Thread: Clicking to advance quest

Default Clicking to advance quest

Really not a fan of this anymore. It's very very annoying.
    ROP and AROP, you have to physically click each word to advance the quest instead of just greeting the NPC.
    So what right?

Well, this morning I nearly borked my entire quest. After returning to Lantenal and turning in the first elelment of the ancients, the quest was removed from my quest log.
    I greeted Lantenal who told me about the wind, then suddenly stopped talking to me and addressed me as a hatchling, giving no notice of the quest I was on.

Had I crashed at that moment, there would have been no way to get the quest back other than to submit a ticket. The only way to solve this was to scroll back up and click on the word 'wind' for him to give me the quest.

This is not the first time this has happened where if you crash in the moment you lose the entire quest.

Default Re: Clicking to advance quest

Sorry to hear that... I admit the ARoP quests were rather messy, for me, when I have done them.

The ARoP is a VERY clunky quest with the way it was setup by the original designers and is VERY prone to breaking. This is one reason why we're undertaking a revamp for the spring update.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    The ARoP is a VERY clunky quest with the way it was setup by the original designers and is VERY prone to breaking. This is one reason why we're undertaking a revamp for the spring update.
    Yay!

What happens to someone like me, though, who just started it (I did up to the first mob or two it asks you to kill, I remember something about a treant.... I stopped there because the game gives zero clue as to where in the huge world that tree even -is-, and I didn't know if it was solo-able or not)...?

Does it simply get reset and I can start over with the *new* quest line?

Or should I try to hurry up and get it done to avoid a permanently broken character, even though finding players to finish it can be difficult from what I hear?

Good to know Amon! Now I know I'll wait till after the update to even think about starting it...

I've waited this many years..no reason I can't wait a few more months lol.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Dhalin, if you can finish it in the next few months then go for it. Otherwise, you're better off waiting.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Dhalin, if you can finish it in the next few months then go for it. Otherwise, you're better off waiting.
    I'll wait then, np.

Given the number of people needed for some of those fights, and my sporadic online times, trying to race the clock isn't really wise.

Getting my dragon up to Ancient isn't really that high on my list of priorities; I just didn't want my character to be "broken" and require special fixes/etc to get his ARoP straightened out, as that'd be more hassle that could be avoided, etc.

Glory halelujiah. The flavor and challenges of the quest chain, I had lots of fun with. The bugginess and periodic "close no chat windows before you've clicked EVERY SINGLE THING. ...TWICE"? We can do without that. Revamp, yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    (I did up to the first mob or two it asks you to kill, I remember something about a treant.... I stopped there because the game gives zero clue as to where in the huge world that tree even -is-, and I didn't know if it was solo-able or not)
    An aside to your aside: this is a Rite to become an Ancient, the pinnacle of dragonhood and a sign of your experience, maturity, and wisdom! I can see making an argument that Adulthood is something owed to all but the most stupid/pathetic/incessantly AFK dragons. But Ancienthood? If you haven't at least gotten comfortable asking in Marketplace for a loc and maybe a little help, or asking your friends, or looking it up in the wiki, or even just downloading the walk-through... methinks Ancienthood is not for you yet. (It's ok, I promise. Being even MORE dependent on your 1st-person/3rd-person camera toggle key is great and all, but the mechanical benefits are icing you can quite easily live without.)

...err, not to say you're not ready, Dhalin! I just facepalm quite hard at the thought that somewhere out there is an Adult who wants to do their Ancient rites but is too helpless to actually do them.

Also also: if the ARoP revamp is even half as good as the RoP revamp was, waiting would be a fantastic idea. All the delicious fun and flavor of the old series, without the fragile chats and broken steps and buggy bits! Yesssss.
    Last edited by Thicklesip; February 21st, 2011 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Also also

But Ancienthood? If you haven't at least gotten comfortable asking in Marketplace for a loc and maybe a little help, or asking your friends, or looking it up in the wiki, or even just downloading the walk-through...
    "Looking it up on the wiki" or "downloading a walkthrough" is akin to cheating, IMO. Not only do these things have lots of spoilers in them, but it is just as much "holding my hand" as the freaking NPC saying something like "This treant is causing trouble near xxxxxx, go kill him for me!". The only difference is the former I had to close the game down and go to google/wiki/whatever, and the latter actually makes sense. I'm not asking for the game to give me an exact location, but an area to start in would be nice.

methinks Ancienthood is not for you yet. (It's ok, I promise. Being even MORE dependent on your 1st-person/3rd-person camera toggle key is great and all, but the mechanical benefits are icing you can quite easily live without.)
    Well, the extra fly speed would be nice, and I'd like to see the quest-line. But after reading how broken it is, and how it can easily screw up, bug out, etc..... I'll wait until the revamp.

...err, not to say you're not ready, Dhalin! I just facepalm quite hard at the thought that somewhere out there is an Adult who wants to do their Ancient rites but is too helpless to actually do them.
    Who said I'm "too helpless"? I mainly want the quest to be somewhat sensible. I'm not understanding where being given a general ballpark figure as to where a quest mob might be, is such a bad thing.

That, and it doesn't make much sense, IC-wise, either.

Okay, so you got a dragon out there who wants you to go kill something. The dragon even knows what most people -call- the thing, but the dragon doesn't even have any inkling of where in the huge world the thing is commonly found?

And for the record, I did ponder downloading the walkthrough, but like I said.... using a walkthrough, looking it up on a wiki, or asking people is holding my hand even more-so than if the game would just give me a ballpark figure of where to start looking.

Which tree are you having trouble with?
    Jynasix tells you, 'Thornwood, of course. But it cannot be harvested or taken from a common treant. A wood that can withstand the forces of the elements could only exist among the strongest specimens. I have heard rumors of a living thornwood tree, a treant of massive dimensions with strength beyond that of any mortal. I believe among the treants he is regarded as a leader. Bring me a branch of this tree, and we will see what may come of it.'
    This is pretty explicit of what he wants. There's only one place in Istaria that has thornwood treants. If you still have no idea where it is, it's a T6 material. Try looking near other t6 material or mapping out the T6 material and see if you see a pattern. If you are so hell bent on not having any hints whatsoever, well then you should probably map Istaria out more. Go exploring!

The other treant you need to find in this quest also tells you what he wants.

Creature of the arbor veil,

Guardian at the gates of death,

Force of nature must prevail,

In his bark true fury kept.'
    The riddles tell you what creature and where to find it. Granted they are not easy, hence why some people don't want to waste hours, days even trying to match the riddle up with the mob.

Your character won't be permanently broken. At worst, you'd have to do the quest over, but with the XP you get for each quest turn in, this is not a bad thing!
    Last edited by Shian; February 21st, 2011 at 12:08 PM.

thy Shian for your last 2 posts.
    I was still looking for appropriate words (without insulting).

I totally agree with you.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Btw Dhalin... Most mobs from ARoP can be done solo...
    Only Umyarr the golem king and Thistleface the Thornwood treant I needed help for...
    Umyarr I had assistance from 1 Ancient and Thistleface another adult...

Ow yeah when you go for the rift I would suggest asking loads of other ancients and try to gather a full group... If you want to do it efficient that is.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Thread Information