Thread: Ashlander`s Spyro....

Default Ashlander`s Spyro....

Who else here thinks the new Spyro is hidious?
    he doesn`t even look like a dragon! More like a winged gremlin. :P
    oy! They royaly ruined him in my opinion. I`ll take the original classic Spyro anyday

Default Re: Ashlander`s Spyro....

he could look like a puppy

Wait, what?

When you say "New" Spyro, are you talking about the 3-game reboot of the series that was released a few years ago, or did they JUST release a new Spyro game? If they did that, then surely they'd have to reboot -again-.... lol.

Or did they go back to the original model/style games?

Delaware, USA that little state no one knows about XP

From what I've seen, this new Spyro is an attpemt by Activision to merge toys and videogames and Spyro is one of the characters. Bascially you go out and buy these little figures to hook up to the game and be able to play as them. In my opinion this isn't a new "Spyro" game so much as something else. I mean it probably isn't really about him since there's so many other playable characters running around. It just looks like he'll be more of a cameo character or something despite his name being in the title.

I know I'm not going to give this game the time of day, but I'm sure there'll be tons of kids who will like it. I'm just glad I'm old enough to have played the original Spyro games on the PS1. This game will have nothing to do with the previous entries of Spyro I'm sure. Another alternate reality sort of thing. And I'm none too fond of his new look either.

I know there will be lots of hard core Spyro fans who will bash and flame it and complain. Then there will be those who will love it simply because it has Spyro in it. My loyalty remains with the earlier games.
    Anariah, Callihan, Selarth, Osiron, Asandra, Azayan, and Zefani of the Order Shard
    Want a pic of your character? Click here!

I'm on the fence with the Spyro games.

I loved the first one for PS1 ever since I saw it on a demo disk (I forget what game I bought to get that demo disk), and then the 2nd Spyro that came out, was even better! It freaking rocked!

The third one came out, that one was cool too, they added some more stuff.

Then that really slow/buggy one came out for... oh what system was that again, I think PS2? Or am I thinking the Gamecube one? And then, Hero's Tail came out (the one where he's got the pink-colored girlfriend at the very beginning), and that one was kind of the revive.

All of those (save the slow-loading, buggy one) were awesome!

Then the reboot happened.

I played the first one and a little of the third... they were cool in their own right, I played the first one up until the last dungeon, got side-tracked... did it again, got side-tracked AGAIN!

I have the 2nd game of the reboot series, never had the chance to try it (I got a new LCD Widescreen TV that does not play nice with PS2s sadly, still looking for a way to play some of those old games I dearly miss) and I messed with the third a little, it looked pretty interesting, but never had the time to play it (again, due to the TV issue).

I liked how the game turned into more action, and more Spyro kicking butt instead of Mario-style stomping everything to death in cartoony ways... the "new" (back then) Spyro was more hard-core.... he clawed people to death, slammed them to the ground, and incinerated them with his fire breath.

The problem with the first game, though, was they gave you 3 million ways to kill someone, and you need only choose one. You could literally finish the game with the same 5 moves performed over and over again.

Delaware, USA that little state no one knows about XP

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    I have the 2nd game of the reboot series, never had the chance to try it (I got a new LCD Widescreen TV that does not play nice with PS2s sadly, still looking for a way to play some of those old games I dearly miss) and I messed with the third a little, it looked pretty interesting, but never had the time to play it (again, due to the TV issue).
    I thought the second of the new trilogy (Eternal Night for the ps2 etc.) was absolutely horrid. I died soooo many times because of bad controls that I'm surprised I didn't rage and smash my controler to bits. And there's one terribly repetetive level that goes on and on and on. I was like "when the f*** will this end!?". Not to mention everytime I got smacked, the 'get up' animation took so long that I couldn't avoid the next attack so I would get stuck and die because I couldn't move. I can't recommend playing it at all. You should skip it Dhalin. A New Beginning and Dawn of the Dragon were decent enough. They really dropped the ball with Eternal Night though.
    Anariah, Callihan, Selarth, Osiron, Asandra, Azayan, and Zefani of the Order Shard
    Want a pic of your character? Click here!

I liked DotD, personnally, as it had nice graphisms, good story, gameplay and it was playable by two players. About the new game, though the additional toys to buy might make it more expensive, I have nothing against that idea of games. I'll just add that I find this new Spyro's shape as not cute at all, like it was on the first games, and even hideous. I'd say they took the original Spyro, then they mixed him with a toad and a gremlin. :/

Quote Originally Posted by BrightCat View Post
    I thought the second of the new trilogy (Eternal Night for the ps2 etc.) was absolutely horrid. I died soooo many times because of bad controls that I'm surprised I didn't rage and smash my controler to bits. And there's one terribly repetetive level that goes on and on and on. I was like "when the f*** will this end!?". Not to mention everytime I got smacked, the 'get up' animation took so long that I couldn't avoid the next attack so I would get stuck and die because I couldn't move. I can't recommend playing it at all. You should skip it Dhalin. A New Beginning and Dawn of the Dragon were decent enough. They really dropped the ball with Eternal Night though.
    OH!

Good Ole Stunlock.

Don't you love it when game developers think it is a GOOD idea to have a player completely locked out of control of their character while it gets beaten to death to instill that feeling of total helplessness and frustration as they can do nothing but watch their character slowly get beaten to death?

It happens in Istaria, too, you know. Same general feeling of wanting to launch a random piece of computer hardware across the room while ranting at the top of your lungs...

same here Eternal Night`s controls were horrible. I gave up on the pirate ship, as I`d flame those reched baboons, and get stunned, and before I could even kill half of them, the floor fell out. needless to say I quit ET, but I love a New beginning, and DoTD. nice having Spyro, and Cynder to play ^^
    and the fact they can actualy fly instead of only glide! that`s a plus. only drawback is you`re still so limited to the path or the area in altitude, and where you can fly. I guesse after playing Istaria, it feels so limited playing Spyro. but still a fun game. and adorable characters

Basically it's the same thing they did to Rayman when they threw his name into the party game series, Raving Rabbids. They're banking on a popular character's franchise that they own the rights to. All in order to generate sales on a game that would otherwise obviously fall through the cracks anyways. Bravo Activision, once again proving that none of these game developers can learn from each other's mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by fermi443 View Post
    Basically it's the same thing they did to Rayman when they threw his name into the party game series, Raving Rabbids. They're banking on a popular character's franchise that they own the rights to. All in order to generate sales on a game that would otherwise obviously fall through the cracks anyways. Bravo Activision, once again proving that none of these game developers can learn from each other's mistakes.
    *nod nod*

I myself find the new spyro (skylanders), absolutely, 100%....HORRIBLE, I mean, WHAT THE HELL DID THEY DO TO HIM???? it's like they threw him in a pool of dark eco!!!oh...woops, wrong game lol, but you get my point ^.=.^

TLoS was fine untill DoTD, which was....somewhat better than the other 2, a bit more fast paced aswell (do not likez slow spyro games)

but the first games (ranging from the first one tiiiiiiil.....enter the dragonfly (ONLY the playstation games)) took the cake (which is not a lie), they were original, fun, and overal VERY sandbox-ish, which for me is awesome, as I like sandbox games, heck, I even would go to a water area and imagine spyro as a water dragon, hopping from one pool to another.

I 'unno, old spyro games just had the right feeling, now it's just like any other game I play, 100% in 1 day (or 2)

Quote Originally Posted by meepsa View Post
    *nod nod*

I myself find the new spyro (skylanders), absolutely, 100%....HORRIBLE, I mean, WHAT THE HELL DID THEY DO TO HIM???? it's like they threw him in a pool of dark eco!!!oh...woops, wrong game lol, but you get my point ^.=.^

TLoS was fine untill DoTD, which was....somewhat better than the other 2, a bit more fast paced aswell (do not likez slow spyro games)

but the first games (ranging from the first one tiiiiiiil.....enter the dragonfly (ONLY the playstation games)) took the cake (which is not a lie), they were original, fun, and overal VERY sandbox-ish, which for me is awesome, as I like sandbox games, heck, I even would go to a water area and imagine spyro as a water dragon, hopping from one pool to another.

I 'unno, old spyro games just had the right feeling, now it's just like any other game I play, 100% in 1 day (or 2)
    I liked most of the Spyro games... the first one was kinda 'meh' as there wasn't much to *do* in the way of varied game mechanics... it was the same run, jump, glide everywhere with the occasional turbo track here and there.

Spyro2, however, gave us several New things that spiced the game up a bit, and they gave us more things to collect... now we got orbs and I forget what else, in addition to just gems. Oh, and More Maps! And more storyline to each hub/level.

Spyro3 took this even further, and gave us More Stuff.

I don't remember clearly after that, I do remember a gamecube game that I stopped near the beginning of because of Lots and Lots of Loading got on my nerves really freaking fast.

A Hero's Tail was cool, the one with Spyro's girlfriend (she should have been in the game more!) and that game where you could play as Spyro's Friends (was that Year of the Dragon?) was cool too.

I think the only Spyro games I didn't like was that one with the lots and lots of loading. The 3-Part Reboot, I only played the first game up until the last level, kept getting side-tracked with other games, played a little of the 3rd one though, don't remember it.

Spyro was one of the few game series whose sequels actually did at least as good as, if not better than, the first. Too many game series to count flop on sequels because they try to get too complicated with the gameplay or they just switch everything around when all the users wanted was the first game + more.

They did the same freaking thing to Xenosaga... we had a workable system in Xenosaga I and then they changed all of that in Xenosaga II, revamped the whole battle system, blah blah... they couldn't have just left it the way it was, and continued the game's story?

But then Final Fantasy games are guilty of this too! They started out with Turn-based D&D-like spell system.. that was kinda meh. Then they decided to get rid of XP altogether, and put some stupid/screwy "hit yourself to get stronger in a hurry" system in, and then they went back to XP system and thought "Let's do job changes!" ... then they went back to a more FF1-type system, but instead of letting you choose your party, they had a premade one for you (though they did a good job with it most of the time).

Then, in V they're "Let's try the job system again!" .... then in VI, they're like "Nah, screw the job system, let's make it so that everyone is almost exactly the same, 'cept their specialty command, and let everyone learn any spell" ... then in VII, they're "Let's do 6, but instead of espers, let's use materia and get rid of their specialty commands and make the characters just a tad more different" and then in 8 is "let's scrap all that altogether, make it so you equip magic (wtf?) to make yourself stronger so that if you cast spells you get weaker and make it so that gaining levels makes the game harder" ...

then 9 is "meh that didn't work so well, let's go back to a combination of FF4 and FF7" and then 10 its "We're tired of the ATB system, let's scrap that, re-do the whole battle system and let's re-do the whole character growth system while we're at it!" ... and then in FFX-2 (skipping 11 because its an online game) it is "Let's re-write the whole character growth system AGAIN, go back to ATB, even though the game is set in the same world as FFX!"

And THEN, in FF12, it is "Let's make everything real-time, and go back to everyone being able to eventually learn how to do everything"...

Arrrgh.

IMO: FF9 was the best game system, followed closely by FF4.

Lemme think for a while

year of the dragon:
    sgt. bird, sheila and I think another char was playable

think it was one of my fave spyro games (then again, any spyro game with a swim-through-air glitch was one of my faves lol, heck, even eternal night with it's spam-flight, even though gameplay was horrible on that one)

never played a hero's tail/tale, didn't have the right console, but it seems like fun

then there are the spyro/crash crossovers for the GBA, but those never stayed fun for long.

and the DS games, I guess they were ok, even though gameplay was a bit of a pain

still waiting for my 100% dragon sandbox game, guess I'll have to wait for aro'kai and be content with that for a while, and ofcourse ista

Thread Information