Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I rant about...well, pretty much everything.

Default Re: I rant about...well, pretty much everything.

Quote Originally Posted by LungTien Temeraire View Post
    When I talk with new players about this, I tend to ask them, at first, if they know how the other roleplayers do, and if they don't, I explain this to them (IC, OoC, brackets, RP areas,...). I tend to not speak about rules, just explaining them what, when, how, and why. I did that yesterday, with a new player, and he quickly adopted the brackets.
    Can you write that down somewhere like on the community forum so it can be sticked. Exactly what any new player needs to know. If you want to as well I can add some kind of RP page onto the CD site/manual.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Oh THAT isn't a creepy question at all. Begone HTML formbox!

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing View Post
    Can you write that down somewhere like on the community forum so it can be sticked. Exactly what any new player needs to know. If you want to as well I can add some kind of RP page onto the CD site/manual.
    What a strange co-incidence, I was JUST writing a roleplaying guide for people both new to roleplaying to follow and casual/hardcore roleplayers to take tips off!

If you need any sort of help with it, tell me
    We're all stuck in a mess of relationships,
    that go on with or without you.

Ijust wanted to add - there is a thread in the Order forum right now talking about setting up (and have set up) different RP rooms that are SPECIFICALLY SET IN OTHER AREAS! (caps for emphasis, swear not yelling lol).

I agree of course when you walk into any RP room you have no idea what or where you may be. Its why when I enter an RP I generally don't start putting in "place" details, just "me" details and I wait and see how the RP goes to help me determine the "setting" the other RPers are hanging out in.

I've seen it in Pubs, or in people's front yards, or in Dralk, or Chic, or "the Valley" or "the lair" or whatever. Its going in and just seeing how the flow goes and where people are talking about being.

And of course - ASKING (hey guys, what type of setting are we sitting in?) I've never had any other RPer balk at given at least a brief description to set the scene.

Now - as to what the OP posted about - it is totally possible to play out your storywithout narrating it in a chatrom that would require othes to be where you are at "wether its Kion or wherever."

Many characters come in and out of the "chat room" stil RPing their storylines - but they might do it like "Blabhlah walks into the clearly, reading from the script his Kion trainer just gave him - and says, "Man this is soo complicated!" Thereby allowing someone to start asking "hey wht's going on with that there!"

So while you wouldn't be RPing talking to your Kion Monk Master (unless you Rped the NPC comign into the area to talk to you, also possible! LOL), you can certainly "wander into" a chat area and bring that up for a subject of discussion "My trainer was telling me blabhlah and I'm mad/angry/confused/happy because Blahblah".

I have certainly see characters doing that constantly. Because otherwise people would never know where their character was at. Not everyone is there for every step of a "story" or "plot" so giving them oportunity to find out where the character is and what they are puzzling over in this way lets pepole jump in and out as they can.

I hope that makes sense. There is a way to compromise between setting up a seperate chat room everytime you want to RP something, and just wandering into "random chat rp" and still moving your story forward with interactions from others.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Oh THAT isn't a creepy question at all. Begone HTML formbox!

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    Ijust wanted to add - there is a thread in the Order forum right now talking about setting up (and have set up) different RP rooms that are SPECIFICALLY SET IN OTHER AREAS! (caps for emphasis, swear not yelling lol).

I agree of course when you walk into any RP room you have no idea what or where you may be. Its why when I enter an RP I generally don't start putting in "place" details, just "me" details and I wait and see how the RP goes to help me determine the "setting" the other RPers are hanging out in.

I've seen it in Pubs, or in people's front yards, or in Dralk, or Chic, or "the Valley" or "the lair" or whatever. Its going in and just seeing how the flow goes and where people are talking about being.

And of course - ASKING (hey guys, what type of setting are we sitting in?) I've never had any other RPer balk at given at least a brief description to set the scene.

Now - as to what the OP posted about - it is totally possible to play out your storywithout narrating it in a chatrom that would require othes to be where you are at "wether its Kion or wherever."

Many characters come in and out of the "chat room" stil RPing their storylines - but they might do it like "Blabhlah walks into the clearly, reading from the script his Kion trainer just gave him - and says, "Man this is soo complicated!" Thereby allowing someone to start asking "hey wht's going on with that there!"

So while you wouldn't be RPing talking to your Kion Monk Master (unless you Rped the NPC comign into the area to talk to you, also possible! LOL), you can certainly "wander into" a chat area and bring that up for a subject of discussion "My trainer was telling me blabhlah and I'm mad/angry/confused/happy because Blahblah".

I have certainly see characters doing that constantly. Because otherwise people would never know where their character was at. Not everyone is there for every step of a "story" or "plot" so giving them oportunity to find out where the character is and what they are puzzling over in this way lets pepole jump in and out as they can.

I hope that makes sense. There is a way to compromise between setting up a seperate chat room everytime you want to RP something, and just wandering into "random chat rp" and still moving your story forward with interactions from others.

What thread would that be?
    We're all stuck in a mess of relationships,
    that go on with or without you.

I have written my thoughs about this on Order (Roleplay) > Community threads.
    Other players' ideas and thoughs are welcomed in this thread. But what do you mean by RP page onto the CD site/manual?

I have written my thoughs about this on Order (Roleplay) > Community threads.
    Other players' ideas and thoughs are welcomed in this thread. But what do you mean by RP page onto the CD site/manual?
    I believe that is refering to the --edited link--

They have a wonderful selection of player made guides, manuals and information.
    Last edited by AmonGwareth; October 28th, 2011 at 01:13 PM.

Ah, yes, I understand now. Putting a RP guide on this site would be a good idea, I am sure.

What Thread Would that be?
    This one, the one entitled "Custom RP Rooms" In the Main Order Forum, just have to go about halfway downt the page =P it starts as a discussion and then on the last page or next to last page the first few room names that have been put up are given.

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=24197
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

But what do you mean by RP page onto the CD site/manual?
    I don't have a specific page about roleplay on the Crimson Dawn website, and roleplay is a selling point for Istaria

The manual i'm referring to is the UnOfficial Manual that I published (again on Crimson Dawn). I put a paragraph about having a roleplay server (I don't really know enough about RP itself to be confident in writing a page about it).

Just to explain why, the CD website is generating a significant amount of traffic (and unique visitors), this in turn is generating traffic to the main Istaria websites (and vice versa to a certain extent)
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

If you want, you can post what I have written on your CD site
    But I'd still like other roleplayers' input (new,olders, in the middle,...).

If you want, you can post what I have written on your CD site
    But I'd still like other roleplayers' input (new,olders, in the middle,...).
    Thanks, I will wait for other players to add input.

BTW Joe has had articles published on the massively site (discussed in a separate thread), perhaps once ready, the guide you have written LungTien could be sent to them as an article as well?
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Thanks, I will wait for other players to add input.

BTW Joe has had articles published on the massively site (discussed in a separate thread), perhaps once ready, the guide you have written LungTien could be sent to them as an article as well?
    I'd be honoured to see this guide sent on the massively site, so, you can send it if, and when, other roleplayers agree

BTW I just want to say I didn't write the articles. I just provided the tips (they don't watch Istaria unless we draw their attention to it). Their professional wirters wrote the articles. However I will be happy to send them a tip about the CD website, and can wait to do so till the RP guide is published if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by joemarra052075 View Post
    BTW I just want to say I didn't write the articles. I just provided the tips (they don't watch Istaria unless we draw their attention to it). Their professional wirters wrote the articles. However I will be happy to send them a tip about the CD website, and can wait to do so till the RP guide is published if you wish.
    *Nods* I was thinking a copy on CD as a page, then a separate copy to Massively which would link directly to the Istaria site, not CD.

The Istaria website needs the traffic as such, not CD.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

*nods* yeah i agree

Hmmm... about the massively site, I am not sure it would be really good to send the istarian RP guide there; now that I consider it... perhaps shoud we keep it there, and on the Crimson Dawn site, after ensuring most of the roleplayers agree with it.

Hmmm... about the massively site, I am not sure it would be really good to send the istarian RP guide there; now that I consider it... perhaps shoud we keep it there, and on the Crimson Dawn site, after ensuring most of the roleplayers agree with it.
    *nods*

Maybe a different tac with Massively - example article - "Example of a strong MMO community working together to help improve role play immersion" - (Or something similar worded, then it can link to the RP Guide).
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

*nods*

Maybe a different tac with Massively - example article - "Example of a strong MMO community working together to help improve role play immersion" - (Or something similar worded, then it can link to the RP Guide).
    I am not sure abot sending it to Massively site, myself... but anyway, if other roleplayers don't disagree, we can send the guide to Crimson Dawn site

(Lung, will you put in that little add on, we were talking about yesterday? Please. Somehow I feel its important)
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    (Lung, will you put in that little add on, we were talking about yesterday? Please. Somehow I feel its important)
    It is done I hope I said it well enough.

Thread Information