Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardware incopatibility

Default Hardware incopatibility

So since October 09 my computer has been doing some weird things. Crashing, restarts, BSODs. On all games and even web browsing. Computer is two years old so should not be dying yet at this stage. Took it to Microcenter to have it run through benchmarking tests as we thought it was the graphics cards failing.

They couldn't find the problem, but we replaced the graphics cards anyways. The next step was to get a new mother board, but DELL CS is NO help whatsoever in getting a new one. Been on the phone with them three times already and still no closer to obtaining the part I need. God I hate DELLs.

Anyways, after installing two brand new Geforce GTX 460s late November, all those problems went away. No more restarts, BSODs or crashes with any other game or web browsing any more.

Except Istaria. Istaria has gotten worse to the point where it is no longer playable. I log in, walk three feet in the ED and get a BSOD or my computer mysteriously resets itself. I can craft sometimes and if I'm sitting still, the computer is fine. But if I go into combat, computer restarts itself.

At this point I'm not sure what to do but I've been playing less and less over the months because it is just too frustrating to be on Brightheart who has to walk out to the ED gate and dodge a ton of baddies to get her primal mastery X done and I've gotten 8 DPs in two hours (and a lot of walks back) because of these resets.

Default Re: Hardware incopatibility

When you get a BSOD you get a load of spam as to what caused the Stop error.

If you can write down what it says it might help point to the right direction of which bit of hardware is to cause.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

What OS are you running I was getting not the same but very similar errors when I switched to windows 7. Couldnt find anything wrong with my computer but it was happening in any MMO. And my computer certainly meets all game requirements, was a system check about my monitor i had to disable, everything fine now.

Have you run a test on your RAM? http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

I'm on Win XP. 7 changes too much stuff around that I'm used to :/

Stop log:
    0xD1 (2C, 2, 1, 0xB7EE1BAB)
    NVATABUS.SYS address at B7EDE000 datastop 441a2430

Ram tested fine.
    Last edited by Shian; January 11th, 2011 at 03:06 PM.

It really does sound like you have a hardware problem. What is the capacity of the power supply? Are you running two gtx460's in SLI? If so that requires a beefy power supply (I recommend 800 watt minimum).

From the description of your issues, one thing that could be happening is as soon as a 3D application is launched, the power draw increases, and a weak-ish Power Supply can experience a voltage drop on the outputs. That will cause crashes (I myself saw this years ago and I had a 600w psu). The other suspects are the video card and the motherboard.

Also cannot hurt to run a memory diagnostic such as memtest86+ www.memtest.org (NOT .com). Download the small iso, burn to a cd, boot it and let it complete a pass. but chances are the RAM is ok, and if it was bad the problem would manifest itself in other applications.

I'm thinking power supply. Istaria is cpu intensive, moreso than almost any other game. If the 3.3v output of the psu is weak or fluctuating, you will see the types of issues you are having. An alternate way to verify this theory would be to download Prime95, and start it running. its a CPU intensive number crunching application, that has a benchmark mode. If the pc crashes during prime95 (will probably happen in the first minute), then you have re-created the issue in a non-graphics(3d) application. This will point away from the video card itself.

Good luck and let us know what fixes it.

NVATABUS.SYS is your NVidia IDE drivers. Go into control panel, add/remove software, nvidia drivers and select just the IDE drivers to remove. Reboot, windows should install teh standard windows IDE drivers. That should fix the problem.

(Suzu the SO here, filling in for Shian on the technical mumbo jumbo)

Not in SLI, running two monitors. We even removed the SLi Bridge (again with SLi disabled) in order to eliminate the possibility that the bridge had failed (had read of similar issues when that happens).

The PSU is 1000W, though it is older. That said, the system was completely tested at Microcenter, including the PSU, and they gave it an OK. They tested RAM, CPU, and Motherboard as well, and ran Prime95 on it as well as Memcheck, several days of 3D testing as well, no failures.

Mind you all the above was done in their (rather cold) facility, with the side off, and fans blowing on it on a test bench - not "real-world testing." Heat could be an issue, but manually setting the GPU fans to 100% didn't work, but they did help for a little bit. (these are now "External Exhaust" EVGA cards, and are designed to force all air out of the case)

We had believed heat to be an issue before replacing the cards, but now only this game crashes the system or has any errors at all.

Shian **has** been running in Windowed Mode, which I've only just now been informed isn't "officially supported," Not to mention also running 2 clients... again, not "officially supported." Despite this, the system temps have remained more than reasonable, and the game mostly stable for hours on end right up until the end, at which point there will be multiple crashes one after the other each time the system reboots or the game is played again - again, sounds like heat, right? but the GPUs are often under 60C at this point, and the CPU nice and healthy as well.

(We now return you to your normally scheduled Shian)

Also, no IDE drivers in the list. (?)

You can try going through the hardware manger, navigate to the IDE and 'update' the drivers. It should search and give you two options, one NVidia and one MS.

Another thing to try (and maybe you've done this already) is a hard drive diagnostic scan for bad sectors which can also throw IDE errors.

Okay some questions

Are you running a fresh install of Istaria?
    (from the download/patch server, no copied over prefs files, no mods)

Which Antivirius are you running?

What are the dxdiag details from your computer?
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

okay, found the IDE drivers, clicked update and got the feedback 'The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software currently installed.' No options. When Significant Other gets done with work later tonight maybe he can have a look at it.

Did the diagnostic scan and while ago when problems first came up and another today, no errors found.

As for fresh install, yes, this is a fairly fresh install (end of November), even fresher prefs but I do have numerous mods installed.

Panda Global Protection 2011 is my current antivirus.

I ran a dxdiag and I see nothing obvious (like IP) that I should censor. is there anything in this that I should not post or make sure that I delete before posting? It's also like 5 pages long. Do I post the entire thing or should I upload the text file somewhere for convenience?

For DXDiag the System Information and the Display Devices parts please Shian, there should be no personal information in those sections (apart from computer info).

If you can take all mod's out of Istaria (so its a 'vanilla' copy aka fresh install) and try running. This is to rule out that its not a file corruption on the install (file incompatibility is another possible issue thou.....).

You have probably tried this already, but try running with the virus software turned off (just to see if same problem occurs and the antivirus is not to blame).

As other's have already mentioned you have ruled out

1. Graphics Card
    2. Memory
    3. Motherboard and Buses
    4. Drivers.

Therefore its not clear what the cause (or solution is). The next step would be to examine the *.dmp files that Windows 'should' generate everytime a BSOD occurs. These will either be in the C:\ or in a folder called C:\WINDOWS\Minidump. Unfortunately examining the dmp files is not an easy process
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Okay. Today I've been running one client on fullscreen mode and have had one crash, so thankfully that is not the problem. I will also try disabling antivirus today.
    What diagnostic ruled out the motherboard?

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 1/11/2011, 14:05:20
    Machine name: OWNER-EAD9F7922
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100427-1636)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: Dell XPS720
    BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A06
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU Q6850 @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs)
    Memory: 2942MB RAM
    Page File: 948MB used, 3879MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 460
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0E22&SUBSYS_13783842&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 1024.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: HP w1907 Wide LCD Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1440,900
    Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0012.6099 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 10/16/2010 13:55:00, 6359552 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
    VDD: n/a
    Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 10/16/2010 13:55:00, 9623680 bytes
    Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4D62-11CF-214C-743300C2CB35}
    Vendor ID: 0x10DE
    Device ID: 0x0E22
    SubSys ID: 0x13783842
    Revision ID: 0x00A1
    Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D
    Deinterlace Caps: {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    Registry: OK
    DDraw Status: Enabled
    D3D Status: Enabled
    AGP Status: Enabled
    DDraw Test Result: Not run
    D3D7 Test Result: Not run
    D3D8 Test Result: Not run
    D3D9 Test Result: Not run

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 460
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0E22&SUBSYS_13783842&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 1024.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: HP w1907 Wide LCD Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1440,900
    Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0012.6099 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 10/16/2010 13:55:00, 6359552 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
    VDD: n/a
    Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 10/16/2010 13:55:00, 9623680 bytes
    Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4D62-11CF-214C-743300C2CB35}
    Vendor ID: 0x10DE
    Device ID: 0x0E22
    SubSys ID: 0x13783842
    Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D
    Deinterlace Caps: {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    Registry: OK
    DDraw Status: Enabled
    D3D Status: Enabled
    AGP Status: Enabled
    DDraw Test Result: Not run
    D3D7 Test Result: Not run
    D3D8 Test Result: Not run
    D3D9 Test Result: Not run

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    What diagnostic ruled out the motherboard?
    My bad - Motherboard is still a potential cause

(although I did chuckle about Dell customer support - I've had one or two heated conversations with them in the past.)
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

If you're running RAID, I advise against removing the nvidia ide drivers. Doing so will probably make your system unbootable.

I'm assuming that the ram tested fine with memtest86, so we can probably rule that out.

Your power supply sounds adequate as well (side note: these days, the CPU runs off of the +12v rails, not +3.3v or +5v).

The stop error suggests something to do with the disk subsystem, which is usually part of the northbridge these days. Check the temp on the northbridge heatsink while playing. If you burn your finger, that's probably a sign that the northbridge is too hot.

If everything is cool, one other place for weirdness is the power supply voltage setting (if there is one). If you're feeding a power supply 120v when its set for 220, you'll probably get the system running, but it'll be very unstable under load. Don't set the switch to 120 if you're feeding it 208 or 220. The power supply will blow up, along with everything attached to it.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Okay, so did fresh install of Istaria and I could walk around for more than three minutes. I even went into the doom for some combat.

After about 20 minutes, I decided to try and run another client. Immediately I got the graphic glitch I experience when I try to run another client with these new graphic cards. (Although sometimes it affects the wold and sometimes it just makes any text blink in and out. Haven't got a capture of that yet) As usual, crashed after grabbing the film.

Edit: Now I'm back to the 'can't log in without crashing' again -_- I was so hoping it would be a nice, simple answer.
    Last edited by Shian; January 12th, 2011 at 12:13 AM.

Okay try this as a workaround...

1. Uninstall the now corrupted install of Istaria
    2. 2 new separate installs of Istaria (both fresh installs).
    3. Run Client1 from the first install.
    4. Run Client2 from the second install.
    5. Then see how stable that is.

Don't run 2 clients from the same install of Istaria.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Okay new install, no mods 2 separate folders of Istaria seems to be working as far as stability. I have run two clients successfully without crashing in the first two minutes.

This means something in my mod folder is corrupt. I'm really not looking forward to rebuilding that and all my prefs.

While I am now stable on both clients so far, I still get the graphic glitch above and the game is still rendered unplayable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    While I am now stable on both clients so far, I still get the graphic glitch above and the game is still rendered unplayable.
    I'm assuming that the glitching occurs on the 2nd client when running 2 at once (from separate installs) and the 1st client doesnt glitch?

If so just run one client for now (not ideal but it lets you play the game)
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Thread Information