Thread: Travel the world? Or some parts?

Default Travel the world? Or some parts?

Hello denizens of Istaria (Horizons) that I know, as far or as close as you are, this is going to be awkward to say and ask.

A old woman that I work with has traveled the world time and again and has enough miles to circle it 3 times. Shes working on her forth. She has told me that I should travel the world while I'm still young and I quite agree with her Although her suggestion on how I should do it are a little scary.

I don't want to be another american that just stays in a place and lives or the expected one to complete high school (did already), complete college (1 year left) and then get a job and settle down. Theres so much to see.

Anyway, she had suggested that I get on a cruise ship and work on it to travel. I thought about it but I'd rather not for some obvious reasons that I know no one and am scared weightless. But, I did think about it and have become friends with people over Istaria and they live in various parts of the world.

So the awkward part would be this..
    Would any of you welcome a friend from the net or the game to spend a little time with you? Granted I am not asking to mooch, I know how to pull my own weight. It would be nice to travel the world tho. Any replies or messages for questions or anything are welcome via here or a pm.

Signed,
    Andre. Nawkia.
    ^.^ *Speed Demon of order..*

Default Re: Travel the world? Or some parts?

Well I'm always one to encourage world travel, however I would caution against putting off any career dreams or work to do so. It is possible to travel the world chunks at a time, as you are able to save money and such, and still see the world several times over.

My grandparents did this, and 'm currently doing this myself. Over the course of their 50+ year marriage, keeping in mind they were both teachers with two children to put through college, they were still able tot ake trips al over the world. Africa, China, Japan, Europe, Canada, you name it they were able to go at some point or another - many places multiple times. They just saved up and made it a priority for themselves as where they wanted their money to go.

Cruises are an excellent way to see the world as a passenger yourself, and many times for cheaper than you could ever do by flying/hotel room. Many of my world travels have been on cruise ships (I've been going on cruise since I was 15 with my family, I've been on at least 10 at this point..), and even for my honeymoon we took an american cruiseline through China/S. Korea, and Japan for 8 days. Awesome experience!

But having been on so many cruises I can also caution you about working for them. I know many of their employees come from underserved countries because even though they may less than minimum wage for Americans many times, they may more than they would at a regular job in teir home countries. So it works for them. I don't know where yo ulive, but that may not work as well for you. Its cramped conditions, not a lot of pay, 24/7 work schedules when you're on the cruise with not always the opportunity to get off at ports of call. They'll often be at work for weeks or even months at a time, traveling the same route the cruiseship has for that season, with only a day off every 6-8 days or so. When they are in their home-port they may have a week or two off before the ship sets out again. They can't go HOME to their families home until they are shifted off a ship to sign on to another one. They often go montsh and months wihtout seeing family and such. And they may get one day a week to visit a port of call the ship happens to be in. And I can tell you, one day isn't enough to experience the world - merely give you a taste of where you might want to go back to for longer =D

Having spoken to many various cruise workers over the years, they point out why it works for them - but I dont know that it would be beneficial for everyone. So I would encourage you to really research such a job before applying. It might be perfect for what it is you're wanting, just do the research and know what it is you want.

Because you, like myself even at 35, have many years with which to travel and see the world. Ya don't gotta do it all in a year or two . Simply make it something you set aside funds for regularly and stick to a priority of taking one trip every year or two for it. You'll cover the world and still move forward with whatever career plans you may have.

I'd offer you up a place to visit on your cruises, but I don't live in a port of call , and the way I understand the employment you wouldn't have 2-3 days to drive up from Mobile, AL to my home in B'ham, AL 4 hours away to hang out lol.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Lol frith I live in lousiana I wouldn't mind traveling round the states either. Other places are other places

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

so far, i have been to mexico, the uk (briefly and not long enough), hawaii (which is really another country within america), bermuda, and, of course, beloved egypt (gift of the nile, the two lands, the black lands blessed by the mighty gods).
    the egypt trip took 10 years of saving.
    i hope someday to go to australia, the mediterran, a longer tour of the uk, the 'grand tour', and perhaps even asia.

i have known peeps who have chucked everything and went on walkabout. not sure i could do it, it is not the safest thing to do, especially for women, but it has been done.

it all depends on how brave you are. if you like stability, then you do the work-and-save routine.
    if you don't mind a great adventure, do the cruise thing.

but keep in mind the above words of wisdom - do not expect to be well paid or treated if you go the cruise/tourism way....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rizo/nawkia View Post
    Lol frith I live in lousiana I wouldn't mind traveling round the states either. Other places are other places
    Ahh, well then you'll probalby find the cruise pay is pretty poor compared to what you can get without cruising. But like I said, research research!

And having been to New Orleans - its way cooler than B'ham. . Otherwise there isn't much difference in general between LO (LU?LA?) and AL - we're only a few hours apart after all.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

LA, And NO sucks as far as I'm concerned. Most fun stuff to do there is get drunk and party till you get arrested and neither are on my list of things to do:P Granted there are some cool places its still not my scene.

Feel free to visit tho lol

OH I do - Nawlins is one of my favoritest places in the world. And I don't drink or party when I'm there either .
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

Thread Information