Thread: Devs: Interesting idea for the dragons future?

Default Devs: Interesting idea for the dragons future?

At this moment I still mostly enjoyplaying my dragon... Between evading bugs or missing spawns (good thing I don?t dislike craft... lol)...

The only thing that I as a now high lvl hatchling found to be strange from the start is why I should have to chose between becoming Lunus or Helian? While a biped can switch schools to specialize in certain abilities? Except from the lore what is even the point of keeping them separate? The lore concerning the fact that Lunus have a dislike for all bipeds except fiends is massively outdated anyway since in reality our so-called ?enemies? the humans roam Dralk at there own will and we (Lunus in this case) can walk safely in the biped cities...

My idea is to create a large full scale event to announce Lunus and Helians will merge again to 1 complete race because the WA are getting far to close to the borders of both our homes? After this event make sure dragons can multi-class and let spell casters (mostly Helian) and melee fighting (mostly Lunus) be separate adventure schools which we can switch in like the bipeds...
    Merging the 2 factions in the way I propose would have big advantages: - Only 1 Rite of Passage... So less work for devs to maintain or destroy (in theory of course)... [;)] - Allows multi-class for Dragons... [:D] Thus gives the beginners and seasoned players some work so they wont get bored... And would open the way for more Dragon crafting schools... (maybe speciallized spell craft or scalecrafting schools) - Higher amount of health points with multi-class... Considering a lvl 100 adv dragon can go up to 2200+ hp (generally speaking) it would probably increase our total amount of health points to a point we might even be able compete with the lvl 110+ bipeds...

The lore speaks of the fact that biped abilities from a certain school cannot be used anymore after he changes to another school... Use this to give each new dragon ?school? separate abilities (which btw should have been done already long time ago, but that beside that point)... For example give: - The melee fighters:
    1 or 2 melee multi hit abilities like silver strike and gold rage (without hoarduse)... The spell casters: 1 or 2 prime bolt type abilities which do equal damage to the melee abilities...

And off course keep Silverstrike and Goldrage as standard fighting skill for both schools, but make those 100% chance to hit and always max. damage... So at least then it is worth the hoard when using it...

Even though it is a lot of work to make this reality, things need to keep changing to keep the boredom away...

(So many ideas? So little time? So little hope...)
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Default Re: Devs: Interesting idea for the dragons future?

But what about the people who would like to role play the faction differences? In fact the factions at this point are more like a political faction rather than a class though the lore does seem to point to Helian being caster types and Lunas being melee types.

Well nobody ever said people would have to do both... Thats up to the player to decide, just like the bipeds... They can also decide which schools they wanna join... And I want it the exact way for us dragons...

Andas for the political differences, I think there is room for change......

Aslong as from a lunus point of view the following does not changes there are NO true political sides in the game:
    - There is NO guard (preferebly rating lvl 150) next to the arrival point in Dralk killing all bipeds except fiends (as the lore scribes Lunus have only allies with Helians and Fiends)...
    - All gifted areallowedto use vault / pawnbroker / consigners or whatever in an according to lore hostile town...

And even the fact of Helians being true spell casters and Lunus are true melee fighters might point to lore, but the lore was in my eyes only created to limit the far superiour dragonsin comparison to the bipeds...
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

You must of course realize that the true reasons for most of these inconsistencies you're pointing out (bipeds free to go to Dralk, etc) is mostly from a mechanical point of view. Dralk is a T4 area with resources rather close to the city, and possibly has resources around it that are hard to find elsewhere. Now, given that bipeds craft just as dragos do, if Dralk was closed off to bipeds, therewould be major, and I mean major, bad reactions to such a move by almost the entire population of bipeds working in T4.
    And Helians and Lunus can already pursue any fighting style they wish to; the stat bonuses are almost negligable to higher level players, and the factions do not 'limit' the abilities of the dragon; the dragon simply is a bit weaker than bipeds, I think, in part due to the inability of a dragon to multiclass as a biped can.

Lore is just that: Lore. It has little real effect on the game as it is now, mostly because of all the other things AE is trying to fix or improve ot introduce right now. But the lore does state that the Lunus and Helians are rather different in their points of view on bipeds, and this is the reason cited as to the Great Schism. The do not get along. They wouldn't unite just because of the Withered Aegis.Working together for a common cause is NOT a union. Even nemesis may work together to destroy a common threat, but they can be right back at each other's throats as soon as the threat is dealt with.
    "Merging the 2 factions in the way I propose would have big advantages: ...- Allows multi-class for Dragons..."
    In what way would the faction merger produce these results? Lunus and Helian are not adventure classes, both are still in the Dragon Adventure School. Multiclassing is not possible for a dragon as of yet, in fact, it may never be. Such a thing is for AE to decide.

Now, as for my true rebuttal:
    This is only my opinion, but I really don't like the idea of merging the factions. In fact, I think we need a third (those of you from Tazoon may remember this). If the factions were to merge, a very interesting factor in dragon life would be taken away. The choice of being Lunus or Helian is just one of those things keeping us from being a cookie-cutter race. Merge the factions and we'll all be the same.
    I see that you don't think the factions should be split, but your reason seems paradoxical: "Except from the lore what is even the point of keeping them separate?" The lore IS the entire reason to keep them seperate. Lore is important in this game to me, as it is to those dragons on Order. It adds in a conflict betwixt dragons; and conflict is the heart of any good plot.
    I personally would like to see even more disparity betwixt Lunus and Helians; I would like to see them drawing farther apart, not closer. I would like the 'event of joining' that you speak ofto be almost an event of a total ties cut. Then I would like to see Draak liberated, releasing the third most controversial faction of Astrus, the only faction not thinking itself above the biped. I thrive on conflict; peace bores me.
    Which is kind of odd, considering I craft more than adventure.
    But oh well.
    That's my lot.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

I really understand your statement, but the only reason I did but this forth it simply the fact that ingame terms there are absolutely no differences apart from breath weapon...
    And I want to be able to multi-class or have my overall stats increased more per lvl I gain...
    I wanna be as strong as a dragon is suposed to be, not weakwho has a lot lesshitpoint an average multi-class biped of my rating has...

Not even mentioning the fact that it seems to be very dificult to even maintain2 RoPs, let alone 2 ARoPs if that will even happen...

I never said to completely throw the concept of Lunus or Helian in the garbage...

Besides many people want to be Helian at this moment are either extremely annoyed because it hasnt been working for 2 months nowor they turn Lunus instead because they dont wanna wait any longer...

And I never said that Lunus and Helian can be seperate adventure classes...
    If I recall correctly I mentioned the terms of melee and spell casting...

And as long as at least on Unity Helians and Lunus can have fun together in the 2 dragon channels (Dragons and Scaled) and there is no PvP introduced to have a real conflict... In my eyes there is no conflict... lol

Many things have to change to keep the dragons interesting to play, mostly by adding more challenges, multiple schools to join...

And dont forget... I merely put down a proposal that seemed interesting to me...
    I doubt that any dev. has even read it anyways, but it is cool to keep a discussion going about the subject of the weak dragon race...

And maybe after many months, years, decades they will change stuff for the beter...

The devs actually have already stated that they want to make more differentiation between the two factions. I'm awaiting that.
    And I think that multiclassing can be achieved without merging the factions. But people will have to be aware of the choice between meleeing Lunus and casting Helians, and be patient with whatever bugs there may be in the quests. Patience is a big part of this game at this point in its development. It truly is that, a development. This game is incomplete and probably will be for some time.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

""But people will have to be aware of the choice between meleeing Lunus and casting Helians, and be patient with whatever bugs there may be in the quests. Patience is a big part of this game at this point in its development. It truly is that, a development. This game is incomplete and probably will be for some time.""

This is currently my first MMO...
    But I must say that about a year after a game has beenputin the shopsthere are quite a lot of incomplete elements, and being forced to wait with doing a quest for more then a month is not exactly a good thing to do...

For some strange reason the people want to fly... lol
    So why not let them choose after they are adult and mentally more capable to take such a decision, create 1 Rite of Passage and let the Adults choose if they wanna go Lunus or Helian...
    Or let the Hatchiesdo RoP as neutral dragons and right before or after a hatchy uses the phylactery on himself let him chose the side after being given a proper introduction to the lore by some dragon npc...

Gaderath

For some strange reason the people want to fly... lol
    So why not let them choose after they are adult and mentally more capable to take such a decision, create 1 Rite of Passage and let the Adults choose if they wanna go Lunus or Helian...
    Or let the Hatchies do RoP as neutral dragons and right before or after a hatchy uses the phylactery on himself let him chose the side after being given a proper introduction to the lore by some dragon npc...
    Okay Yes people want to fly, however part of the responsibility of being an adult, even in life, is making difficult decisions on what you personally believe in. If a Hatchling is going through the RoP just to fly (which too many do VERY early now) then they are missing the point. It is not a "Rite of Flight". It is a "Rite of Passage", the ascension from being a Hatchling, a mere child in both form and mentality, to an Adult in form, mentality and responsibility. For Dragons in Istaria that responsibility is squarely shouldered on whether you wish to work with the younger races side by side almost as equals, or whether you merely tolerate them for now until the Aegis has been defeated then you can make moves to suppress and rule the younger races once more.

As it is in Istaria, as it is in life, there is more to being an Adult that just being bigger.

Indeed Gaderath, but the problem is...
    There are no ways to let the new adults know they have a responsibility... [:)]
    And even if they are supposed to help me... The new Adults are barely half my lvls on both adv. and craft... So not much help... LOL [H]
    But appearently many people play this game only for flying...
    It could never ruin my game, but the adults lower in lvl then me shouldnt be surprised to hear me say "Little one" to them... [H]

Gaderath

Simple solution, with the Adult RoP being a lot harder now (after seeing the lvl 80 Reaver Dragon Hatchling the lunus have to drop) increase the base level to do it so the Hatchling's Level is comparable to the mobs that have to be killed.

I have been playing this game very long time most of it as a Dragon, It's a nice idea to have a choice infaction but since the game started there were no classes to dragons, the main reson was (and now more then ever i do belive its a good reason) that dragons are diffrent then bi-peds as a creature and as a class, if you put classes to dragon you make them bi-peds in "quad-ped" form, they will be just another class to choose from not uniqe (so we get bigger - giants are big,so wecan breath fire = just another class skill).

Dragons are uniqe to this game and has a diffrent way to play from bi-ped (where you can play them in every other game out there) in theplay style, advancement, crafting and "Houseing", were bi-peds get skills every level we need to quest most of them to get them improved (a choice).

Just read the post about why to play a dragon to see why to leave them as is .... well i mean finish them andlairs and then leave them .... well the idea of another faction is nice ... but the main idea of dragons difer in any way from bi-peds are the main reson to play dragons from the start, becouse we cant choose class becouse we need to hoard, becouse we need to quest for skills (and becouse we can FLY[;)] ).

sorry for spelling or syntax errors, hope you got the idea [:D]
    Shuki GoldenWings
    Dragon 92 adv 81 craft
    Order

I have never been saying it has to be done...[:)]
    Its more like getting a constructive critisism and maybe a few ideas from othershow they might wanna add or change existing features toraise the mighty dragon to its rightfull place far above thetop of the strenght piramid... [H]

Thread Information