Thread: Techkits

Cool Techkits

We've seen new quest techkits coming into the game more and more than before. But we can only use them - once. Now if you accidentally apply it on a wrong weapon you are screwed, if you apply it on a weapon and 1 week later you get another better weapon, you are screwed.

Why not make them - reusable, but limited?

This is an idea a player on Blight came up with (Grodec). It actually made a lot of sense and wouldnt be overpowered at all.

The idea;
    You apply the techkit on item A. After a while you obtain item B and would like to apply the techkit on that item too, but the techkit consumed and is currently on item A.

Now, you deconstruct item A. Getting the techkit - back - as you deconstructed it. Now as you've the techkit back, but not item A anymore, you can apply it to item B.

This way you can only have - one - item with the techkit - but use it on another item as you scale up.

*edit* I do am - only - talking about the quest rewarded techkits. Not the player crafted ones like Deadly, Razor Teeth and so on.
    Last edited by Dakoren Ironhand; February 13th, 2011 at 02:13 PM.
    Dakoren Ironhand - Multiclassed Half-Giant
    Krondel Bloodclaw - Ancient Dragon

Default Re: Techkits

Getting the quested for techkits back during a deconstruction (accidental or on purpose) sounds like a great idea!

(not all that difficult to accidentally decon something like a sword, when say leveling up weaponsmith making swords. forget to auto-decon, then you have a chance to accidentally decon a crafted piece)

I think it would be useful for all the one time unique quest rewarded tech kits.

However for the crafted technique kits I would say no as it would be counter productive to trade/crafting them.

However this doesn't resolve the issue of certain tech kits where they are only obtainable by bipeds and not dragons and vice versa (I'm thinking of the Frozen weapon kit)
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

I really like this idea! wtg blight esspecially with t6 items coming out.

Huh. That sounds perfectly reasonable to me: removes the terror of "what if I apply this on the wrong thing?!" while keeping anyone from ending up with a hojillion copies of a quested tech kit. If this is technically possible, I'd love to see it.

I would love this. Too often, the quest tech kits sit in my vault for fear I'll put it on the wrong thing or there's not enough information on the techkit so I have no idea what it does.

I've been saving all the tech kits I've recieved so far via quest, they sit completely useless in the vault while I level to a point where I can finally tech a item and continue to use it, instead of it being obsolete in 5 lvls. This is a great idea.

I agree for the quested technique kits.
    However to take the suggestion 1 step further... Why not make the npc's give Quest Crystals instead of Quest Technique Kits. Then we wouldn't have this problem and most quest only technique kits are also allowed in socketable pieces or armor or scale... With an exception of at least the Blackhammer farm which goes on Wing Scale and Shield.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy View Post
    I agree for the quested technique kits.
    However to take the suggestion 1 step further... Why not make the npc's give Quest Crystals instead of Quest Technique Kits.
    This.

Makes perfect sense, original idea is wonderful and if that's the least we get, well i should say "least" then, but changing them to crystals seems to much more practical to me. You can move them between weapons of same tier that way. And of course, as they're from a quest, just attune them immediately upon recieving so that there's no trading between character's, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Shinobai View Post
    This.

Makes perfect sense, original idea is wonderful and if that's the least we get, well i should say "least" then, but changing them to crystals seems to much more practical to me. You can move them between weapons of same tier that way. And of course, as they're from a quest, just attune them immediately upon recieving so that there's no trading between character's, etc.
    One downside... You cant put them on non-socketed items. Like the techs we've now for Wing scales, back scales, chest pieces and so on..

Maybe the tech that was available for a short while around the time Dralnoks Doom got introduced would help us out there. Think it was something named "large socket" or so. And have only these 'quested techkits' fit in it.
    Dakoren Ironhand - Multiclassed Half-Giant
    Krondel Bloodclaw - Ancient Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Dakoren Ironhand View Post
    ..Maybe the tech that was available for a short while around the time Dralnoks Doom got introduced would help us out there. Think it was something named "large socket" or so. And have only these 'quested techkits' fit in it.
    That wouldn't really work because that was a t6 socket for one, and it took up 2 tech slots. Needed like 100 Thornwood boards among other items from what I remember.

Too many of these armor ones as wuest rewardsm, if they were crystals would be an impediment on how many you could use.

Bone Lacing: back scale only.
    Blackhammer Clan Crest: Wings only

Neither of those are socketable.

If it was a weapon crystal it would also need to stack with regular weapon crystals, but I think the crystal idea might work for weapons. (If the tech kit was for a weapon to begin with).

For the armor ones, getting the kit back during a decon sounds like a better solution. And if they can make this work properly (probably easier than switching everything over thats already been implemented), then might as well do this for the weapon kits as well.

Only applies to quested for kits. Would not apply to crafted kits like Deadly, Piercing Winds, Dire Wolf Hide Grip, etc.

I love this idea as I have been restant to use my kits for fear of not using them on the optimal item. If we were able to decon an item and reuse the tech it would erase any fears of this. Thanks Dakoren for posting this I forgot.
    Experienced hunter and Grandmaster craftsman. Blight only

Quote Originally Posted by Grodec View Post
    I love this idea as I have been restant to use my kits for fear of not using them on the optimal item. If we were able to decon an item and reuse the tech it would erase any fears of this. Thanks Dakoren for posting this I forgot.
    I do the same thing as well. I haven't applied the fishing tech because I'm worried that there will be a t6 fishing pole and then I'll have used up my tech and then have to use a lower skill tool with my fishing tech and higher bonus rate versus the new tool, without the fishing tech applied.

I feel like I've been burned on so many items where I've thought and thought what to use a tech kit on, used components to tech other things on it--and then the kit or other tech gets nerfed and now my item is "worthless". That or a new item will be introduced and I now have my tech kit stuck on an item that I don't want it on. I know there have been situations where players have had their kit overwritten by a different drag & drop kit. It would be VERY helpful if instead of overwriting the tech kit that's already been applied, it "uninstalls" the item and returns a working tech kit to you.

Of course, the "special" crystal slot that was mentioned above would work, if it could be made to apply to ANY type of weapon, armor, scale, tool, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

Thread Information