Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changed Portal systems

Default Changed Portal systems

After being away from actively playing for a few months (been online sometimes, but always sleeping on Bristugo Vault) I discovered the changes to the portal system.
    I discovered that suddenly all racial towns have “City: (City name)“ which make it easier to compile a alphabetical list of all main cities. Which it is sadly not automatically.
    Don’t get me wrong, never having changes is bad, but some things I do not understand.

I also discovered an addition to the Main City portal list that I personally cannot understand… Namely “Settlement: Lower Bridgeview”. This is a passthrough town as far as I know on your way from Kion to Sslanis/Bristugo with only a few small plots and otherwise nothing to offer.

However some things strike me as odd and maybe Devs or other players can enlighten me about the purpose.
    - Why are the portal lists not automatically on alphabetical order? (minor issue)
    - Why has Lower Bridgeview been added to the system? To aid in the attunement for new players?
    - Why do Dralk and Chiconis have Drakul, but not Kir’ignat in the portal list?
    - Why does Settlement: Last Stand have a long list of guild communities including Kir’ignat, but not a portal hub like Bristugo?

While Last Stand is the easiest portal if you need Marble it requires an additional portal from Last Stand to Clearport to finally get to Bristugo. For people with portals taking ages this is quite annoying unless you want them to back to Aughundell.

While Drakul and Kir’ignat are Dragon only locations it also strikes me as odd why Dralk and Chiconis are not on the Kir’ignat portal list, but as long as it has Bristugo you won’t hear me complaining too hard about it.

Can anyone enlighten me about some of the logic for the new portal system?
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Default Re: Changed Portal systems

1. It's not finished

2. There are more changes on Blight

3. Given the complexity of the existing system trying to realign the portal system is going to make things easier for some jumps, however for other jumps its going to make it more difficult. For example the guild portals get realigned, but, at the expense of the existing links between the guild portals and settlements.

I suppose its a 'you can't please everyone' and a '30+ destinations on one teleporter is too many'.

We gain some advantages, but depending on which portals we normally use, we may find a 1 jump turn into a 2 jump.

How do you make a portal system that everyone can agree with?
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

*cough* I seriously dont hope they patch it to Live what's on Blight. The positioning of the portals in Bristugo is a killer already and also having 2 portals in every racial town..

Are they turning easy mode on? Because in that case you can just increase exp by 500% and let players start with 1G as they create a character.
    Dakoren Ironhand - Multiclassed Half-Giant
    Krondel Bloodclaw - Ancient Dragon

Only one thing really bothered me in the past and still wonder about this in the present is that not all portals lead to a hub. Biggest example would be Last Stand considering it is close to the Marble (and its never-ending supply of golems). The Kir'ignat pad from Mahagra, but not from Dralk or Chiconis is just something I find weird and wonder if it is intentional.

It has been a very long time since I logged my hatchling on blight so I am not sure how the new portal system works on that server, but other then these few examples nothing really bothered me.

I for one have been long enough in Istaria to know that I have to use the portal a few times before I reach my destination and made peace with that fact (I for one never use Abandoned Island in order to avoid the 400c I would normally have to pay for travelling) and when crafting that it costs me about 1s per usage due to my disk, however for those that don't have computers that run very good I would hope to keep the whole portal travel to max 2 and not 3 like the example Last Stand - Clearport - Bristugo - "insert any settlement or non-guild town". Not even sure if there are more towns like Last Stand’s portal annoyance.
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

the new portal systems (those on Blight included) make a lot of sense to me.
    Especially for new/not so experienced players.

And I see no "easy-mod" in this.
    Is it a real challenge to find the right porters to a single destination, spend coin and do laundry while porting?
    you need to be an old, patient Istarian to praise the fascination of that.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

1) The sorting is fixed with a new file that has been uploaded to Blight but is not yet on Live. Destinations sort alphabetically once you have this corrected file.

2) Lower Bridgeview existed previously as a destination, but it was mis-classified and could only be reached by a very short list of gates. It is now part of the "Settlements" group just like every other settlement.

3) Kir'Ignat is a Guild Community, and so is on the same list as every other guild community. You can get to every major city (which includes Chiconis and Dralk), and likewise from those cities you can get back to Kir'Ignat via the new "second gate".

4) The portal in Last Stand takes you to Bristugo as well as all major cities. Last Stand is a Settlement, whereas Clearport is a Guild Community. Yes, you must go through a hub in order to go from any settlement to a guild community.

I think that addresses everything mentioned above, but if there are specific locations/portals/gates where something seems "off", please let us know, as they are probably bugs that need to be worked out.

Considering my Blight character is way to small to check the various locations I am interested in on Chaos mostly reaching Bristugo from Last Stand I will trust your word I will be anxious to see the complete change go live. Thank you for the reply.

I know all I wish to know the thread can be closed.

I for one dont have any complants and am loving the new portal system. It makes binding on your plot or guild town way more viable.
    Nothing But Love! That's what makes Dragons Fly!

Agreed! I love it, absolutely wonderful.
    For anyone thinking it might be "easy-mode"... Porting SHOULD be easy.
    Why on earth should it be difficult.?

It took me about 2min to work out the new system and its unform across the board which is definately the biggest winner in my eyes.

THANK YOU!
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Although I did like being able to port from Settlement to GC in certain settlements (not all had this feature) overall I'm not unhappy with the new portalling system. I did notice that there are 2 ports to Islands of ice & fire in Bristugo, but it really doesn't detract from anything, other than perhaps consistency.

I haven't checked to see if they've added portals out, but a few more outbound portals in Shepherd Mountain wouldn't be objectionable <hint hint>.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

Quote Originally Posted by Creme View Post
    Although I did like being able to port from Settlement to GC in certain settlements (not all had this feature) overall I'm not unhappy with the new portalling system. I did notice that there are 2 ports to Islands of ice & fire in Bristugo, but it really doesn't detract from anything, other than perhaps consistency.

I haven't checked to see if they've added portals out, but a few more outbound portals in Shepherd Mountain wouldn't be objectionable <hint hint>.
    Add to the "hint" a portal for a Guild Town or two as well.

Knossos

Quote Originally Posted by Knossos
    Add to the "hint" a portal for a Guild Town or two as well.

Knossos
    Agreed, there are a few that are rather distant from an outbound portal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

Quote Originally Posted by Creme View Post
    Agreed, there are a few that are rather distant from an outbound portal.

I can back that up too.
    Nothing But Love! That's what makes Dragons Fly!

Do you have suggestions for spots that could use an outbound portal? I just hear people saying "there's some communities rather far" without giving the devs a list of such communities...

I don't think every community needs one. Plot pricing was, at least at one point, based on how far you are from an inbound and outbound portal, so cheaper plots were those with a bit more of a run.
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakleif View Post
    Do you have suggestions for spots that could use an outbound portal? I just hear people saying "there's some communities rather far" without giving the devs a list of such communities...

I don't think every community needs one. Plot pricing was, at least at one point, based on how far you are from an inbound and outbound portal, so cheaper plots were those with a bit more of a run.
    I would start the "Portal at Community Wish List" with the Guild Community at Carmo. This Guild Town on Order Shard has some 15 developed plots, six of these have 1 or more T6 structure. Public accomodations include a large Tavern T6 Pawn Broker, a full set of Expert Workshops with 10 Public silos of size T4/T5, A large Gambling Den, three Vaults and 2 Maze plots.

The Nearest Portal is 1200m from the Carmo arrival pad and there is plenty of space near the Carmo arrival pad to place a "Feladan Style" outbound Portal (Promised long ago by David Bowman) to match the current "Feladan Style" arrival pad which was placed long after considerable construction had taken place at Carmo on Order Shard.

Perhaps there will be other player support for a Carmo Portal. I would encourage any player on Order Shard who has not visited Carmo to make a point of doing so.

Knossos

Adding one to Carmo.

On Shepherd's Mountain, there are currently seven outgoing portals. Thinking I see a gap for one more, perhaps at Crystal?
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you Amon!!!

Knossos

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Adding one to Carmo.

On Shepherd's Mountain, there are currently seven outgoing portals. Thinking I see a gap for one more, perhaps at Crystal?
    oh yes, please put one at crystal (or north crystal), on blight they are big areas for crafters, but with no close outgoing portal, and I think it's the same for the live shards

Yeah! and maybe a port in Grace, or middle cliffside? There`s quite a few active plots out there, including my own

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing_Duck View Post
    Yeah! and maybe a port in Grace, or middle cliffside? There`s quite a few active plots out there, including my own
    Middle Cliffside seems reasonable. Or better yet, Himeji.

Grace is right up the hill from the portal at Fairweather so that seems unneeded to me.
    Last edited by AmonGwareth; June 2nd, 2011 at 07:22 PM.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Thread Information