Thread: Cats

Default Cats

Is there anything to suggest that there are Nonanthropomorphic cats in Istaria? That is to say, any feral four legged felines or house cats?
    "Nothing Is Never Not... everything is never."-Vacuus, Lord of Nothing

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Default Re: Cats

now that you mention it, are there even any predatory ones? i mean, there are no dogs or insects either, but you can see wolves and spiders and such....

do i sense feline prejudice at work???
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

There are a number of animals that seem like they ought to exist but just don't in-game, probably just for development reasons. I've always assumed cats must exist, as well as lizards, but I don't know of any official lore on the subject.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    There are a number of animals that seem like they ought to exist but just don't in-game, probably just for development reasons. I've always assumed cats must exist, as well as lizards, but I don't know of any official lore on the subject.
    regarding cats: "The Saris are a proud race, originating from feline stock.", not sure if this is of any significance, but to me it sure proves that there are/were other cat-like beings, just like the thingy in the tailor shop at dali proves that there used to be horses (lore-wise ofcourse) =)

Saris are the reason that I assume cats exist in some form out in the world, just as Sslik are the reason I assume lizards and other reptiles exist out there somewhere too. It would really, really odd if those two biped species evolved and then all of their ancestors disappeared completely.

The reason they don't appear in-game is most likely that models, etc. were never developed for them, and, since VI has to prioritize everything they do, still hasn't had a reason to add them. Though I think it would be really neat if we got some new mobs based on these things, rather than new bugs, which the game is rife with already.

How awesome would it be to run into cougars in the forest or to see crocodiles lazing on a coastline somewhere?

I agree with this, and I think that, not every specy appear on the game, so these animals may exist on Istaria, even if they don't appear in game.
    When will we have Ferocious Cats using Meoww VI?

Unfortunately, we're sorta limited with the game.

If I recall right, the guards no longer attack things because it takes up memory. Long long ago in a galaxy that looked a lot like this one, HZ was 'unique' because it featured a seamless world - that is a world without zones and loading screens to those zones, unlike its competitor at the time, EQ, in which you had a loading screen to go from Freeport City to the plains just outside. It may be due to memory concerns, therefore, that there aren't a much of critters walking about. It could also be due to a lack of art department or time schedule, or many other things.

All in all, there are a lot of creatures that do in fact exist in Istaria, but we do not actually see them. Parrots are the best example of this, because we can have stuffed parrots, but never see a living parrot (even when we're chasing one for a quest ;p).
    Maekrux Vythulhar, the Blue Phoenix
    "Resurgam!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kaerisk View Post
    All in all, there are a lot of creatures that do in fact exist in Istaria, but we do not actually see them. Parrots are the best example of this, because we can have stuffed parrots, but never see a living parrot (even when we're chasing one for a quest ;p).
    that reminds me of Anarie lol, how long is she going to keep those phoenixes in cages?

Default Well

Saris may have Evolved from Lesser Cats but they may well have also replaced them entirely. As they grew to fill the Niche the Four Legged Cat inhabited they may have made the Four Legged Cat go extinct. We have Birds now that came from Dinosaurs but do you see Dinosaurs anywhere? Nooo, because the Birds had what was needed to survive and the Dinosaurs did not.

Likewise while there are other Apes in the world we do not see Protohumans running around still. (Jokes about some folks aside) We were superior and thus took over their place in the world.

The reference in the description of the Saris may be just for an outsider's benefit. Something to tie them in for folks living in our world considering they ARE Feline for all intents and purposes and it does not say specifically that there are other four legged Cats.

Likewise the Sslik may well have taken over the Evolutionary place for any species that is too similar but there does seem to be evidence of Snakes existing. There may also be SOME sort of other smaller lizard as they themselves are more like a Velociraptor than a Lizard in their design. Dragons seem far more Lizard-Like in their body shape and design.
    "Nothing Is Never Not... everything is never."-Vacuus, Lord of Nothing

Default Re: Well

Well, yeah, there is the possibility that Saris and Sslik totally replaced their evolutionary predecessors, but replaced all of them, leaving no branches at all to be found? I find that unlikely. You don't see protohumans, no, but you do see gorillas, monkeys, and chimps. I would see a cat more in the "gorilla, monkey, chimp" category. A "proto-Saris" would likely be a biped, if perhaps shorter and hunched over, and perhaps they were replaced by Saris proper.

I found a lore-quest that explained why snakes aren't in Istaria.

My first venture into Istaria fanfiction: link and my other fanfics: link and artwork: link

Quote Originally Posted by flamestar View Post
    I found a lore-quest that explained why snakes aren't in Istaria.
    Is it one anyone can do? Who gives it?

I kind of figured that with the major devastation of the Withered Aegis war, many species died out due to the infestation of Blight. Those that did not, got cranky/nasty - that is why wolves, crabs, ruxus, etc. are so aggressive (and possibly contributed to the wiping out of the other species).

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    Is it one anyone can do? Who gives it?

I kind of figured that with the major devastation of the Withered Aegis war, many species died out due to the infestation of Blight. Those that did not, got cranky/nasty - that is why wolves, crabs, ruxus, etc. are so aggressive (and possibly contributed to the wiping out of the other species).
    Wait... sorry, my mistake. It wasn't a lore-quest, it was actually the quest "Plundered Tombs: Locate the Tomb of Borannis". As far as I know, anyone can do those quests.

When you speak to the Librarian of Ages (at least I'm pretty sure he's the one who says it) about King Borannis, he mentions in passing "have you ever wondered why there are no snakes in Istaria?", and that Borannis's daughter was killed by a snakebite from an asp. In his anger and grief, the king killed all the snakes in the desert, and presumably the rest of Istaria.

My first venture into Istaria fanfiction: link and my other fanfics: link and artwork: link

And while we're on the subject of extinct Istarian species... What do you guys think happened to the horses and their relatives? Personally I think the dragons liked the taste of them better than cows, and found them more filling than the other farm animals, and ate them all.

Or they could've also eaten/killed them all to better control the humans by removing a swift means of transport and a means of cavalry, to name just two valuable aspects of domesticated equines.

Thread Information