Thread: Publish Istaria on Steam

Default Publish Istaria on Steam

Why don't you publish your game on Steam?
    Steam has a huge community so i think thats a perfect PR ^^

For those who don't know what steam is: Steam is a Online Game Platform. Big and small game studios publish their games on Steam. Gamers can buy games with some clicks with credit card and you can access your games on any computer in the world.
    Last edited by Velea; May 20th, 2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Link to non-Istaria related website removed

Default Re: Publish Istaria on Steam

No can do, for several reasons, the biggest being licensing.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I don't like steam personnally... it forces you to connect on internet and update your game before you can play solo games or solo modes.

I like steam, but I don't think this would ever work, alike what Amon said.

For example, Istaria isn't sold anymore. Unlike most MMOs these days, Istaria no longer requires you to buy the game on top of subscribing for it. Now the game comes free, and the subscription is all you pay for. Steam works by taking a percentage of the sales of each game sold through their service. If Istaria isn't sold, then their percentage will be a percentage of $0.

Besides, I don't think that Steam would pick up Istaria even if the devs tried to get it listed.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Quote Originally Posted by LungTien Temeraire View Post
    I don't like steam personnally... it forces you to connect on internet and update your game before you can play solo games or solo modes.
    Not exactually lung, if your able to start it in offline mode, i believe you can start it up without being connected to the net, however anything like Steamcloud Synch, and things you achieve that are saved serverside won't be saved.
    Thenalth Venalueth (Order) Adult Lunus
    Kelthorath Insalik (Order) Hatchling
    Riethali Koray (Order) Hatchling

It's not quite as simple as just starting in offline mode, unfortunately.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Quote Originally Posted by LungTien Temeraire View Post
    This. While I do use steam, it is terribly irritating and I do know people that hate it with a passion.

Not to mention when my computer restarts I have to sit though "checking Steam for updates" "connecting account" "Loading" etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    This. While I do use steam, it is terribly irritating and I do know people that hate it with a passion.

Not to mention when my computer restarts I have to sit though "checking Steam for updates" "connecting account" "Loading" etc.
    On Steam: View -> Settings -> Interface (Tab) -> Uncheck "Run Steam when my computer starts"

If Istaria could get on Steam it would be so much better. Think if there are any roadblocks why it couldnt be done these need to be taken care of.
    Dakoren Ironhand - Multiclassed Half-Giant
    Krondel Bloodclaw - Ancient Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Dakoren Ironhand View Post
    If Istaria could get on Steam it would be so much better. Think if there are any roadblocks why it couldnt be done these need to be taken care of.
    It simply cannot be done. Sorry folks, it isn't EVER going to happen. This isn't a team-size, money, time or even a desire issue.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Thread Information