Thread: Parents wake up and smell the cyber café

Thumbs down Parents wake up and smell the cyber café

Sorry for ranting this but I needed to get something off my chest

Parents wake up and smell the cyber café

Recently my mother launched an all out campaign to make my home life miserable This was a war on any and all video games even ones she bought me! Due to the economy I am an unemployed Computer technician in the Phoenix area A.K.A Ground Zero for jobs so this is my day in a nutshell get up do normal hygienic habits tidy up the house a bit and beat my head up agents the computerized job boards then after that is done I Log on one of my games whether it be Istaria Starcraft or what have you. Eat dinner and repeat the cycle all over again.
    She wants me to get out of the house and Join clubs or crap like that… News flash mom’s Driving cost $$$ Joining clubs costs $$$ (At least the ones I am interested in ) then she goes in to this looooong Half baked Philological theory that im addicted to video games … HU?!?!?!? How on earth did you get that out of my current situation? I have no car at the moment due to an MVA which makes looking for a Job all that much more difficult. I am on Unemployment so cash is a Joke at the moment and as for friends well Most of them left during the time when I was poisoned and nearly died from black mold . Meet people and not spend any $$$ ya right have any of you walked up to a park and just started to randomly talk to people ? Dint think so .
    This generation is Labeled the Cyber generation for a reason cause its how we can communicate with out the preset limits of geological barrier’s I do got friends online sure there not instate that’s fine some of the time or when your in this type of situation.
    To make matters worse she is continuing with her belief that I am addicted to my computer well that’s 30 % accurate I do aim for this to be my job I do want to get in to the gaming industry badly I do fix computers a hole hell of a lot and sometimes get paid decently if you can call that part of an addiction I guess I am guilty and I do read and research topics to further knowledge .
    So she is now on a kick and this is a Joke truly it is. I’m 25 and again due to economic constraints I am back home and she is trying to treat me like a kid and place Limitations on what I can and cannot do . that ability ended when I was most likely 18 and defiantly 21.
    Point is Parents as long as they don’t like start acting out there characters’ in videogames BACK OFF this psycho babble about little Johnny being addicted cause he plays to much. Its bull. Period take the rose color glasses off your face pull your heads out of your buts and realize its spring !!! The economy SUCKS and despite what the bogus Unemployment Numbers say its getting a lot worse the only reason that there is less Unemployment is the fact that people just quit looking for jobs or have used their unemployment benefits the truth of the matter is Unemployment is closer to 10 % or higher and climbing There is no happy way to say it so until the politicians also pull their heads out of there a--and start correcting this economy Things aren’t going to change for the great many
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

Default Re: Parents wake up and smell the cyber café

Amen to that brother. My own parental units are now snooping into my finances. Wanting and getting(unfortunately due to threats of kicking me out if i don't comply) the passwords to log into my PERSONAL bank account which I have a HUGE dislike of people just snooping. NOW they want access to my f*cking paypal account because they're looking at number spanning a long time period and thinking I've suddenly spent $900 on paypal IN THE PAST MONTH OH LAWD NO! Good GOD get your heads out of your asses and LEARN that that number has accumulated since like 2006 or whatever, FFS!.

I'm 24 myself, I have a car, though it's check engine light is on and I lost my job last tuesday for bullshit reasons (read note: None), I'm clinging to my last paycheck and I've got an $1100 credit card bill I'm trying to pay off on top of my car insurance. And she honestly has the GALL to get on MY *** as if I'm oblivious to the fact that my money is running out?! FFS! She says I'm 'taking her for granted' when excuse me toots, i need to be on my computer A LOT because yes honey, businesses nowadays, the big ones, not the mom and pops, use ONLINE APPLICATIONS, because they're kept up with the 21 CENTURY. Nobody does paper applications anymore if they're smart, and those online appys? A Borders application process took me SERIOUSLY an HOUR to do! It's LITERALLY a full-time job to LOOK for a job, and if you're lucky you'll find one in a month. A MONTH. It's horrible and NOT getting better. They listen to the news because it lies and says things are JUST peachy, and you think you've dealt with this when YOU were a kid mom and dad? Excuse me, YOUR world was EONS different than being jobless in TODAY'S world, Thank you very much!

UGH! To TOP it off I've got 5 rather difficult and time consuming classes at the college I'm dealing with and TRYING not to fail though I'm slacking majorly.

Ugh, now they're telling me I have to cancel any subscriptions I'm on, aka, my Istaria one, and my Marvel comics online one. :|

The ONE place I get to run to when **** is horrible and I have to fucking cancel my sub. I'm fucking pissed, but I can understand why as soon I'll run out of money and that's not a good place to be right now for me.

So yeah, I feel and echo your pain man. :/ Life's a ***** right now and people 'up top' are NOT helping us deal with it emotionally or mentally.
    Githinji Koray son of Starstilanxs-Order Shard, Raml Koray son of Githinji-Order Shard
    Every man has a price to charge and a price to pay. Yeah, I've paid mine in ♠spades♠.

Games are also vents for us new age people Any head shrink ( Sorry Physiologists have 0 respect in my eyes there frauds for the most part all they do is stick you on mind altering drugs and call you depressed or unstable )
    Will say that Its a Healthy out

thing is what really pisses me off is my mom smokes like a smoke stack 1 pack a day Talk about being addicted to something at least i dont need a crutch for every day life
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

@Lightningclaw: Physiologists are responsible for many things. Yes, they are responsible for the current ridiculous number of unnecessary pills that people keep prescribing for patients who are better treated another way, BUT, they also do lots of good things too. The bad pills, and people trying to stick you on meds 24/7 aren't the physiologists' fault -- the Physiologists are merely the ones who discover, research, and develop such medicine.

The people you -should- be mad at, are the greedy pharmaceutical companies charging so much money for their meds, AND, the fact they highly encourage doctors to write prescriptions for these meds to as many people who very vaguely fit into a group that "needs" these meds.

Ever taken an Ibuprofen? Aspirin? Acetominophen? Ever been to the hospital, had surgery, and had Vicodin or Codeine-Aspirin, Naproxyn, etc? You can thank Physiologists that you weren't in 10x the pain than you were. Heck, if Anesthesia weren't discovered, surgeries would be nightmares, if they'd even be possible at all.

@OP: Err, "Cyber Cafe" ... call me dirty-minded, but some people might get quite confused as to what this thread is about when they read that, then start reading your actual post, given how sadly common and wide-spread Cybersex has become. I realize after reading about halfway through your post what exactly you meant, but I can see how it could confused others.

@The Topic: I don't understand this whole "Go outdoors! Go meet people!" crap.

1). Go Outdoors? And find....what? If you live in a city, Pollution. Sitting in my air-conditioned room behind air filters, filters out a lot of smoke and smog in the air. That crap can't be healthy for my lungs, but at least indoors some of it is filtered out. Rural Areas? You find bugs. Flies, mosquitoes (again, those are NOT healthy).

2). Mingle with people? That's how air-borne diseases are spread. If people sick with the flu could stay indoors until they get over it, flu seasons would be a lot less worse. Also, there's the fact that many people suck. Yes, I'm anti-social, but I work in retail. A lot of people I meet I can barely stand to be around them for more than 30 seconds, let alone several hours. At least while typing away on the internet, I can still interact with other humans on the planet, and I can go to places where I'm more likely to find fellow humans with similar interests.

As far as my own mom and computers go:

When I first turned 16 and got my first computer (I was a late-comer), she was against the idea. "It is expensive!" and indeed it was, I remember a power surge frying an HDD and it was like $300 to replace a 1.5GB HDD. Ouch. Now you buy 650 GBs (well that was 2 years ago!) for $90. They're like what, $75 now for what, 750 or so by now? 1TB?

Anyways, she didn't like the fact I was constantly on the internet, at first she tried to regulate it using the excuse we had dial-up and nobody could call the house. I switched to DSL as soon as I got a job and they put a DSL dial-in within range of my house, and that excuse went right out the window LOL.

Anyways, I got into MMORPGs, and wouldn't you know it, I kept asking her to try playing them (it took me 2-3 years to get her into playing console RPGs, but eventually succeeded). Got her into doing minor things in FFXI, and she eventually got further into the game, getting her own account, and guess what?

She now agrees that computers are simply a better form of entertainment, and has no trouble with me using the computer nearly 24/7 when I'm not working. As long as I have a job, and earn enough income to pay my own bills (I live with my parents, yes, yes I know) and help them with major stuff (I usually pay half to one-third on such things), they don't really care how much I'm on the computer as long as I help with physical activity about the house (they're getting older).

Mom plays WoW fairly often (well, she has taken a break last few days because of bad shoulder pain making it difficult for her to sit at the desk and use a computer for any period of time), and I even had her helping me in this game a bit too.

As for smoking? Meh, I wish she'd quit that crap... but, I doubt she ever will and I've been trying to gently nudge her in the direction of quitting...

Reverse,
    Parents wanting and getting your private bankaccount info??
    This is far beyond normal, I even think it is illegal.
    Get a second account all for yourself. If you must give them the info about the first account but keep the other totally secret and for yourself.

Beside that point, it would be a good idea to handle it all a bit more mature. Excuse me for saying this but you sound more like an angry 17 year old instead of being 24

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Oh THAT isn't a creepy question at all. Begone HTML formbox!

Ah, I can relate to this. I still live with my parents myself - and they seem to usually have a problem with the hours I spend all day on the computer. I myself have my own reasons not to stay off it (such as this country fails and so do many of the people) and because I DO go out every day. I do have an education. And yet, for them, spending 4 hours online is alot for them.

While perhaps mine is not that bad, they do not complain as much, I find it annoying when people blame these things on video games and computer-time. This is on the same levels of blaming "VIHOLENT VIDEYO GEMZ".

Infact. That's become a crazy again. I've recently heared of the entire controversy with Bulletstorm. Simply because an unknown character says a few suggestive lines to the players in an attempt to PARODY machoism, the media is openly stating it makes players rapists and murderers.

Get used to it. It will always exist. Give your mother time - perhaps she will learn she is wrong. If not...try doing what I did to my parents. Got THEM to start using the comptuer. They also fell into the craze.

About the private bank account thing.

WHAT?! Are you serious? Acessing your private bank account? I say forget the fact that they are your parents. That is invading your privacy AND accessing without permition. In essense - they are STEALING your money. You are of conscenting age - I think. Thus they have no 'almighty dominion' over you.
    We're all stuck in a mess of relationships,
    that go on with or without you.

ok- here is the opinion of a smoking mother, who is "edidicted" to playing
    games (on pc or rl rp) too:

Our son grew up with playing games of all kinds. We always played WITH him.
    He was 12 when he was allowed to join our AD&D events for the first time.
    And he never was the only "hatchie" there.

Flame and me played our pc-games when he was sleeping.
    Two years later we could not get him away from the junk crap series in TV.
    When we came home from work- he was looking TV
    He rarely visited friends nor did he any kind of outdoor activities.

So we started to show him the worlds of pc games- and Dad, again, was playing WITH him. He (Flame) tought him all about pc (hard/software) he knows. And the boy was thrilled.
    Mom (me) took care that he still fullfilled all his duties
    (like homework,housekeeping, sports).
    But we knew we won when he gave away his tv for a comp.
    And yes- he got addicted- and yes, we had hard fights when we cought him playing in the night, or not doing his homework. And yes, we pulled the plug when he did not listen
    But well- those fights are normal. Thats education..uhhh I think^^

He`s is 28 now, will be a master of media informatics in a few months.
    He has a wonderful fiancee and nice friends. And no time to play. But he is looking forward to have spare time for that.
    And if there will be grandchildren on my knees somewhen..
    Well, I shall show them the world of wonderful colored big dragons and tell about their adventures..
    Last edited by LOVWYRM; March 1st, 2011 at 12:09 PM.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

People who are blessed with the luxury of living with their parents and therefore have their basic needs taken care of, home-utilities-food, should get a job, any job.
    Just because you can't find one in the field you were in or can't find one which pays what you are used to, is no excuse.

There are lots of jobs out there for low wages. You need to start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorev1 View Post
    People who are blessed with the luxury of living with their parents and therefore have their basic needs taken care of, home-utilities-food, should get a job, any job.
    Just because you can't find one in the field you were in or can't find one which pays what you are used to, is no excuse.

This. Heck at this point, you can volunteer, work for free for a month or two and wait for openings. (Best way to find a job nowadays sadly) I need to go butt heads with my SO who is currently a freelance video editor. He's getting jobs, but just shy of being able to support himself without the unemployment.
    I'm not a fan of freelance work where your next job could be tomorrow or five weeks from now.
    Really, any stable job right now is good. Even if it's out of the field one is in.
    Last edited by Shian; March 1st, 2011 at 12:43 PM.

I, myself, fit this particular group.

I went to vo-tech school for Computer Science and I do "volunteer" (well, I ask them to pay me what they think is fair) computer work by word-of-mouth of people I know RL (co-workers, etc).

I know nearly enough to run my own computer shop, BUT, the economy around here is dead for computer repair (there only 2 computer repair shops around here, and both of them are struggling, and doing 'meh').

So, I'm forced to work retail until something better comes up. Until then, I'm thanking God that my parents are willing to let me stay in return for helping them with various stuff. They're getting older anyways; its the least I could do, after everything they did for me when I was growing up as a kid.

I first off need a place that's close enough to drive to within say my town or the next. My car won't last much longer. Second, I'm staying away from the food industry jobs as I've worked them and retail my whole working life. It's time i got a 'decent' job, one that's steady, plus I don't have tolerance for food industry customers anymore, my temper is short with them and yeah I'm tired of smelling like oil.

Faint good news is in the past two days I've had three Insurance companies contacting me. However I've yet to talk to them as I for one, don't really find myself enjoying working in Insurance... and two they more than likely have some Sales position for me, which more than likely gets paid based off Commission, which I cannot do. I need stable pay, not something based on my success or failure. I don't need to be worrying at the end of the day that I did or did not make the cut on making enough sales to pay the bills. :/

Thirdly to all of you commenting on it being illegal to look into my bank account. It's not illegal if I 'give' them the password and account number, though they're mostly only monitoring my bank activity, they dont' actually have spending access to it. The part that pisses me off though is they gave me an ultimatum that if I didn't give them the password/user name (online banking) then they'd kick me out of the house. So really they're using extortion to get it from me. I don't have money to be renting an apartment, even sharing one, so I pretty much HAVE to comply unless I want to be sleeping in my car. :/

I hate it. I honestly do. I told them, screamed at them that it IS an invasion of privacy but they don't care. And I threatened my dad to his face, that if he touched anything in my bank account I'd be calling the FBI as it WOULD be a Federal offense to do anything to my account.
    Last edited by Velea; March 2nd, 2011 at 02:06 AM.
    Githinji Koray son of Starstilanxs-Order Shard, Raml Koray son of Githinji-Order Shard
    Every man has a price to charge and a price to pay. Yeah, I've paid mine in ♠spades♠.

Watch your language Reverse, Please!
    This is NOT Istarian style!
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

I hear a lot of excuses Reverse.

You don't like this and that and won't accept this and that.
    You sound like you are entitled to something, which you are not.
    You don't want a job where you are paid according to your results? Oh my.
    You are 24 years old and you are tired of working restaurant and retail jobs your whole life? You are still a baby. Try working those kind of jobs til you are 65.

Your parents want to monitor your spending because you are living off them for free. Sounds reasonable to me. Yet you threaten them?

Until you can fully support yourself in your own home and pay all your bills yourself, you need to take any job you can get and be thankful for it.

Im kinda in the same boat as you Reverse and if you want to buy something with out your rents knowing about it there is one thing that dose not leave a paper trail like a bank account and thats Cash or a gift card like a prepaid visa . thats how i get around my mom and trust me i have just enough in my account to keep it open and it stays that way

Count yourself lucky Reverse, for a while I lived in a town where there was a wait list to get jobs at McDonalds and the Telemarketing company!

Here is a option that is defiently open to you though. Join the military. Just if you do be careful and do all your reasearch and talk to each branch carefully. You might even be able to get into the field you want to be in (for computer repair I would recomend Air Force first, Navy Second, Army third, and Marines last....you could put the Coast Guard at the same spot as the Navy). This will also have the added benifit of getting you out of your parents house.

No offense Joe but I'm not going into the Military. I've already heard that option and talked to a recruiter for the Air Force, but I won't tolerate someone higher up yelling at me very easily. And before someone starts in on, 'no screaming needed', still doesn't work for me. I'm not a person who wants to devote a chunk of my life to the armed forces.

And Jorev, before you say anything more that might potentially offend me, please do not ever call me a 'baby' again. Whether you mean it in a 'long-life-span comparative' or literally. You sound no better than my parents, and thus I feel the need to ignore your advice as you're attempting to preach to me, and that's not what I spoke for was for someone to reprimand or wave their finger at me.

There are A LOT more dynamics going on in my family than I spoke here and you need to respect that fact and not just assume that I 'have it easy', because I don't.

Furthermore, it's not reasonable that my parents are snooping into my money if I'm paying my bills on time. They have no reason whatsoever to brown-nose and it irritates the living heck out of me.

Sorry, folks, but this thread has been reported numerous times and I have to agree.. it really does not belong here. I'm leaving it rather than deleting it, but am going to lock it.

Thread Information