Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bit of an idea

Default Bit of an idea

Hey guys, I have an idea for a guild/program for either the Order or the other shards. I don't know if this idea would work, due to the population of the game, the lore, etc..

The idea is this; a guild called the Hatchery (or it could just be a community-run program) would be created. The objective of this guild/program would to take a bi-ped (new/low-level) and pair them with a hatchling. The program would strongly encourage the bi-ped and the hatchling to work together, in questing, grinding, crafting, and all other aspects of the game. In an RP-sense, life partners. (To clarify, not Life-partners in a married or couple/relation ship sense, but in very, very, very brotherly/sisterly bond type thing.)

Could this fit into Istarian Lore? Possibly as a joint operation/project between the Helian (or 'rogue' lunus) faction members and the Empire. To better combat the W.A./Blight. Would something similar to that work? I admit I have limited knowledge of the game lore as of yet.

Anyways. People would sign up or join the guild (named either The Hatchery, the Order of the Hatchery, or Dragon Knights/Dragon and Knight, something similar).

Part of my reason for this idea is the difficulty that lower-level characters have (especially dragon hatchlings) in their lower-to-mid levels. This would provide a partner (you would be matched with someone who has similar available times to play and time zones and such, so you'd be on together as much as possible). It is also because the idea of dragon and bi-ped working closely together (often from the dragons birth) is a common theme in books, and is a favorite of mine (Examples being LungTiens last name... I forgot how to spell it e_e, and a few others which I forget right now ... I suck at remembering the titles of books anyways...).

Also, I think it would make for interesting RP and for some fun game play.

Anyways, do you guys think something similar to this would be an interesting thing to do? It doesn't have to be a guild, either, it could be a community-run program based on the forums, so it wouldn't be limited to people in certain guilds, but open to everyone in the server/game, no matter their guild.

Do you think the Istarian community would accept/embrace this? And do you think the Istarian population is high enough to support this idea?

Please discuss.

Default Re: Bit of an idea

The older populous of Order would not like this in the slightest, that is those that were raised in dragon families. It is already taboo to have dragon riders/partners let alone biped friends. This may have been changed over the last few months I'm not sure, but Istarian lore has always been "The dragons" and "The lesser races" and that is what Order has been.

It's true that some roleplay that attitude, but I could see hunting & crafting partnerships working out well. Some players do this already with alts, using one as a mule while the other digs/gathers. I see hunting as an area where both parties would benefit more from the pairing up of skills; grouping is always more fun there, I think. I would expect Helian dragons to be more open to this kind of thing - maybe it's a Helian outreach program?

Anyway, good luck if you try it!

Nothing saying that this can't be done, but if you're asking about if it fits with lore, then it really doesn't.

The Helians may be more tolerant of bipeds, but they're still very much "above" them in their opinion. And Lunus, well.. they likely wouldn't like this at all. Even Lunus dragons might have biped friends, but trying to instill that "dragon rider" atmosphere in either party probably wouldn't turn out well.

As for population, I can only speak about Order, and that number has been frighteningly low at times lately. I'm not sure if you'd get enough people in on this to really pull it off, not only because of low numbers, but because the whole dragon + rider thing is somewhat taboo in RP, due to the previously explained attitudes of many dragons.

Nothing stopping you from trying though. :3

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    Nothing saying that this can't be done, but if you're asking about if it fits with lore, then it really doesn't.

The Helians may be more tolerant of bipeds, but they're still very much "above" them in their opinion. And Lunus, well.. they likely wouldn't like this at all. Even Lunus dragons might have biped friends, but trying to instill that "dragon rider" atmosphere in either party probably wouldn't turn out well.

As for population, I can only speak about Order, and that number has been frighteningly low at times lately. I'm not sure if you'd get enough people in on this to really pull it off, not only because of low numbers, but because the whole dragon + rider thing is somewhat taboo in RP, due to the previously explained attitudes of many dragons.

Nothing stopping you from trying though. :3

So it might be better received in one of the other shards.

Also, to clear things up, this is nothing like "Dragon and Rider", except for the fact that the dragon and bi-ped would have a close bond.

This is a companion thing, and not "pet" companion, either. Companion as in completely equal.

I can understand how it would still not be accepted by the (older part) of the Order community (at least in an RP sense), but I don't want it to be mistaken for a "Dragon and Rider" sort of thing. That gives the idea that the bi-ped would be over, or have command over, the dragon, which is, if anything, the complete opposite.

Like I said, it's partly to encourage players to group together, partly to help friendships and bonds grow, partly to help hatchlings (and bi-peds) that usually have a hard time at the lower levels get through it, and to have a strong bond with another person who can help you out when you need it (like the bi-ped, who gets more hoard loot, can give it to their dragon friend, and the dragon and help the bi-ped out with combat, among other things).

The program, if I ever decide to try it out, would try to pair up people with similar times that they play, and that are opposite of each other in terms of play style... So, if a dragon wants to be a spell caster, it would get paired with a melee/tank bi-ped. If a dragon wants to be melee, it would be paired with a long-ranged/spellcaster bi-ped.

Anyways, I'm going to put this one away in the idea folder for now, and I may actually do it someday, once I've played longer and have more experience, higher level, more money, etc... that would be needed to create and sustain this idea. But, that time may never come, or maybe someone else will want to try it :S

But, please feel free to continue discussing the idea (I'll continue to put input in as well), so that if I ever do get around to doing it, I'll have an idea on how to best do it.

Thank you to everyone that has put input in so far!

/tongue held firmly in cheek

The last thing a right minded biped (ie a Fiend) would want is to be paired with a hatchling.
    Just think of all those hatchlings you've seen over the years.. pouncing, nibbling, dribbling, nomming, screaming "Shiny!!" when they see a rusty dagger, and generally behaving like a week old Saris with a ball of string. Pathetic and useless.

Like a wise old Fiend told me one day, "A dragon hatchling is a truly remarkable and priceless treasure. If you find one, take it to a distant island and bury it."

They need time to develop their real dragon-ness and since it doesn't always seem to come naturally, they should be kept amongst their own kind, and receive instruction from a harsh, strict, but fair elder Dragon that is well respected amongst it's peers.

Usually once they've reached adulthood they start to behave more like dragons should. With a snooty air of self importance and approaching a level of semi-usefulness in combat, this is the time they should be released to the world to assist the biped races in the struggle against the Withered Aegis. To boldly lead the charge with little regard for it's own safety, knowing that it leaves the hope of a safer future for all races in it's lumbering wake.

Like others have mentioned, I don't think we're quite ready for saddles just yet, enticing as it may seem at first. Do you really think you could trust that slimy, scaly wriggling wyrm to take you airborne and back to land safely? Really?

Basically I like the idea.
    More: I love and support this idea.

I think, when the worlds were young, we all all grew up that way.
    Not exactly the way you suggest it Ee- but similar.
    (RP was no problem-and we did a lot of rp- we simply did not follow lore literally)
    That might have been the foundation stone of our unique community.
    At least it was on Earth/Unity.

So how about today?
    Its still possible I think.
    Just look around and choose/find you fellows.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Or somewhere else...

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    The older populous of Order would not like this in the slightest, that is those that were raised in dragon families. It is already taboo to have dragon riders/partners let alone biped friends. This may have been changed over the last few months I'm not sure, but Istarian lore has always been "The dragons" and "The lesser races" and that is what Order has been.
    Shian wise one. My words are but the whisper of a forgotten wind. Let them be lost or found as suits the seeker.

Thy words are thine, and I count no right to set them ill. But this I will say. Let any, be it two leg, winged one, be it Clan or be it Blight, be it those called gods themselves seek to set them between Thunder and Lightning, and they will find the Storm indeed.

Be. It. Any.

My words are but the whisper of a forgotten wind. Let them be lost or found as suits the seeker.

Sephiranoth, called by some ShadowSeeker
    Nobody and Nothing ever, save The Five do Feast
    A Fool that walks among the Wise

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

as always, my most beloved fool, well stated and spoken!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Guild and group and RP wise if you can find a group of committed people I say have at it. It would certainly be fun a fun concept for those who sign on I think! There are many different types of players and guilds and its YOUR group you can try and work it out however you guys have fun doing so!

However, on the more "realistic" side of things (nothing to do with RP or lore just RL mechanics) to me its very hard to make gameplay dependent on other people. If you are pairing people up the idea seems to be that they play together mostly, if not constantly. Its very dangerous to pin your play in a game ont he play of another.

People quit. Schedules change. Personalities clash even if at first they are friendly and seem compatiable. Matching up a biped and a hatchling at level 10 and the idea being to quest till 100 together, helping each out, on a set schedule so you're both playing together - is going to be difficult at BEST if they aren't already paired in some way in RL (friends, couples, family, etc.). Trying to do it for 3, 4, 5, 10 pairs of people...oy my head spins.

Its the reason Frith will never have hatchlings. The reason I stopped having Dragonmates in game after the 2nd one quit playing (just like the first..).

Having your game, or your characters RP, dependent on another person is very iffy. When I see "parents" and "children" in game where they aren't in any RL committed relationship usually ends up in depressing RP - because someone disappears.

I've seen dragon "parents" go through new hatchlings every other week. People who game for months, and then suddenly disappear or have to quit or schedule changes - and bam - everyone's RP is scattered to the 4 winds and now those who want to be "realistic" have to Rp being sad, depressed, missing them. Mates changing every few months because former mates stopped logging in.

If you can pull it off consistently - more power to you.

But across games, if your character's life, and your gameplay, is closely linked with someone else's (who was formerly mostly a stranger) - you're setting yourself up for problems and possibly bitter/negative feelings towards the game itself when things break up - and then more people quit and then it just spreads. Not just here, but in all games.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Or somewhere else...

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    Guild and group and RP wise if you can find a group of committed people I say have at it. It would certainly be fun a fun concept for those who sign on I think! There are many different types of players and guilds and its YOUR group you can try and work it out however you guys have fun doing so!

However, on the more "realistic" side of things (nothing to do with RP or lore just RL mechanics) to me its very hard to make gameplay dependent on other people. If you are pairing people up the idea seems to be that they play together mostly, if not constantly. Its very dangerous to pin your play in a game ont he play of another.

People quit. Schedules change. Personalities clash even if at first they are friendly and seem compatiable. Matching up a biped and a hatchling at level 10 and the idea being to quest till 100 together, helping each out, on a set schedule so you're both playing together - is going to be difficult at BEST if they aren't already paired in some way in RL (friends, couples, family, etc.). Trying to do it for 3, 4, 5, 10 pairs of people...oy my head spins.

Its the reason Frith will never have hatchlings. The reason I stopped having Dragonmates in game after the 2nd one quit playing (just like the first..).

Having your game, or your characters RP, dependent on another person is very iffy. When I see "parents" and "children" in game where they aren't in any RL committed relationship usually ends up in depressing RP - because someone disappears.

I've seen dragon "parents" go through new hatchlings every other week. People who game for months, and then suddenly disappear or have to quit or schedule changes - and bam - everyone's RP is scattered to the 4 winds and now those who want to be "realistic" have to Rp being sad, depressed, missing them. Mates changing every few months because former mates stopped logging in.

If you can pull it off consistently - more power to you.

But across games, if your character's life, and your gameplay, is closely linked with someone else's (who was formerly mostly a stranger) - you're setting yourself up for problems and possibly bitter/negative feelings towards the game itself when things break up - and then more people quit and then it just spreads. Not just here, but in all games.

Frith-Rae wise one...

Thy words ring true, aye and louder than true. Save great fortune, it be a path of wild winds and twisted, and few ends that do nbot bring tears.

Save for great fortune <G>.

Thunder to the Lightning
    Fool to the Fair
    And... most fortunate. <BG>

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Being part of a dragonrider pair (yes, one word), I think it'd be fun. Have the weyrlings learn to work as a team together, biped and dragon. It may help relations across Istaria if the dragons could better understand the bipeds and if the bipeds didn't see the dragons as big, hulking, ugly, smelly, scalies with little to no sense between the earfins.

I know Tagath and I have heard these debates on and off over the years and we'll both admit, we're rather an anomaly amongst the Living Races.

For those who say it doesn't work, I give you an example of how it has.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

(Istarian dragons and bipeds relationship is more Warcraft-like than Pern-like, I think. The old background about dragons says whose who have a real love for bipeds tend to be outside of the dragon society. Then, about dragons ridden by bipeds...
    Though, the Age of Fire series have bipeds riding dragons, but the bipeds are slaves and enchained. I doubt istarian bipeds would like this idea.)

Quote Originally Posted by peladon View Post
    Shian wise one. My words are but the whisper of a forgotten wind. Let them be lost or found as suits the seeker.

Thy words are thine, and I count no right to set them ill. But this I will say. Let any, be it two leg, winged one, be it Clan or be it Blight, be it those called gods themselves seek to set them between Thunder and Lightning, and they will find the Storm indeed.

Be. It. Any.

My words are but the whisper of a forgotten wind. Let them be lost or found as suits the seeker.

Nobody and Nothing ever, save The Five do Feast
    A Fool that walks among the Wise
    As always, Very well stated Sephiranoth.

I find myself in total agreement. Any who dare attempt breaking
    the bond between the Thunder and Lightning had best come
    prepared. Should Dragon bellow of SLAAAAAYY be heard,
    and a Female biped bellow RIIIIIDE!!! - Pray you not be the target.

For those that have never seen a Slay Ride, it is an awesome site
    to behold. Mighty be that pairing, and many the Aegis foe has
    fallen at those words. *bows of profound respect to both*

I know a bond such as this, and live it each day. The Bond of
    Mind to Mind, Soul to Soul, Purpose to Purpose, Might and Skill,
    and deep affection. Should it ever be allowed that I could ride
    a Dragon, there would be only one ever.

Only One Ever - Icabald.

TO borrow and paraphrase Sephi:
    Let my words be an echo of warning on a forgotten wind.

Andaras

Mind to Mind, Soul to Soul, Purpose to Purpose, Might and Skill,
    and deep affection
    Basically, you are married?
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

*a blush, arising from an upwelling of fond emotions swelling in Icabald's heart as he hears the wind whisper in his ears, suffuses the great Dragon's face. He roars the Truth of this boding of Thunder and Lightening -- of the awesome beauty of the Blast that is born from the transcendant union of 2 disparate souls that move as one within this and all possible realms -- into the rushing Wind, praying that it will NEVER be forgotten.*

NO. We are not "Married" but we are as close to one as C'gan and Tagath. Seven Eves of the God Child's Birth ago, I awoke with my clutchmate Allurna Bete Noir in this peculiar world of the Gifted. We were cast here by the Guardian of the Grail -- I as a reward and she as a punishment -- for our deeds in the lands of Camulot. I knew neither how to live as an Istarian Dragon nor how to view another beings as lesser than I, but I did know of honor, devotion, and loyalty. These are virtues that transcend time, space, and species. They are what I brought to this world.

I was most joyously found by a wise Saris -- Andarrras *trills the rrrrrs in fond homage to his friend* soon after my hatching. He taught me the ways of the Gifted; fed me rich trinkets and treasures crafted from precious metals and gems; guided me as I sought to learn the ways of the Istarian Dragonkin. He even labored with me when I *shudder* slaved over my lair. Tho I am a High Priest of Drulkar and of the Sleeper, I will ever stand at his side -- with the Sleeper's Blessing. (I would with or without Her Blessing, but She understands and honors those who nurture and protect for She is the Preserver of Istaria’s Dragons.) Andarras has been at my side thru all of my joys and sorrows, triumphs and defeats. My Mate, Aether the Glorious -- Queen of the Winds --, came and then departed, but Andarrras has ever remained constant and true.

We both are now the Guild Leaders of a once mighty guild called the Elder Spirits that counted over 150 members. But times grew harsh, the worlds were destroyed and then reborn, friends turned foe, brave hearts grew weary and left, and so the guild dwindled to but a small handful. Yet Andarras remained. Together we now hold the hopes of our small gathering in our grasp and will ever do so till the world meets its final ending. If he is here, I am here. Though we are two, we are one.

Can such a bonding happen here? Yes. It has and it will – IF those involved choose for it to be so.

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    Basically, you are married?
    Reading Comprehension FAIL -- Assumption WIN.

Wherever did you read "Body to Body" in my post?
    Honestly, since when did the word BOND become strictly usable
    only for Mating?

Maybe this is what the OP meant about the "Strict" RPers these days.
    They cannot comprehend that words can have more than one meaning
    or use, and rise above Baser Instincts?

A thought for the "Strict RP" folk: The Empire is BONDED together in
    a common cause to battle an implacable foe. Through these BONDS
    of Brotherhood we shall overcome our enemies. Our shared Victories
    and our Losses will strengthen those BONDS.

I shall know NO regrets save one -- That the BOND of friendship, loyalty,
    Trust, and purpose I have shared in was not a common thing amongst the
    Gifted of Istaria.

*shrugs* oh well, their loss.
    Andaras

That's certainly a very interesting idea. Some people might be ICly against their future generations working alongside bipeds, since dragons tend to train dragons on the proper behavior. However I could easily see this being done, and might aid both parties (biped and hatchling alike) in gaining skills and helping one another out.

I'd say go for it on advertising the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan View Post
    Being part of a dragonrider pair (yes, one word), I think it'd be fun. Have the weyrlings learn to work as a team together, biped and dragon. It may help relations across Istaria if the dragons could better understand the bipeds and if the bipeds didn't see the dragons as big, hulking, ugly, smelly, scalies with little to no sense between the earfins.

I know Tagath and I have heard these debates on and off over the years and we'll both admit, we're rather an anomaly amongst the Living Races.

For those who say it doesn't work, I give you an example of how it has.
    Lol it's comforting to see that I'm not the only one who's got Pern on the brain. Everytime I type in 'lair' in my head I have to pause so I don't automatically type in Weyr. haha.

more Weyer-folks here than you might assume, Reverse
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Thread Information