!
    Last edited by C`gan; November 28th, 2010 at 10:20 PM.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

The blue-haired ranger hears Tagath's cry and, knowing the blue to be a courageous fighter, rushes to help. Upon arriving in Chiconis, she looks about to see what the situation is. As a pair of golems moves nearby, she casts the mage's maddening trick on one of them and proceeds to skewer the second with her stunning arrows. As the first golem falls under the rain of her fire, the second becomes her target - the lowly pair did not stand a chance.

Hearing more than seeing the desperate situation deeper into the city, she too sounds the alarm through the empire's communication system, beginning with her guild. Come help in Chiconis! It is under attack!

She notes the black goo on the dead golems but does not touch it. Odd, is the Blight black as well as green now? This cannot bode well. Carefully she moves forward, scouting her next target...
    Last edited by awdz; November 29th, 2010 at 12:14 AM.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Tagath saw an opening to get to the mage golems. Following an old guildmate's example, he lept high, glided over top, and folded his wings, dropping out of the air in the midst of them, crushing one mage while his claw skittered ineffectively against the stone armor. As the wizards began to recover from the sudden loss of one of their numbers and an interrupting weight of dragon falling on top of them, Tagath began using his new spells for Tempest, Barrage, Gust, and Galewind, keeping the lot of them momentarily off guard while he changed from his crush claw to the Demon Claw. Now he could be more effective.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Favoring the hillsides, the gnome ranger clambers up the mountain that overlooks the city. Circling toward the floating island portion because that is where she hears the loudest shouts, she sees Tagath attacking mage golems. Perched in the perfect spot to rain missiles down upon the enemy, she begins showering them with stunning arrow after stunning arrow.

(Two characters now, starting with my addition to Chiconis...)

I'm always out of regents. Always. Its irritating how I just never can find that thing I needed because I just used the last one five minutes ago in an experiment... A downside of living in a remote corner of the world I suppose.

At least it is today that we resupply; the servants go to the towns to collect necessities on a stipend provided to them. While they tend to our needs, I collect an order of from the Tazoon mage's tower to refresh my supply of regents I may never find some days.

It would not be long before reaching Tazoon now. She could have just taken the portal, but Selarth was always teasing her about needing air so she wouldn't turn into a book. In turn, she would remind him that she would at least be aged and musty with a few missing pages in time, but at least she wouldn't be a carrot or an eggplant. He usually didn't enjoy the response.

The desert sand line came under her and immediately she was hit with beautiful thermals from the midday sun having heated the ground. The invisible entity taken by the wind to where she intended to go. Until she saw the army.

Now what might this be? She swooped down to land on a rock and examine them, the air around her shimmering in the sun. Always how fascinating it was that she could be looking someone in the eyes, yet they were utterly unaware of it. They were interesting, despite looking otherworldly. Otherworldly things often irked her... they were cause for much oddity in the world.

She decided for now, that it was more important to watch them. She slipped behind a rock quietly, partially digging herself into the heated sand to hide. She cast a spell to send a small spirit messenger to the mages of Tazoon, telling them that she will be delaying the pick-up of the order placed. When the mages later heard of the beasts passing by, they understood why.

From there to Chiconis, the invisible force trailed them with the silence of an owl. When they arrived, it perched on the lair and watched.

It watched the first wave, entertained by the fight. It was evident the living were losing however, after a time.

Well, can't let them win... I buy things here too. Important things. The Helian are incapable of defending their own walls, and thus it is that the Archon of Dasha Khan will aid them. Merely diplomatic reasons... yes.

The second wave appeared, and began heading the the bridge of the structure she was standing on. It was here Azu calmly dropped her cloak, sitting lazily on the roof of the structure. She called out to the general and his forces moving toward her.

"I wouldn't go closer. You wouldn't like me or things I tend to do." She looked at semeneth passing by. "Semeneth, Dasha Khan lends aid to you now, but you will have to ask me about my battle tactics after, as they may seem... insane. Focus on your fighting." she purred into a spell that whispered it into his ear.

She turned to the forces heading to the bridge, who were much closer. "Oh, now now, you really want this don't you?" she purred toward them, half grinning and splaying over it, eventually rolling off it to take flight. "Oh too bad for you... I think I'll misplace it." she laughed as a point of distortion opened up in the core of the floating lair. Indignantly grunting (as she had never opened a portal this big before, and the energies involved were truly taxing!) as her claws danced through the air, the point grew open, swallowing the entire fortress of rock into it until it was consumed. Through the shimmering wormhole it went, before in a mere moment the hole collapsed. The floating rock was gone. ((She moved it into the blizzard valley. Chilly, but I would think any edari that had been caught with it would find their tar frozen solid and accosted by bipedal soldiers once incapable.))

This clearly annoyed the edari halfway up the bridge, as they now stood at the end of a bridge that led to nowhere. To Azu, this was like playing with some overgrown mice.

The forces on the bridge found themselves in a sphere of energy.

"You see, if you now move at all and contact this barrier, it will collapse on you into a small localized singularity. You will also notice you are on a bridge, and said bridge without the object it was attached to is not faring well. In fact, as you may see it is failing."

The edari inside in addition, were packed together tightly. There was not enough room to move. While most tried to be still, hoping the spell would end, some couldn't settle when they saw the red playing with them.

She was now throwing frostfire bolts at the group. "What a dilemma for you all... frostfire, bridge, or flee. I think its all better for me to see you turned into a dense little ball that no entity could ever lift off the ground again."

The bridge crumbled, the unsettled few panicked and the small black hole opened, swallowed the lot, and closed shut again, dropping the dense sphere onto one of the edari below (And shattering it under its surprising weight).

The fire elemental was finding the tar substance to only act like petrol. It fueled the flames and soon the raging heat was igniting several in a radius around it. Despite its intense gain in power, the earthen elemental had been hacked and chipped away slowly. It was weakening.

One of the second wave struck it and knocked it into the ground where it was still for some time.

"It needs help... Would you be so kind as to aid your brethren?" Azaraen spoke to the light elemental. She didn't need to tell the dark what to do, it is as if her words penetrated the material fabric and echoed through the ethereal.

The dark fog rematerialized, and it became evident that many of those caught in the night had become confused and started killing each other (which then would explain why many remains of the first wave were flat out destroyed on the ground). The darkness elemental wrapped its tendrils around the sphere that sat over the earthen elemental.

The cold, darkness crept over it... and plate by plate, the spirit tore it to pieces. The dark spirit locked the riding edari, fighting and swinging at it furiously (and much to its horror, unable to do any damage), to render it stuck in its own mount, unable to escape. Looking into any semblance of a face, darkness flung it into the molten fire and slag. A scream joined others in the center of the inferno, while the fire demanded more things to consume (And upon seeing the second wave, went right to work rather eagerly).

Amongst the chaos the darkness had caused, the light had come to assist the earth. The weakened elemental found itself restored in the embrace of light's tendrils, rising to begin smashing and tossing all over again.

When the light had finished its task, it rose over the field. As if invisible tendrils had reached out and touched the souls of all defenders on an ethereal level, everyone is filled with new vigor and strength to continue. It goes back to protecting its lady, exhausted for now.

"You all are doing well... be careful... I don't think it is over yet. If you all see one of their generals, have the darkness capture it..."

"Mahz jirr eil mohn..."

Eidolen's words were drowned out by the sound of Orribus clashing with another grunt. They held their position, if only because the runecaster had no desire to have to re-make his runic circle in another location. After all, it was only good if he was within thirty yards of it. His chanting was, of course, in his native tongue... and though it was not runic, he was channeling a sort of augmentation to his other spells. After all, he'd dabbled in many arts... runic was merely his primary focus.

"Taoll ma'ch arh`men, ithemil oddur."

Really, he had quite a bit to deal with. He had to retrace guide each pulse of magic through the runes, managing the power levels and the paths it took. And he had to manage carefully the pitch and cadence of his chanting. This is to say nothing of the fact that each new bit of magic was a piece of his spirit torn away for fuel. It would regenerate, of course, but this was a very taxing way to do cast spells. Very strong... but very taxing.

"Eggh jahan`na mah p'hyth argull emanu-"

He ducked as a rock flew over his head, momentarily stopping his chant. He located the grunt who had thrown it, and severed it's life force. It collapsed to the ground, as lifeless as each of it's brethren before it. Orribus turned out to be an extremely effective guard. Not much got past him, and what did was cut down by Eidolen's magic. The magma golem could keep going all day, all night... it would fight until it's skeleton was crushed and it's own life-giving magic was rendered useless. Orribus' molten skin burned the goo that held it's adversaries together, and it's mithril claws tore at their stone bodies. Their strikes ripped molten rock from it's form, and hairline fractures the formed on the metal skeleton in a few places. It would surely be overwhelmed eventually...but for now it seemed to be holding out alright.

"Eyhamm oerlu raghhna arak lem! Japhel elthus grezjdalem~ Oh'er c`haur."

Eidolen, on the other hand, was not fairing so well. Sure, he'd suffered barely a scratch physically. Each strike brought the death of another golem. Runecasting was, after all, a powerful art. But it was tiresome and slow, and he knew that he couldn't continue much longer. His fatigue was visible in the way his voice began sound, and the way he held his body. He was still near the first wave, and and had not yet encountered the shields and swords. Which was good... an enemy that worked together that well was the last thing he needed

((quick OOC question for ya - if I go after the Edari Khutit (Gen-First Wave) did you want to post that fight blow by blow or are you cool with me controlling the NPC, giving a good fight, and then it being defeated - I didn't want to run with the NPC without permission and possibly take something out myself that you'd rather RP out?))

((yea having done these types of things for years - I find its better to check before taking things over lol )
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Default The War of the Fallen Son

(@Frith: The Edari golems are NPCs. They are semi-sentient and are not directly connected to Maurger, and are therefore autonomous. You can do whatever you want to them – win, lose, get infested – so long as it is in the spirit of a war scenario (no dancing with the golems! They hate dancing). The army is supposed to lose, so don’t worry too much about godmodding – that’s why they’re NPCs and not players ;p

Please, go right ahead and take control of the general for an epic battle. Just note that he's currently riding the second general ;p

There *may* be a blow-for-blow battle during Wave 3, since there's one specific target that needs to be dealt with a bit differently; if so, I'll note it in the enemy description. But in general, go right ahead and tell us what both you and your enemy are doing, suffering, and winning/losing.)
    Maekrux Vythulhar, the Blue Phoenix
    "Resurgam!"

((Editing me previous post, as i figured eido wouldn't be completely unscathed as previously stated. >.>.

Also, how does infestation work? I saw where it makes you lose control of your body, but what then? Does it slump over in paralysis, or turn and fight against the defenders? And if it does is it autonomous or acting as a puppet of the one who infested it? . Oh, and one more thing. IF it turns the body to fight, would it have just control of it's functions, or it's mind (and knowledge) as well? I.E. if a spiritist became infested, assuming infestation turns the individual to fight for the edari, would he be able to use his spirit magic, or would he be reduced to more primitive methods of attack?

This last question of course being null if i am wrong about the infestation being like that. :P
    just trying to clear up how it works, don't have any specific ideas in mind for it... ^^))

(((Oh... I can't edit that post? what? *sigh* Oh. well...uhhm. *writes in there someplace that he was hit by a dark prime bolt and has some minor injury from it*? >.>
    wee, also missed runos' thing about the light elemental rejuvinating peoples. blargh. thats what i get for doing forum posts at 5 am XD))
    Last edited by Essra; November 29th, 2010 at 09:46 PM.

(@Essera: Infestation means that your character loses control of their body and generally will then turn to fight for the enemy side.

Infestation itself is where the black ooze enters into the body and then takes over the base of the brain stem, where it controls and mimics nerve signals, thereby controlling the body.

Now, because it cannot directly interpret thought, it does not have immediate access to your memory, and therefore cannot know that your fifth birth was the worst in your life. There are ways that it can glean that information, but that requires time, which won't matter for this battle.

If it takes over your character's body, it will still have access to muscle memory - that is, it will know how the body has acted recently and what it has been trained to do. If it took over a warrior, it could wield the warrior's sword just as well. If it took over a mage, it could form and summon spells like the mage has trained. Since most spells or aggressive actions require some somatic (body movement) component, it would have access to most of those spells, but perhaps not all, and perhaps not as powerful in the short term of this battle.

Oh, and if your character does get infested, don't worry - it will only last as long as this battle. Moreover, it is possible to burn out the infestation using fire or powerful primal healing energies.

Hope this helps~

PS: Why is everyone picking on Chiconis' Edari Wizards?! lol)
    "Resurgam!"

((I think I'll put a character in chic. Though the prospect of having a geomancer in the middle of a volcano city fighting enemies who are horribly weak to fire is tempting, I've already got two chars there. xD.)

Asua was hiding fearfully beneath chiconis, enveloped in the earth's dark embrace. Not even an army could reach her there. She knew there was fighting, she could feel the vibrations traveling through the ground. The hatching felt safe underground, though. Surely the earth would protect her.

That is, until the soil itself began to suck the energy right out of her. She knew the earth would not betray her like this... no, she could feel the source of the corruption. And if there was one way to bait a geomancer to combat, it was to corrupt the very ground she was hiding in. She gave a furious growl, and the earth rumbled with her anger.

The hatchling was not, technically, a golem, despite her metallic flesh. It was a change that had slowly been taking hold of her since birth. By now, from scale to bone, every inch of her body was an odd compound of flesh and metal, fused into a material that could really be described as neither one... or both. It wasn't as tough as natural metal, but it was a far sight tougher than a hatchling's regular scales! And Asua, despite her outward timid appearances, was a fearsome warrior when she wanted to be. Nobody will ever call her a tactical genius, and her mind seems to be stuck in the infant stage... and though she is making progress in that regard, it is excruciatingly slow.

While she doesn't seem to be progressing intellectually, she at least has been growing stronger at an alarming rate. Her flesh hardened with each passing week, and her strength was unnatural for a hatchling. But then, she had to be strong, to move a body that was nearly three times heavier than the norm. And on top of all this, she could convert the earth itself into a formidable weapon. But she was still a daft hatchling with little capacity for rational thought.

And only one thought crossed her mind now, as the wizards seeped her energy away, using her very own ground against her. Kill. She exploded out of the ground in the middle of the circle of wizards, showering them with bits of rock and dirt. Asua gave a furious howl, then leapt at the nearest wizard. A terrible crash rang throughout the city like the beat of a gong, as her metallic paw crushed the stone head of the unfortunate golem to a dusty rubble.

Of course, the rest of the cabal was upon her at once, hurling spells at her mercilessly. She was caught dead in the chest by a prime bolt, and the explosion toppled her head-over-tail with a sharp yelp. Wincing and staggering to her feet, as the other bolts landed where she had just been, she finds her feet tangled in oily vines. She gritted her teeth and ignored the blood leaking down her chest. It was a more minor wound than one would expect, but then she -was- made of metal, after all. It was still a rather nasty wound. The aging had barely any noticeable affect, since metal stood the test of time far better than flesh did.

Asua roared as fiercely as she could, though in all honesty it probably would have sounded a little amusing to any adult who happened to hear it. Her voice just wasn't deep enough to carry much threat. But the earth answered her call nonetheless. It was as if the ground had been hit with a giant hammer right where the hatchling was standing, sending a shockwave of dirt and dust flying out in all directions as the ground bucked and rolled beneath their feet. Asua herself stumbled, but the bipedal cabal was knocked clean off it's feet down to the last man. A vicious earthen spike exploded through the chest of a second Edari before it could rise again.

(Stuck a little bit of background in there since not everyone on the forum may be familiar with Su and what she is... XP)
    Last edited by Essra; November 29th, 2010 at 10:36 PM.

((Ah! Okay, thanks ^^)

Murial had just finished a successful hunt on the Island of Corvus. She had just filled her Travertine tarbash cargo disk with blighted shining essence, and was preparing to return to her home in Last Stand to work on Blight resist potions. With a full cargo disk, she cannot recall to her home, so she uses a Chiconis Travel scroll.

As she is transporting to Chiconis, she hears the sound of battle nearby. As her eyes adjust to the scene around her, she notices her friend Tagath engaged in battle with a mage ogre. Tagath appears to be stunned, and his health is starting to drop. Murial quickly detaches her cargo disk and rushes to his side. She casts her instant heal on the dragon, followed by a detox other. As Tagath begins fighting once more, Murial draws her bow, and begins sending a flurry of lightning arrows on the nearest mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Essra View Post
    ((I think I'll put a character in chic. Though the prospect of having a geomancer in the middle of a volcano city fighting enemies who are horribly weak to fire is tempting, I've already got two chars there. xD.)
    ((The fire elemental also is there already melting anything that gets into its range as it feeds off the tar... it likely views any additional waves as all you can eat buffet courses.))

Delaware, USA that little state no one knows about XP

((Would blight affect the dark primal goo? As an energy that breaks things down and deteriorates I think it'd try to break down the goo too.))
    Anariah, Callihan, Selarth, Osiron, Asandra, Azayan, and Zefani of the Order Shard
    Want a pic of your character? Click here!

(@BrightCat: Corrupting corruption?! MADNESS~

Really, it would have the same effect as on normal Prime. Dark Prime corrupts Prime (which is what most of Istaria is made of) because it is an alternate and incompatible form of Prime; it has similar effects as Blight because of this contradiction or 'wrongness' to anything that is Primal.

Blight corrupts everything that isn't Blight, so... yes, it'll work.

@RuneDragon: Bah! I'll have to bring in some Edari made of water ;p

It still might take some time to burn through the thicker Edari (like an orphaned Shield Golem or the Boulder-General). The poor wizards are toast though. >.>;

@All: Weeee thanks for posting~ Feel free to keep 'em coming~)
    "Resurgam!"

Selarth fought viciously tearing through the ranks of Edari golems. He ripped apart the golems with a savage ferocity like an enraged beast, but if you were to watch him it was clear he was a very skilled an efficient warrior. He struck the golems where their armor was weakest every blow directed at the weakest points he could find.

Selarth refrained from overusing his blight abilities; he only had a limited amount and it seemed this battle would wage on for quite some time, he had to conserve. The blight dragon roared as a grunt smashed into his flank. He could feel a rib or two crack from the impact but that didn’t stop him from whirling on his hapless victim and tearing it apart. The battle was starting to take its toll on him. Despite the constant healing breeze he had whirling around him blood dripped from various wounds across his body and he was beginning to tire.

Selarth gave an irritated growl as he saw a second wave of Edari begin pushing into Dralk adding to the numbers of the first wave. What are these things and where are they coming from?! While Selarth was distracted with the onslaught of the second wave, an Edari advanced towards the blight dragon from behind. The grunt lashed out with its stony hand grabbing at Selarth’s hind leg. The dragon whirled around and began tearing at the grunt, but he couldn’t get it off before some of the ooze slithered up the grunt’s arm and into a wound on Selarth’s leg.

Selarth tossed the remains of the golem into the other advancing Edari bowling them over. He was about to charge a group of them when he felt the dark primal energy move up his hind leg and begin to spread. His body began to feel sluggish and unresponsive as the dark primal worked its way up his spine. Selarth gritted his teeth and released a blast of blight energy. The blight energy immediately began attacking the dark primal energy working to break it down.

Selarth barely could move enough to evade an attack from one of the new Edari, some strange bipedal sword-wielding thing. Its second attack was successful slashing Selarth across his shoulder causing the skin and scale around the wound to age. Selarth sharply inhaled and expelled a blast of fire from his jaws hoping to incinerate the goo, but the sword’s partner rolled into the path of the flames: the shield. The sword leapt from behind its partner and struck out again. Selarth dodged to the side evading and tried to tail whip the Edari as a counter attack. The Edari sword leapt back next to the shield. Come on body! Work! Selarth released another pulse of blight energy finishing off what was left of the dark ooze that had infested him.

The blight dragon unfurled his wings and launched himself into the air. He needed to heal or else he’d end up bleeding out from all of his wounds. Selarth lurched through the air flying haphazardly. He finally managed to make it to a cliff above Dralk and above the battle. From what he could see they were definitely outnumbered but they seemed to be holding up a lot better than he expected.

Selarth began healing the worst of his wounds trying to staunch the blood flow. Though he was a very experienced and strong fighter, Selarth was not invincible. However, he wasn’t one to just walk away from a fight as grand as this one. He looked down at the wound across his shoulder which was slowly closing his tail flicking impatiently. He still had plenty of fight left in him. It was going to take more than that to stop him.

As he was healing, Selarth watched the battle. It seemed that the golems had picked a new target: the crystal citadel. Since there was only one way in to the citadel they would be bottlenecked at the entrance to Dralk. He wondered if the other defenders were smart enough to take advantage of that.
    Anariah, Callihan, Selarth, Osiron, Asandra, Azayan, and Zefani of the Order Shard

((Totally forgot about that energy draining thingy lol. Oh well, I'll write something about it later.))

Thread Information