Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Warning to those with public lairs/plots

Default Re: Warning to those with public lairs/plots

I think banishment is the right measure.

Flame`s lair was robbed and all t6 lairshaping pieces were gone.
    It took us months and lots of help from our friends to redo everything.

Sure we need players-but we do not need trolls/thieves.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

If it is the same players, well, maybe... but did you send tickets at these times? did the developpers reacted?

yep! sent a ticket. but I cannot get the instance ID. the devs told me to select the structure/room and type /printprops. but I do not have that option. I get an error message in chat saying there id no command or macro
    so I`m at a loss :P

ban them. instantly.

Istaria has no room... -NO ROOM- for people who steal like that. they can go to Eve Online and do it there.

i have no mercy for theives at all.

Are you doing "printprops" or "printpos" Darkwing? Printpos is the correct command.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Its obviously with malicious intent, who has enough inventory item stack to clean out a lair. Someone either cleaned their inventory to do it or made multiple trips. There is no doubt it was done with intent to clean people out. You see how much planning it took the Grinch to get everything.

Well appears it WAS infact a server wide event. Vaela helped me get back most of my items, but a few others also complained of being emptied out so until this person`s caught she even suggested if you have a room/guildhouse lock it to guild only or deny all to be safe. O.o

There's no way she or anyone else can actually track who's been going into lairs and stealing stuff? I'd assume there would be a record of it somewhere... Or so I'd hope.

Even if there is a way to track it, what then? The thief just makes a new alt, becomes incognito again and just keeps on stealing. It's a sad state of affairs that this is such a server wide problem with no sollution.

Oh THAT isn't a creepy question at all. Begone HTML formbox!

I would suggest banning his IP Address but I highly doubt that'll stop him from renewing it and making another one.

I am sure he will stop it eventually...If this is an experianced troublemaker he might stay a while. Otherwise if it's for laughs/vandalization/revenge, he will eventually move on either once he/she/it is safestied or gets bored.

...Here's to hoping this ends, it is distressing.
    We're all stuck in a mess of relationships,
    that go on with or without you.

Maybe the developpers can look for the email adresse, or the subscription... if they haven't done it already. There is surely a way for them to find the thief, if he/she is really a recidivist.

Yes, there are easy ways to find the thief. But what then can officials do?

They can't ban someone from taking things from people who choose to keep their structures public places and available to all.

That's like throwing someone in jail for wiping their nose on their sleeve instead of using a tissue.

Socially unacceptable maybe, but illegal? Nope.

The only law the devs have a chance at getting this thief on is griefing and sadly, that barely fits what they are doing.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

not really, lung - the game engine might not ever have supported protocols to discover that sort of thing....

and not much experience, thanx god - the game has been a niche one since the start, not a lot of talk about it out there for a very long time - we are used to everyone knowing everyone else by less than 6 degrees, and we get complacent within our trust.

the thought that this might be one of our own is abhorrent, so we try not to think about it, but heists of this nature are surely performed so successfully with at least a bit of familiarity with schedules and routines.

i just hope it is a true case of a very clever noob.....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

I still don't get why. If they need the money, why not just ask? Money's pretty useless to some of us when compared to goods. If they're not pawning it, where the heck are they keeping 3 lair's worth of stuff?

Perhaps it is a newb, because he's thinking that this stuff is "worth something" and is imagining himself selling it off and becoming "rich" and then having a point to hving all that money..

Its how it works in other games, so someone who may be new to the game and not understanding how different it is, is thinking this will give him a leg-up in gameplay somehow.

Or its just a tool, giving out his last vandalism-type-hurrah before his account expires and he disappears.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    Perhaps it is a newb, because he's thinking that this stuff is "worth something" and is imagining himself selling it off and becoming "rich" and then having a point to hving all that money..

Its how it works in other games, so someone who may be new to the game and not understanding how different it is, is thinking this will give him a leg-up in gameplay somehow.

Or its just a tool, giving out his last vandalism-type-hurrah before his account expires and he disappears.
    Quite a real possibility Frith. I have a coworker who dare I say it... plays WoW, he claimed he`s a storage theif, and proud of it. sure glad I didn`t tell him about Istaria O.o But it`s possible a noob maybe from another MMO like WoW who got away with theft there, thought he could here. O.o Kinda a scarey thought, but it is possible :P

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing_Duck View Post
    Quite a real possibility Frith. I have a coworker who dare I say it... plays WoW, he claimed he`s a storage theif, and proud of it. sure glad I didn`t tell him about Istaria O.o But it`s possible a noob maybe from another MMO like WoW who got away with theft there, thought he could here. O.o Kinda a scarey thought, but it is possible :P
    Errr.

I'd love to know how one does "storage theft" in WoW, considering the only storage forms in the game are:

A). Personal inventory
    B). Personal bank (think, vault)
    C). Guild Bank (think, guildhall set to Guild-only).

To be able to steal from the Guild Bank in WoW, you'd have to obviously be in that guild, and have enough rank to get items out of the guild bank.

Any guild worth the salt would have requirements set on the Guild Bank (you have to be X rank to access it, otherwise ask an officer to get an item out for you).

So I fail to see how he was a "storage thief"...

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    Errr.

I'd love to know how one does "storage theft" in WoW, considering the only storage forms in the game are:

A). Personal inventory
    B). Personal bank (think, vault)
    C). Guild Bank (think, guildhall set to Guild-only).

To be able to steal from the Guild Bank in WoW, you'd have to obviously be in that guild, and have enough rank to get items out of the guild bank.

Any guild worth the salt would have requirements set on the Guild Bank (you have to be X rank to access it, otherwise ask an officer to get an item out for you).

So I fail to see how he was a "storage thief"...
    Maybe in rl he is a master of identity theft and can hack the server.

Knossos

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    Yes, there are easy ways to find the thief. But what then can officials do?

They can't ban someone from taking things from people who choose to keep their structures public places and available to all.

That's like throwing someone in jail for wiping their nose on their sleeve instead of using a tissue.

Socially unacceptable maybe, but illegal? Nope.

The only law the devs have a chance at getting this thief on is griefing and sadly, that barely fits what they are doing.

They can ban the account by blacklisting the CC # or paypal account.
    It was proven possible during the days of EII-o-ii-o

Your analogy is not correct, as it only involves the one person.
    To be more accurate, they would need to wipe their nose on another
    person's clothing. Is that socially acceptable, Illegal?

but what then? what if that person had an immuno-deficiency and you
    just wiped bacteria on them, is that not harmful to the person you
    did that to? It is overtly harmful to the community, which is the cause
    of the concerns.

Hopefully the person doing this really IS new and doesn't know better.
    By seeing this thread they will learn it is wrong and not do it anymore.

Otherwise we face becoming an insular community and lock our buildings.

Andaras

Well no matter how nice the community seems theres sadly always going to be a few 'Bad Seeds' mixed in. So ya, when you open a storage to public you take the risk. As i have learned the hard way, public storage is like a welcome matt to theives who are even just seeking out things to brag about.

-Rhez
    Last edited by Rhezara; February 22nd, 2011 at 03:26 AM.
    Rhezara, Lunus Ancient, 100:43:22
    Sorisha, Lunus Ancient, 100:43:23
    "When life gets hard, stand proud and wear a smile."

Thread Information