Thread: Comp hunting

Default Comp hunting

1 comp of each type should drop in a range of 5-10 mobs being killed.....not 1 per 3 -6 hours

maybe nadia should be removed from blight...it seems the testing of comp drop rates on are not being tested....
    Last edited by Blue Hasia; March 9th, 2011 at 02:36 AM.

Default Re: Comp hunting

I too have become frustrated with comp hunting due to the revamp. I do not expect to get a tech comp from every mobs I kill, or even every other, but to get 1 out of every 5 on average I believe is quite fair. A lot of the T5 mobs drop trophies at a faster rate and most of them aren't even able to be turned in as quests for them aren't offered (I know they still accept them for coin but I though that's what the junk loot was for, no "useless" trophies) There have been several mobs that I have hunted that have a very low comp rate drop percentage and then on top of it drop 2 different types of comps and a lot of the times they are for skills that are commonly used.

Now if the intention for this was to boost the economy, giving there a better market for tech comps I have a couple suggestions.

Reward the players who are spending all of this time farming for the "rare" comps by adding the trophy quests to the appropriate trophy hunters.

Increase the drop rate a little and make it even on the mobs who drop two different comps as these are the biggest problem at the moment. Getting a comp every 20-30kills and murphys law always coming into play that it's not the comp you're after is a real letdown.

If you want to keep comps the drop rate the way they are then give them value with Nadia. If it really is a problem, drop their value to her down for ones that we are trading in so that it takes 2-3 comps of the same tier to obtain 1 that we need. This would still give an economy boost to those looking to sell tech comps but also give an out to those who have grinded for hours on mob "x" who drops comp "y" and "z" and after a couple hours end up with 3 of comp "y" and 10 of comp "z" when they really needed 10 of comp "y"

I would love to hear feedback from others as well as suggestions on issues they might have as well.
    Shinobai - 100rng/100hlr/100war/80monk/65dru/80mage/65sprt
    Crimson Dawn - Chaos Shard

Shins Draconic - 100adv/85drc/what's lairshaping?

You make some good points, Shinobi. Thank you. I'll definitely look at how we can improve the trophy situation.

As far as the tech comps, I'm happy to review the drop rates on any of them. But I need names to do so.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

The whole issue I have with the new tech components is that when a specific mob type has 4 sub-mobs, we also now have at least 4 different components, considering some of those sub-mobs also have a common and rare we have a ridiculous amount of tech components.

The only things we can do is test each mob separately…
    Kill X amount of mobs in Y amount of time which drops A amount of common component and B amount of rare components. (common : rare = 72 : 28 if I recall)

I agree that this is supposed to be tested on Blight, but appearently this is not being done properly in some cases.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Let me start this off by saying I'm not expecting things to just be given, or us to have an "easy button" to just push, but the issues pointed out are over all tiers, not just end game. I know that we need to work for what we want, but it's all about weighing risk vs reward, playing vs grinding so that is where I am coming from with this long post.....

I guess one of the biggest things to point out is that the descriptions on a lot of the tech comps themselves is incorrect. There are far too many to list as I have both seen people post about them and asked myself for ones that people knew in addition to the ones I've seen myself.

Take Armor V as an example. It asks for the tech comps Bloodskulk Bloodmage Finger and Mithril Golem Fragment. If you look at the actual tech comp itself both do not show in their descriptions as being used for Armor V.

As I stated before, there are FAR too many to list that have this problem considering how many techs there are over all the types and then for 5 tiers. They either need to be all looked over or maybe another "sticky" can be made so that other players can list ones that they come across that way it isn't such a large project for 1 or 2 people (personaly I don't have every tech for every tier scribed nor do I have ever tech comp over ever tier to compare to the tech forms).

Perhaps another "sticky" could be added for those with low or weird comp drop rates as well. I'll give a couple as an example here. Hunter Scorpions drop both Hunter Scorpion Tail Stingers and Hunter Scorpion Venom as well as *2* trophies that there are no quests for (hunter scorpion claw and hunter scorpion venom gland). The tail stingers are what I was after, needing them for the mining V tech and while I admit my luck could have just been down while hunting them I only was to get 3 while hunting them. I also got 5 venoms, 14 "trophies" and I wouldn't think myself to be exaggerating by saying over half the time I got nothing (again, could have been my luck on that hunt, I know things can be random).

Also the tech comp above, the Bloodskulk Bloodmage Finger. This mob is scarce and not an easy one to tackle at it's reliable spawn. There are 5 spawn points that I have found. 1 is random in north spirit swamp, 1 is random near the spirit tower and 3 are in the bloodskulk fort which are static spawns but grouped with a soothsayer and 2-3 spearfishers (which obviously is quite hard to do solo, and sometimes not fun even with 2-3 people) On top of this, he also drops two comps, the finger and bloodmage hair. And then again, with the trophies, the only one able to be turned in is the Bloodskulk Pendent, but there is also a Bloodskulk Soothsayer Staff, Bloodmage Scroll and Spear Fisher Spearhead.

Again, I understand you need names and such to further investigate so I think a "Sticky" dedicated to these issues at hand might be in order. Bottom line issues being

1) Tech form vs Tech comp description dicrepancies

2) Tech comp rate of drop weighted against difficulty of enemy and/or frequency and number of spawns

3) Same mob dropping multiple comps, split where can be split (example: Both Bhal'kuk warriors and elite warrior drop both warrior's jawbone and warrior's big toe.) Splitting would allow us to better know what to except when we hunt something.

4) "Useless" Trophies either being added as quests or removed and have the "junk" loot table adjusted. This is needed all the way up through T6 (mostly the trophies that drop in Doom) <I know this one you already said you were going to look at>

*EDIT* Another thing I forgot to state is that right now, plenty of people still have credit with nadia that they are holding onto and use as they need these new comps. This will not last and as those "credits" get used up THAT is when these issues will truly be apparent.
    Last edited by Lord Shinobai; March 10th, 2011 at 05:22 PM.

4) "Useless" Trophies either being added as quests or removed and have the "junk" loot table adjusted. This is needed all the way up through T6 (mostly the trophies that drop in Doom) <I know this one you already said you were going to look at>
    I evaluated them.

- There are none missing in Tiers 1 or 2
    - 2 in Tier 3 (Desert Scorpion Leg and Greater Nix Beetle Compound Eye)
    - 4 in Tier 4 (Shadow Tarantula trophies and Bloodfly Thorax)
    - 4 in Tier 5 (Feral Bloodsnout Hooves, Purple Tarantula Breeder Sacs, Ravenous Bloodsnout Hooves, and Shattered Ravenous Bloodsnout Tusks).
    - 14 in Tier 6.

Now that we have them documented we will work on filling in the gaps.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    I evaluated them.

- There are none missing in Tiers 1 or 2
    - 2 in Tier 3 (Desert Scorpion Leg and Greater Nix Beetle Compound Eye)
    - 4 in Tier 4 (Shadow Tarantula trophies and Bloodfly Thorax)
    - 4 in Tier 5 (Feral Bloodsnout Hooves, Purple Tarantula Breeder Sacs, Ravenous Bloodsnout Hooves, and Shattered Ravenous Bloodsnout Tusks).
    - 14 in Tier 6.

Now that we have them documented we will work on filling in the gaps.
    I did a quick over on my trophy pouch to "compare notes" of sort, and this is the list I have thus far of just the T5 Trophies without quests (as well as hoard values on them, I apologize for not having exact level range but the HV usually gives an indication of level range). I will only be listing T5 and 1 additional one from T4 but would be glad to further investigate depending on your response.

T5: Name - Hoard Value
    Ravenous Bloodsnout Hoves - 635 (you listed)
    Bhal'kuk Gatherer Ears - 413
    Sand Crab Claw - 413
    Sand Crab Gland - 553
    Gloomwolf Claw - 635
    Feral Bloodsnout Tusks - 480
    Feral Bloodsnout Hooves - 480 (you listed)
    Nahguk Pygmy Beatstick - 553
    Feral Bloodsnout Youngling Tusks - 457
    Ogre Rock-Hauler Manacle - 553
    Bhal'kuk Warrior Beatstick - 635
    Blood Skulk Soothsayer Staff - 553
    Blood Skulk Bloodmage Scroll - 635
    Hunter Scorpion Claw - 457 (Blue trophy, maybe for quest?)
    Hunter Scorpion Venom Gland - 479 (Red trophy, says it's "rare", maybe for quest?)

I have verified with the trophy hunter all 4 T5 trophy range quests to make sure that none of these had a quest with the hunter.

The T4 one that I wanted to add was the Scavenger Scorpion Claw - 264 (Blue trophy, maybe for quest?)

Like I said, depending on your response (if all of these trophies are meant to be only turned in for coin, or whatever the reason they're there) I will be more than willing to try and collect the names and level ranges for all trophies without quests.

Thanks Amon

Thread Information