Thread: Multiple Logins

Default Multiple Logins

Today I get a message stating

"Istaria is already running from:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Istaria
    To run multiple instances of Istaria, each instance of Istaria must be run from a separate folder."

I have been running multiple instances from the same folder for years, why the sudden change?

If this is a new requirement, is there a way to share the same prefs folder between instances so I don't have to maintain multiple copies of hotkeys and such. If you have more than two characters, this could get out of hand.

Default Re: Multiple Logins

No new requirements. I'm in two on one folder, so not sure why you get that message. This would also be an absolute nightmare for those that hold more than two accounts for the sole purpose of dual logging.
    Last edited by Shian; February 17th, 2011 at 07:08 PM.

I think the original intent was to avoid the problems associated with multiple instances running out of the same install location -- two or more clients writing to the same prefs and world cache can cause the world cache and prefs to become corrupted.

I'll ask about an override to allow those willing to accept the risk to do so.

For now, you can try using the .net launcher, make an additional copy of your installation, or use one of the workaround manual launch methods.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Personaly it`s easier on the computer if you only have one instance of Istaria running at a time. hense why when I duel log, I`m useing two computers. one instance on my main desktop, the other on my secondary, laptop. the game leaks memory so bad, that when I did try duel logging on one computer, the lag was so bad I could barely move my character.
    so unless you have a God computer or one all pimped out and super fast. I suggest using two seperate computers to duel log. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing_Duck View Post
    Personaly it`s easier on the computer if you only have one instance of Istaria running at a time.
    It is unquestionably easier on the computers if you have two of them each running one client. Unfortunately, that is not an option for everyone. Also, while I'm sorry to hear your specific builds can't handle two clients at once, that's not true for everyone-- for instance, I can run two clients quite comfortably.

Anyways, thanks Steelclaw, I don't have the harddrive space to be cheerfully duplicating my Istaria install for every additional login I want to run. Fingers crossed for a work-around/advanced option!

The warning dialog works just fine. I'm able to do multiple logins again, yay! Thanks for the quick response on this!

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    I think the original intent was to avoid the problems associated with multiple instances running out of the same install location -- two or more clients writing to the same prefs and world cache can cause the world cache and prefs to become corrupted.
    i find the opposite is true for me. i tried it for a while running 3 games on 3 separate install folders and i had a horrible time. half the time the world will not pop for me, long load times for areas and CTDs

i have much better performance when i tri log on just one install.

also i would like to add, do not have clear world cache checked for your second and beyond logins. i have found this does horrible things to game performance , worlds will not load and ctds. only do clear world cache on first log in if needed

Thread Information