Thread: RP Desires vs Realities

Default RP Desires vs Realities

This is probably going to be long, confusing, convoluted, and essentially nothing but a rant; but please be patient with me.

I want to roleplay.

I know, I know. There's several options I could persue. I could join an RP server. I could join a MUD. I could start tabletop gaming. There's problems with all of these things in which they don't fit what I'm looking for.

I admit that I'm lazy. I don't want to have to keep track of the damage I do, the damage that's done to me, how many spells I'm casting, how long they take to recharge, how much I loot, where I spend it and on what, etc. And the ability to potentially interact with hundreds or thousands of people is more appealing to me than sitting around a table with essentially the same group of 3-5 friends. This essentially throws tabletops out of the running. Which is a pity; because I've played some good D&D scenarios.

I admit I like the graphics of video games. I like being able to SEE what I pick up, how my character changes as I swap out items. Most MUDs are text-only. Again, a pity, because ditching the 3D graphics tends to leave it more open ended.

Commercially released MMOs have their own issues. They really don't facilitate RP as much as they could. Even RP realms. One of the big problems I've noticed is the lore. Yep. The LORE prevents "good" RP. There's usually so much happening in the game to try to keep people interested that they have no idea what stories they could possibly tell on their own. The other problem is the game, itself. They're usually built from the perspective that the user won't WANT to roleplay, that they'll want to get out there, get to the level cap, and do the endgame. They also rely too much on "balance" and "fairness". This leaves the game worlds feeling artificial and static, rather than alive.

I suppose that's the real problem. I've found some very beautiful, fun, immersive games. ...That I simply can't convince myself are alive enough to roleplay in. I know full well that my character is inconsequential. It's "known" by everyone as soon as it's created; and disappears from memory whenever it logs out or is deleted. I'm aware that, no matter how I choose to avoid it; my character will most likely be fighting for its life several times during its adventures. I'm most certainly aware that no matter what I do, there's always enough to go around; and no matter how rare an item is, I can always get at least one of my own with enough persistance or money.

This has actually been a complaint of mine for several, several years. A friend of mine says that I can always make my own game, if I want this kind so badly. My main concern, if I do, is that I'll be the only one playing it.

Somehow, I just can't see someone else being excited about the "bad" parts of the non-existant game I'm looking for, as well as the "good" parts.

I can't imagine other people wanting their characters to be continuously logged into the game world, whether their user is logged in or not. I can't imagine other people wanting to keep track of their character's hunger, lest it get sick or die, and I really can't imagine other people wanting death to be more than a minor inconvenience.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just different.
    Perhaps I'll take a look at those D&D sourcebooks, again...

Default Re: RP Desires vs Realities

Are you just looking for 1x1 play-by-post RP? Or are you talking about in-game? If it weren't for my computer being a butt latey I'd go ahead and jump in and say I'm game for either.

I would recommend finding a good MUCK, or MUSH that is centered around free-form roleplay, to be honest.

What you're looking for, is some sort of plain-text, no system free-form Roleplay area.

About 10 years or so ago, I knew of a few HTML chatrooms powered by CGI scripts that were used for this purpose, but those slowly died off. Now, I play in a certain MUCK (that has no systems for dice-rolling, stats, or inventory/equipment).

It is all plain-text (you can put descriptions on your character so that someone can type 'look name' to get a description of you, for example), but otherwise, the sky is the limit with roleplay. Now obviously, godmoding and the like is frowned upon, and those types of players tend not to last too long anyways.

I'd give you the details, but eh... I probably shouldn't. Personal reasons, and all.

But anyways, as I said, I highly suggest finding yourself a roleplaying chatroom (if any still exist...) or a non-system MUCK or MUSH that doesn't have character equipment or battle code, in which roleplay is commonly done.

I'm really talking about in-game. You can SAY plenty in the game, and that's construed as roleplay. But, as another person mentioned, it's really easy to get accused of godmoding, or simply not staying within the confines of the story. Which is true; because when you roleplay with emotes, it's usually outside of the lore of the game, or outside of the role you were given when you created your character.

Take Istaria, for instance. We're all Gifted. Every. Last. One of us. We're all meant to do battle against the Withered Aegis, and free the enslaved Living Races of the world. That's the role we were put in. It explains why we can do what we can do. Anything beyond that is pulled from our own heads and technically isn't "part" of the game.

In WoW; I once walked through Goldshire just in time to see a demon birth. It "tore up half of Elwynn forest in a blast of hellfire and anguished screams". At least, that's what the EMOTE said it did. I just kinda sat at my computer, my character completely unharmed, in a relatively peaceful little village, and blinked several times as I read that. Especially considering I knew enough about WoW lore to know that's not exactly how demon births occur. Not only that, but the mother of the hellspawn soon walked out of the inn, emoting carrying her child and was a happy new-mother. Goes completely against the birthing scene; but there it was.

I'm used to the loose roleplays. They can be fun, if you're with a responsible group. But I'm craving something a bit different. I don't want to have to think up a storyline. I want it to flow naturally from what I'm doing inside the game world; without it devolving into an announcement of being related to royalty, or being posessed; or claiming you're a mythical creature just because you think it's "cool". Or worse, devolving into sex. Which seems to be the goal of about 90% of the RPs I'm invited to.

It'd be difficult to find these features in an online game. Don't get me wrong, I know (Well, I have an idea, anyway) what it takes to make an MMO. It's a LOT of hard work. Especially if you choose an engine that just isn't capable of doing what you'd like the game to eventually be.

Oh THAT isn't a creepy question at all. Begone HTML formbox!

Interesting. I have considered this myself. I THINK I know what you are getting are. That you feel limited due to the game's restrictions to your character and how people may easily whine if you try going out of the norm.

I can really only suggest two things to you. And only suggest.

1. Build your character a bit. He can be a gifted, sure. But he can also be a bit more unique. Perhaps he has a bigger agenda then just fighting the Aegis. Perhaps he has another priority. Maybe he is simply trying to live life as a blacksmith, or is helping the gifted in his own way. Perhaps he makes scales or weapons for them, or perhaps you can craft a semi-preplanned story. Make your character unique in your own way. And don’t fear, there are PLENTY of characters I know that are high-profile and break many of the Istarian rules of possibility. Hell, some of them break logical sense. Do not worry about going out of the norm a bit. Know that even if you make an ideal character, perfect to the lore and conforms with all regulations that SOMEONE will dislike it.
    2. Stop caring. Sometimes it’s just better not to give a **** what some people think. I know that may be a bit of a strange things for me to say – seeing as I usually care A LOT about what some people think. It may just be best to tone down the care-o-meter. As long as it is not completely disrupting a ton of people from their roleplay, you should try, try, try and if you want something just push it forth.
    I hope my convoluted mess of a post helps!
    We're all stuck in a mess of relationships,
    that go on with or without you.

Thread Information