Thread: Anyone play on a Mac?

Default Anyone play on a Mac?

I saw a post where some players have gotten Istaria running on Linux... I'm wondering if anyone has had any success on a Mac? I'm using Crossover Games and I can get as far as the login screen... but when I try to log in I get several errors saying that it was unable to communicate with the authentication server, etc.

I haven't played Horizons since release and I logged in recently on my old PC and got the bug to play again. My main computer is a Macbook Pro (mid-2010 model) and I would really need to make it work there to actually return. Hoping someone can help me out.

Oh, and Bootcamp isn't an option... don't have enough drive space!

Thanks!

EDIT: I had tried searching for "Mac" but it was too short to pull results. I just searched for "Wine" and found some other threads out there. Sorry about that... I didn't mean to repeat a topic that had been posted already!

Default Re: Anyone play on a Mac?

you must be able to run windows somehow to run the game on a mac I think. I run it on a MacBook at times...is fine save for the constant crashing of my internet
    "State your case, but do it well. I do not suffer fools gladly." ~Sereamha Balla-dor

I got it working! See you all in Istaria!

Whatd you do to get it working?
    ^.^ *Speed Demon of order..*

I haven't payed on Mac anytime. I have listen a a lot about the mac so many time but not yet played.

I kind of followed the "pig's trail" to get it working. Trial and error basically. I created a WinXP bottle in Crossover and ran the setup.exe that I downloaded from istaria.com. I got a warning about .Net 2.0 but ignored it and everything installed fine.

I tried installing .Net 2.0 and running the launcher but could never get past the login screen. So I cheated and just copied over my patched Istaria directory from my PC. Then I tried to run istaria.exe and got an error that I needed to use the launcher. I tried the Java launcher and got an error, so then I installed Java into my WinXP bottle. Still no dice.

At that point I looked up the batch file launcher and lo and behold... it worked! The bad thing is that I'll need to recopy over my Istaria directory on the PC after every patch...

Oh, I did go into the Wine configuration and set up an emulated desktop so I could play in a window reliably. If I'm not multitasking, I'm not awake.

Hope that helps! It's not perfect, but the game runs at medium-high settings without any more lag than usual. I'm on a mid-2010 Macbook Pro with a 330m video card.

Thread Information