Thread: Definitely need some help here.

Default Definitely need some help here.

On Christmas Eve, my system contracted a vicious malware, and on Christmas Day, I got rid of it, but found that I could not log into Istaria anymore, so I submitted a ticket. On Sunday, I completed the installation of a new security program (AVG Internet Security 2011) but still couldn't log in. On Monday, I still couldn't log in, still had no reply on my ticket, and didn't know what else to do, so I followed a suggestion from my mate, and uninstalled Istaria and went to re-download and install it. I downloaded the setup program from the Istaria site, but when I went to run it, it told me that a secuirty program was blocking the download of the game files from the internet. I shut down all my firewalls to the best of my ability, but that didn't change anything.. I searched every security option and setting I could to see what could be done, and nothing worked.. I updated my Ticket with the new information in the forlorn hope that the support team could give me some insight.

It is now Tuesday, and I have yet to recieve word on my ticket. I check it regularly for replies, and ahve gotten nothing since Saturday. Our annual Guild Ball is tomorrow, and I would like to be in attendance. Can anyone ehlp me? Especially anyone on the Dev side of things? Why can''t I download the files? Do you have me blocked? Do you need my IP Address? Somebody please tell me hwo to fix this so I can actually play the game again.

Default Re: Definitely need some help here.

It sounds like a network settings issue with you firewall. I don't use AVG, so I can't be specific (you may get some FAQs here though: http://www.avg.com/fr-en/faq.pnuid-1285111881 ).
    I think your firewall should be set as described in the support knowledge base: https://support.istaria.com/index.ph...ode=view&id=22

Ultimately, if nothing works, make sure your system is safe with a full scan (not a quick one if you can choose your scan type) of your hard drives by the antivirus. Then, you can temporarily uninstall your security software the time to download the game. Obviously, this won't be the safest way to do it as you won't have protection for a while.

Also, make sure you don't have several firewalls running at the same time (Windows firewall, another one from an older security system, etc...). If you have installed a new security program, the previous one must be removed.

I hope this can help.
    Firebrandcrest Arma: Ancient Helian Dragon | Dragon 100 / Dragon Crafter 100 / Dragon Lairshaper 100 / Dragon Crystalshaper 100 (Order) | My MODs: Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack v2.5.4.0, Alternate Dragon Bolt Casting v1.4, Old Istarian Ambiance v1.0.8.

Thanks for trying, but sadly, ti's no good.
    I uninstalled AVG, disabled Windows Firewall... Nada, no good. Didn't change a thing. I still can't DL the files for Istaria. I'm becoming convinced that this HAS to be something on their end, but I finally got a reply back on my ticket, same advise as FireBrand, and saying that all the support staff is on vacation. (EVERYONE FREAK OUT!!!!!!) So I guess I'm up the creek without a paddle.

missed you, shadina... maybe when you do get back in game, we can try the dances and such again, if we can drum up enough spontaneous interest. i did save some goodies for you :-)

Sounds like what ever the virus did is still in effect. Unfortunately, often removing a virus doesn't remove the problems its caused (ie settings it has changed). You should be safe to just pop in your windows disk and reinstall your OS. The registry settings should copy over (i think) so you shouldn't have any non-working programs and the virus complications should disappear. Fingers crossed for you. All else fails... time for a reformat.
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Erm....

https://support.istaria.com/index.ph...ode=view&id=22

Refers to logging into the game.

The problem here is your are trying to install/patch the game.

That works differently as the installer/patcher will download from the patch server (which is a FTP connection).

Check that you can reach the patch server with a ping

ping 68.142.64.216

and/or

ping patch.istaria.com

Also check that your router (hardware firewall), Windows Firewall and any other security software is not blocking Port 21. This is the default port for FTP.

Another check (unlikely one) is to have a look at the the HOSTS file to make sure this malware hasn't setup some naughty redirects. This would be \Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\HOSTS

Other than that a full wipe and reinstall will only fix the problem if its the computer causing the problem (and not the router or ISP).
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing View Post
    Erm....

https://support.istaria.com/index.ph...ode=view&id=22

Refers to logging into the game.

The problem here is your are trying to install/patch the game.

That works differently as the installer/patcher will download from the patch server (which is a FTP connection).

Check that you can reach the patch server with a ping

ping 68.142.64.216

and/or

ping patch.istaria.com

Also check that your router (hardware firewall), Windows Firewall and any other security software is not blocking Port 21. This is the default port for FTP.

Another check (unlikely one) is to have a look at the the HOSTS file to make sure this malware hasn't setup some naughty redirects. This would be \Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\HOSTS

Other than that a full wipe and reinstall will only fix the problem if its the computer causing the problem (and not the router or ISP).
    How do you Ping something?
    "Nothing Is Never Not... everything is never."-Vacuus, Lord of Nothing

You go into MSDOS (command.com or cmd.com)

ping 68.142.64.216 is against the IP address

ping patch.istaria.com is against the DNS address

both are identical (DNS is an alias) but I always do both as if one fails then there is a problem.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

It sounds like perhaps that malware has barred some ip ranges to screw up your pc'c internet access. Even though the malware is gone, the malicious settings remain. You know the way Spyware Blaster blocks certain sites to protect you, well I'd wager something similar has been done by the malware to block legitimate websites. Are there any other sites you use that don't work?

Chasing's post should clear up whether you can actually see the server. Good luck!

Rakku

Sounds like the hosts file is hijacked to me. You can just delete the hosts file completely. Do a search, set it to search hidden and system files, search for:
    hosts

Will probably return 2 search results hosts and lmhosts.sam. Just delete the first one. Check the file size first (out of curiosity). If it's larger than 1kb, its definately hijacked (often 200kb or more), and should be deleted.

Then you will want to go back and re-enable the firewall (disabling all that could be a bad thing). You might need to make sure the needed ports for the game are open:

But more than likely you will not need to manually make these setting changes. Launch the game, and if the firewall is wanting to block it, you usually get prompted "Kepp blocking this program?" Followed by 2 buttons "Always Block" and "Always Allow" You want to choose "Always Allow". You should see this pop up once. maybe twice at most.

Thread Information