Thread: More Animations?

Post More Animations?

Me and a bunch of friends where brainstorming about new emotes and animations. :3
    Heres a Few:
    Fly Diving: Another fast option to fly downward :P I don't think its possible but a fun idea.
    Swimming Animation: A swimming animation like the doggy paddle (doesn't mean they can swim and not drown just instead of walking on the bottom they could be doing a swimming animation?)
    Sleeping Emote: a emote that makes it look like a dragons sleeping (I believe this has already been suggested before on the forums.)

Just a few crazy ideas
    Worth a shot to post :P

Default Re: More Animations?

Some alternate sit/sleeping animations are on my to-do list for all races. There is a screen capture somewhere in the dragon forums of a test version that I worked on a while back. It has some issues caused by different head shapes but I think I can work them out.

Now your "Fly Diving" idea is an interesting one. Might be able to work that one based upon camera angle though I'd have to ask the tech guys. However, we don't have any way to go fast in a dive. Presently, the dragon could go nose down but it would descend at the current descent speed. I added it to the list of emote ideas I keep. Thanks!

Default Maybe you can

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
    Some alternate sit/sleeping animations are on my to-do list for all races. There is a screen capture somewhere in the dragon forums of a test version that I worked on a while back. It has some issues caused by different head shapes but I think I can work them out.

Now your "Fly Diving" idea is an interesting one. Might be able to work that one based upon camera angle though I'd have to ask the tech guys. However, we don't have any way to go fast in a dive. Presently, the dragon could go nose down but it would descend at the current descent speed. I added it to the list of emote ideas I keep. Thanks!
    Well when you LOOK down and then fly forward you just fall and you do so MUCH faster than "Flying Down" allows you to get there. So what you could do is just add that as the animation instead of the normal "Falling" animation?
    "Nothing Is Never Not... everything is never."-Vacuus, Lord of Nothing

Default Re: Maybe you can

Just did a quick pose of what something like the dive could look like. I'm thinking that if we did develop this one more that I'd make a 5 to 10 second loop out of it. Give a bit of rocking around from turbulence. Heck, I'd like to copy that dive scene out of How to Train Your Dragon where the camera is following them down to attack the monster dragon. That was a nicely done animation. But I think that I'd have to have a more gentle animation because I don't think we would be coming down that fast.

Standard disclaimer: No promises this will be made!
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks interesting so far. I hope you will be able to go further.
    Firebrandcrest Arma: Ancient Helian Dragon | Dragon 100 / Dragon Crafter 100 / Dragon Lairshaper 100 / Dragon Crystalshaper 100 (Order) | My MODs: Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack v2.5.4.0, Alternate Dragon Bolt Casting v1.4, Old Istarian Ambiance v1.0.8.

I'd like to see the dragon "eat" not look like I'm standing up and swatting something in front of me.

Of course there are two options:

Dragon's head goes down towards ground/paws, open-mouthed, then moves as though it's "tugging" something between the foreclaws (a couple of short, sharp twitches upward) then faces forward again as it swallows. Of course, this would also be a fun /emote after we've killed a deer, or gruok, or Son of Gigaroth ... *nom nom nom*

Or, given that we eat a lot of (very small) biped food products, a "toss into the air and snap with the jaws" movement - even if it's just the upwards jaw snap - would look nifty.
    - Kesqui - Formerly of Ice, now of Chaos, lair in Liak
    First Rebirth 12-12-2003 / Ascended to Ancient 12-12-2010

It already exists in the files. It's just not used. I don't know why though.
    Firebrandcrest Arma: Ancient Helian Dragon | Dragon 100 / Dragon Crafter 100 / Dragon Lairshaper 100 / Dragon Crystalshaper 100 (Order) | My MODs: Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack v2.5.4.0, Alternate Dragon Bolt Casting v1.4, Old Istarian Ambiance v1.0.8.

Default Re: Maybe you can

Just did a quick pose of what something like the dive could look like. I'm thinking that if we did develop this one more that I'd make a 5 to 10 second loop out of it. Give a bit of rocking around from turbulence. Heck, I'd like to copy that dive scene out of How to Train Your Dragon where the camera is following them down to attack the monster dragon. That was a nicely done animation. But I think that I'd have to have a more gentle animation because I don't think we would be coming down that fast.

Standard disclaimer: No promises this will be made!

this is really really really really really cool

Quote Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
    It already exists in the files. It's just not used. I don't know why though.
    It is....kinda silly looking. Looks like the dragon is holding a chicken leg in it's paw and noming on it. See attachment. There is also a similar eating animation while laying down.

I've been wanting to build one very much like what Kesqui suggested with ripping off something and swallowing it down. Has not been one that I've gotten around to doing, though.

rofl.. that is quite.. commical.. and slightly unnatural way.. of eating least i think.. i do picture a dragon the other way described but i do enjoy this hehe

My first impression of the eating one was that the dragon was calling to someone... then a closer look at the claw position made me think the dragon was coughing. Too bad they can't equip a chocolate mouse or piece of celebration cake to be stuffing in that maw.

Yeah, still frame it looks like a cough. But the dragon is really chowing down. If you ever wanted to see it run you could copy the dragon_u_eat_standing_hold.gr2 file into resource_override and rename it to dragon_u_d_idle_n_n.gr2. Launch the game and every dragon just standing around will be eating themselves silly.

My first thought was...

Banana-phone!!
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

doot doodle dooa doot

Yeah, still frame it looks like a cough. But the dragon is really chowing down. If you ever wanted to see it run you could copy the dragon_u_eat_standing_hold.gr2 file into resource_override and rename it to dragon_u_d_idle_n_n.gr2. Launch the game and every dragon just standing around will be eating themselves silly.
    Hatchling: *addressing an elder dragon* "What are you chewing on?"
    Dragon: "What are you talking about?"
    Hatchling: "What are you chewing on?!"
    Dragon: "What are you talking about?!"
    Hatchling: *notices other dragons standing around, also chewing continually* "Everybody's chewing on something!" *notices, while standing still, he himself is unconsciously chewing the same way* "I'm chewing on something!"
    Dragon: "...I think young one has perhaps missed his afternoon nap."

I'm sorry. I had to. XD
    Chaos: Gael Tycarren--Dragon
    "I just... want to remember."

It is....kinda silly looking. Looks like the dragon is holding a chicken leg in it's paw and noming on it. See attachment. There is also a similar eating animation while laying down.

I've been wanting to build one very much like what Kesqui suggested with ripping off something and swallowing it down. Has not been one that I've gotten around to doing, though.
    I remember this video, unfortunately the link is dead (but maybe Steelclaw still has it?): http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...2&postcount=10
    And it looked better on the video.

You see the Dragon eating the feral way: the Dragon dives to is prey and catches it, breaks its spine with his paws, stucks his fangs in the victim, rips the flesh with blood dripping on chest scales and swallows his mouthful in one gulp. Yes, that is the way you can imagine a Dragon eating.

But wait! We are in Istaria, not in The I of The Dragon (where you can eat your victim dead or alive and screaming): Dragons don't hunt their prey... they go to the local tavern and ask the waiter for the menu! As they actually eat dishes, they may do it a more... civilized way. Not sure they way you describe would really fit the game mechanisms (until we relaunch the "raw meat eating for Dragons" debate which would probably be swiftly closed by Amon or Velea).

My opinion: even probably imperfect, the unused eating animation still looks less stupid than the default swatting/punching animation. Maybe you should use it (no client work as all is ready: minimal work for you) until you revamp it with something better.
    Same for bipeds of course... I think there is also animations for them.

I added the eating emotes to an emote pack I'm kindof-sortof working on, and I personally think they look fairly good (after slowing them down a bit anyway). And yes, definitely better than swatting at the air.

As for a more "feral-looking" one, I do agree with Firebrand's point: Istarian dragons, probably Helians especially, are not overly feral. A number of the ones RPed on Order can be fairly sophisticated and well-mannered in fact. I doubt that all dragons would eat in such a bestial manner.

Too bad allowing a choice between multiple eating styles is likely out of the question. xD Perhaps a medium could be found between the two. Maybe the dragon might pick up its food as in the animation that already exists, but rather than "nomming" it might bite then jerk its head to the side.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Quote Originally Posted by Armameteus View Post
    Hatchling: *addressing an elder dragon* "What are you chewing on?"...
    Dragon: "...I think young one has perhaps missed his afternoon nap."

I'm sorry. I had to. XD
    It could be worse....

Halp!
    - Kesqui - Formerly of Ice, now of Chaos, lair in Liak
    First Rebirth 12-12-2003 / Ascended to Ancient 12-12-2010

Quote Originally Posted by Kesqui View Post
    It could be worse....

Halp!
    Oh my god, I love this. XD

I'd like to see an "OMGWTF" sort of emote put in. Like a '/shocked' or '/surprised' or something.

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...?t=459&page=69

After seeing the image submitted by Malaquion, I'd love for something of the same like as that to be usable whenever we want.
    Last edited by Armameteus; January 31st, 2011 at 04:19 PM.
    Chaos: Gael Tycarren--Dragon
    "I just... want to remember."

Thread Information