Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A SCARY single player FPS game I played

Default A SCARY single player FPS game I played

If you have not heard of or played this game yet, you should try it. Amnesia, The Dark Descent. It's not physically released in the US until mid February, but you can get it on Steam for $19.99 http://store.steampowered.com/app/57300/ <-- you've gotta watch the trailer.

So far I've finished it with 2 slightly different endings. There's at least one more if I had done something differently.

It's first person puzzle/horror game is how I would describe it. But was quite entertaining and scary. Probably 20 to 30 hours to finish.

Default Re: A SCARY single player FPS game I played

I love scary games like this think i may get it. Guaren ever play eternal darknesses on the gamecube

No I haven't. I played years ago Phantasmagoria, as well as Gabriel Knight Sins of the Father. They were kinda spooky in their own ways. But Amnesia is really immersive and scary. On top of that your character is starting to go insane.

I LOVE scary games, especially the old ones, like american mcgee's alice and heart of darkness (still waiting for the seguel of AMA which should be released later this year)

Aaah, yes, Amnesia: The Dark Decent takes one of my top on horror games.
    Psycological horror is really at its finest with Amneisa, atmosphere is twisted, less you see of the creatures the more intense it becomes because you know it's going to be there eventually, waiting to strike at the perfect time.

Games such as this and Silent Hill make for wonderful plays, storylines are the general focus of these games and thats what makes them fantastic, but that doesn't mean the game is lacking in the slightest with gameplay. I enjoyed every second of playing Amnesia, both gameplay and story wise. If you have the money, enjoy horror games, and really don't mind being scared, go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by meepsa View Post
    I LOVE scary games, especially the old ones, like american mcgee's alice and heart of darkness (still waiting for the seguel of AMA which should be released later this year)

Oh yes, Alice! Great game, I really hope there will be a sequel, seeing is believing I guess. But till then thumbs up for part 1!

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

my favorite is System Shock 2. pretty scary.

but, i need to try that Sanity's Requiem game i have heard about...

Missed a good scary game guaren in my book eternal darkness is up their as one of the best. it was also one of the first games to use an insanity meter... the more insane your meter goes up the more the game messes with you like turn the volume up or down change to a fake channel give you a warning your saved data is about to be erased or your character limbs just start to fall off and one of the best was the game would make it look like your tv screen was bleeding.... their were hundreds of different effects of what happened it was just fun to run around with low insanity just to see these effects.

im right now looking forward to dead space two and currently playing alen wake.

its irks me when people go you like scary games...so your into movies like saw. no im not into movies like saw that are just out to be gory movies.

a good scary game is a heart racing thrill ride that you can put down because you need to know what is going to happen next.

Amnesia is a game that I can just about watch my partner Atrinoch play - and then, only if he'll play it with the lights on (he won't) and not too late at night... because the visuals and sound effects are pretty close to what happens when I have a panic attack as it is.

There were some brilliant moments in System Shock 2.

I absolutely love the Fatal Frame series as well (known as Project Zero in the UK) - Crimson Butterfly is an amazing combination of story, serious brown-alert moments and overall creepiness.
    - Kesqui - Formerly of Ice, now of Chaos, lair in Liak
    First Rebirth 12-12-2003 / Ascended to Ancient 12-12-2010

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Oh yes, Alice! Great game, I really hope there will be a sequel, seeing is believing I guess. But till then thumbs up for part 1!
    well, there already is a teaser trailer and a current release date known!!
    Alice 2: Madness Returns Teaser Trailer
    and I think I read somewhere that it was going to be released Q4 2011, but when I look at it now it says: TBA 2011.
    also, there are screenshots on the main page I believe, http://www.ea.com/alice

too bad the movie got cancelled though.

the jabberwocky was my favourite enemy in the first game, maybe because he looks so steampunk-ish, but dang, he is haaaard in the first fight

Quote Originally Posted by meepsa View Post

too bad the movie got cancelled though.
    Based on that I'm a bit suspicious

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Someone gifted me Amnesia through Steam... very awesome game.

One to play in the dark with headphones!!

Rakku

Yeah I've played System Shock 2 multiple times thru. One of my old Favorites. Aliens vs Predator 2 (from about 7 years back) was also pretty scary at times. Getting chased thru vents by Aliens, or jumped in the dark.

But Amnesia I think has beat them all in some aspects.

HAHAHAHA AvP always use to make me jump - those dang face-huggers. Ugg! They give me the creeps in the movies, so seeing them down a dark hallway always gave me the jitters! *lol*

I'm not much into puzzle games.

But if you're into FPS - the FEAR series (ok well I've not played FEAR II Yet, but FEAR I I have) is pretty creepy/scary. Its pure FPS - but the way they do the sound effects and cutscenes really creeped me out. And yes, when the scary music started playing I would get nervous and wonder what was about to happen.

I also liked it because it wasn't at all just based on "jump out of the dark" scare but really on visual effects and creepy sounds/music.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

AVP!!!!!!!!! god, I love EVERYTHING about AVP lol, well, except the AVP 2 movie, it was HORRIBLE compared to the first one.

used to play AVP 1 and AVP 2, and I always played as xenomorphs (aliens)

Man.

Okay, so I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to scary games. In High School I loved the Silent Hill series.

But only when my boyfriend played them and I watched -_-

Now is no different. In the military I invited one of my coworkers over so they could "show" me F.E.A.R. (I ended up having them play the whole game for me lol) LOVED FEAR for its amazing AI. Haven't seen anything like it in any other game since.

Bought this game, but the problem is, the current boyfriend doesn't like playing scary games either. This means I had to try it myself.

The BS of having to hide and not getting any weapons is just
    DO NOT LIKE!
    So I may have just paid for a game that I'll never be able to finish beyond the few steps I got with it yesterday. (Such a wimp...)

Just got done playing alan wake here great scary game i highly recomend it to any one that loves scary suspense mystery. I could not put game down and played it from start to finish the games story kept me hooked i had to keep playing

Oh ya I forgot about Alan Wake - good surv/horror game with a good plot, interesting game mechanics- a bit more innovative than say Silent Hill series and such.

My problem isn't that I get scared- but I HATE survival/horror "you're out of ammo gotta hit stuff iwth a crowbar" type thing. Where everything is used sparingly and if you run out, tough luck!

That's what I keeps me from really playing things like Silent Hill - I get 15 mintues into the game and get soo peeved off from being stuck without ammo and dying over and over again I want to throw the game out the window. (kinda like the feeling those people have in that commercial for the netflix-of-video games..).

So I only like either RPG or FPS scary - where you can get almost unlimited gear/defenses, possibly cheat codes (woo!), where I don't feel the game is just annoying. Heh.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    My problem isn't that I get scared- but I HATE survival/horror "you're out of ammo gotta hit stuff iwth a crowbar" type thing. Where everything is used sparingly and if you run out, tough luck!
    then you probably loved brightfalls, that town left gun ammo every where even in emergency road side survival kits all over the city.

Dead Space
    F.E.A.R.
    Left 4 Dead 2

Only games my GF's 11 yo kid won't watch me play. I tell him to leave cause I don't want him seeing a grown man scream like a lil girl.

Thread Information