Thread: shouldn't 9-11 first responders be given health care benefits??

Default shouldn't 9-11 first responders be given health care benefits??

I don't usually send out political messages, but this just got me too irate.

On 9/11/2001, many first responders went far above the call of duty to respond to need. Hours turned into days turned into weeks of desperate work. The cost to them? Now many suffer from health problems directly related to that work - onset of cancer and such. However, they are not adequately covered by insurance to cover the health care costs and many are on disability - which means lower pay - so that they are struggling with hundreds of dollars in medical bills each month.

Republicans in particular have use 9/11 as a political rallying point. However, Republican senators are too selfish to pass a bill giving 9/11 first responders health care benefits before Christmas. They do not seem to care that what may be the last Christmas for some of those responders is spent facing debt and hopelessness, because it would be "disrespectful" to the holiday to work until the new year.

Their party posturing has gone too far. Check out Jon Stewart's tribute to them voting no on a stand alone bill for it:
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mo...-f--k-congress

Jon Stewart also talks about how US mainstream media has largely ignored the issue, despite a history of screaming about anything 9/11 related. Remember the "mosque on ground zero" - an islamic community center a couple of blocks away? Mainstream media got folks to hold rallies against muslims and talking about burning the Qur'an. Why do they not care about those first responders who actually did something about the disaster? Have the Republicans bought out mainstream media?

Here's the last Daily Show episode for 2010, which was dedicated to this issue.
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-epi...-mike-huckabee
    It includes a discussion with some of those first responders about how they are being treated.

I was honored to spend a day in September 2001 as an ambulance volunteer in NYC to provide a little relief to those working so hard. I have never seen another area so in need of support, nor any more dedicated people. I wonder now how many of those I interacted with on that day are dead or dying from their efforts. How can anyone allow political posturing to slam these people and their families??

Republicans refused to extend unemployment benefits for those actively looking for work until those who caused the economic crisis got to keep their tax breaks. Now Republicans are refusing to give 9/11 providers the Christmas gift of direly needed relief for their health care bills. Personally, I think all those Republicans who voted "no" after using 9/11 as a rallying point should be removed from office.

Please check the information for yourself to learn the truth. Then, if you are willing, I would love for you to forward the truth on to as many people as you can. I think we need to kick out the greedy, obstructionist nay-sayers if real change is ever to happen.

Thank you for putting up with my rambling,
    Melanie

Default Re: shouldn't 9-11 first responders be given health care benefits??

Don't think a politician with a "-R" or "-D" behind his name speaks for their party. They speak for that Almighty dollar. I've come to the conclusion that speaking about politics is like kissing your sister. It's pointless. And using Jon Stewart's show as a source of information is like saying Rush Limbaugh speaks the absolute truth. Both those guys are so slanted politically to one side it's ridiculous. They are mostly satire also. I'm not belittling the 911 responders needs, the only way things really get done in America is by the generosity of this nations peoples. And not by government.

Quote Originally Posted by Riaken View Post
    Don't think a politician with a "-R" or "-D" behind his name speaks for their party. They speak for that Almighty dollar. I've come to the conclusion that speaking about politics is like kissing your sister. It's pointless. And using Jon Stewart's show as a source of information is like saying Rush Limbaugh speaks the absolute truth. Both those guys are so slanted politically to one side it's ridiculous. They are mostly satire also. I'm not belittling the 911 responders needs, the only way things really get done in America is by the generosity of this nations peoples. And not by government.
    About use of Jon Stewart's material - if it were commentary by the staff, intended to be satire, I'd agree with you. However, in this case, it is straightforward clips from real newscasts and direct interviews with the affected people presented. The senators condemn themselves by their own words and actions.
    Furthermore, giving up on the government is condoning letting them do whatever they want with our tax dollars instead of holding them accountable to do what is right. I don't really care which party is in power so much as I care that they do what is right for the people of the country.

"clips from real newscasts " MSNBC FOX CNN? More slanted political propaganda to make either party look bad. If this is a congress issue, don't the Democrats hold the majority? These first responders are government workers? Thought they all had Cadillac health insurance policies? Do they have to get private sector policies now? All I got out of your post was Republicans Bad, Free health care.

If someone becomes ill during and through his work isn't the employer / responsible for the costs? I think in this case there is a clear - also moral - responsability to take care for those people. (And in a generous way!)

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

To answer the question you posted with - Yes...yes they should.

This is not a political debate nor about political sides. Its about doing the right thing for those that thought not of themselves in others hour of need.

They deserve to have conditions brought about by their selflessness treated and covered - in FULL.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Riaken View Post
    "clips from real newscasts " MSNBC FOX CNN? More slanted political propaganda to make either party look bad. If this is a congress issue, don't the Democrats hold the majority? These first responders are government workers? Thought they all had Cadillac health insurance policies? Do they have to get private sector policies now? All I got out of your post was Republicans Bad, Free health care.
    the Dems may hold the Majority, but it only takes one A$$-hat Repugnant
    to threaten a Filibuster, thus forcing a 60 vote threshold. The DEMS
    do not hold 60. ALSO, those that crafted this bill already worked out
    how it will be paid for.

YOUR example is based on flawed Faux-news Drivel. Learn PoliSci 101
    and then you might catch a clue how ignorant your statement really is.

As it stands, ALL The Repugnants are Treasonous Slime and traitors to
    their country. THEY stand indignant about patriotism while they bankrupt
    this country and destroy the lives of its citizens. THEY tout the Heroism
    of 9-11 while they vote against giving those Heroes any compensation
    for loss of Health. THEY violated the Geneva Convention, THEY tortured,
    THEY invaded a Sovereign nation that was NOT directly attacking us
    NOR were they having a Civil War in which they pleaded our intervention.
    THEY have violated our Constitution, our National Honor, and our Economy.
    Why not one more - Violating our Trust.

The corruption within our political system has become as bad as it was
    in Russia just before their collapse.

We have an Economic Meltdown and financial sector collapse because
    no one was held Accountable for their actions. NOW our Politicians
    are not being held accountable for theirs.... Obvious conclusions??

UNITED WE STAND - Divided we fall.

I know which side the repugnants are on, and it isn't for Unity.

Andaras

I agree with AWDZ, but currently the USA has 1 major problem that needs to solve itself…

The “sheep” that are the US citizens love to swap sides from the apparently scary Democrats to the Republican the moment they get told the democrats are wasting time and money. The American people should start thinking for themselves with the brains that god has given them instead of always listening to the mud throwing of the politicians.

I really hope that all the disabled people from 9/11 will get the proper monetary aid they so desperately need… But I doubt you will get it from the republicans; they need money for warfare and playing global police (Global Defence Initiative anyone?).
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

In one word Yes!!!

Its shameful to see the urban hero's that helped save several 100's lives from that tragedy. To fall victim of the fall out from the towers dust Quite Franky the government has Broken every principle that this country was founded off of and no longer chooses to represent the people of America nor its ideals there is hope but its not found in eather with the Republicans Or Democrats or Diplabrats it lays with the American people

I for the past few years have been saying this and its time to say it again the most important document in this country is the Constitution it begins with the Preamble our founding fathers knew the fate of this endeavor would lay with the people and party's would get corrupted

The Preamble starts off
    We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

This is never going to happen but it is my sen-sear wish.

Every one Holding a Political office needs to walk a Mile in the middle classes shoes. Swap lives with an Unemployed person, Literally assume that persons identity if you will. for a set amount of time. No Privet funds, No strings to pull, they are sent from top of the hog to struggling to survive like Half if not more of this country is, and they can not sit and wait it out either cause there time will not start till they actually tend to the responsibility of that person and from the peoples eyes see how ugly it truly is out there (I think 2 month should wake up some if not most ) and i bet you there will not be half as much as pork as there is now they will not be made up Crisis such as health care ect and we might even make a dent in to that ridiculous debt we are carrying .

Again Never going to happen but i am sure that will open some eyes if it ever did

I truly believe that our government has lost touch with reality and its time for them to find there god given talent of common seance .
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy View Post
    I agree with AWDZ, but currently the USA has 1 major problem that needs to solve itself…

The “sheep” that are the US citizens love to swap sides from the apparently scary Democrats to the Republican the moment they get told the democrats are wasting time and money. The American people should start thinking for themselves with the brains that god has given them instead of always listening to the mud throwing of the politicians.

I really hope that all the disabled people from 9/11 will get the proper monetary aid they so desperately need… But I doubt you will get it from the republicans; they need money for warfare and playing global police (Global Defence Initiative anyone?).

Sorry for the dubble post but i just half to say one thing to this

AMEN
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

Just read that the senat approved a package of compensations. I'm very glad for the victims.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

It appears that the Republicrats and the Democans harnessed the hamsters...

Knossos

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Just read that the senat approved a package of compensations. I'm very glad for the victims.
    This is excellent news! I'm still ticked off about the original hypocrisy that drove my need to outcry, but at least something good was done after folks got mad - and in time for Christmas even!

better late than never right! Bout **** time - but it makes me feel a little better they were able to do this .
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Thread Information