Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crimson Dawn Website

Default Crimson Dawn Website

Ok I just want to know what's realy up here. I'm not in the guild or anything but it's the best website to get game info for Istaria.

They will not or have had gaga orders on them I dont know witch. So they can not or will not tell us.

That leaves you guys here from Istaria to spill the info.

I mean I have never seen anything harmfull to Istaria if anything there majorly sub supporting you with there webpages and data base. It's great to have that kind of online help for new players and old.

So why take them to court for what?
    Nothing But Love! That's what makes Dragons Fly!

Default Re: Crimson Dawn Website

Seems to be the other way around, it seems as though they are threatening VI with a lawsuit, as well as implying they are criminals, which is a bit hard to believe, unless it's laws in countries other than the U.S.

Besides, I very much doubt VI would respond, as customer service issues are not allowed to be discussed on the forums. I'm sure there are plenty of cases they wish they *could* reveal details, but refrain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

You could be right. I guess I just read this wrong way.
    Last edited by Velea; May 29th, 2011 at 01:14 AM.
    Nothing But Love! That's what makes Dragons Fly!

just want to point out Me or other CD members dont know the full scope of whats going on please stop asking us in game what is up with the website. even if Me or other CD members knew the full detail this is a private matter.

Question Re: Crimson Dawn Website

Could Darkwing Duck and me get the RP guide we wrote back please? the one which was on Manual.

We are very sorry that the person who maintained the Crimson Dawn website has decided to close it. We will not discuss the circumstances behind this person's decision. Doing so would be a violation of our own Code of Conduct as well as the rules posted on this forum, and disrespectful toward those involved.

We recognize the valuable reference site and have made contact with the person who wrote some of the guides that were hosted on Crimson Dawn (Oakleif), and have begun work to bring the data-related information that was hosted there to you in a manner that is clear and easy to follow. Should anyone else have guides they have written that they would like to have reviewed for hosting as part of the Player Reference site, please contact us via the support system. Once we have a firm date for a Player Reference site is available, we'll be sure to let you all know. In the mean time, I'd like to suggest http://istaria.wikia.com/ as a source of information.

Please be aware Amarie that all guides and that were/are on the Crimson Dawn website are copyright Crimson Dawn (unless otherwise stated).

Virtirum will need to ask for written permission from one of the web masters of Crimson Dawn, before they rehost any content from the site which is not attributed to another author.

Lungtien I will give you a copy of your webpage shortly.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Chasing,

I would normally take care of this via PMs, but as you posted the copyright claim here, I am going to respond here as well.

I am not certain which specific guides you are attempting to claim as copyrighted by Crimson Dawn, and I know that only some of the guides posted there are ones I authored; however, I just want to clarify that some of those guides are my Intellectual Property.

The guides that I have written (authored Oakleif and originally posted on GamersInfo.net either under that name or with no authorship credited) are still my Intellectual Property, with or without a copyright attribution by myself, by GI.n, or (incorrectly) by Crimson Dawn. I had allowed Ophelea to post these on her GI.n Horizons website, while still maintaining my IP rights.

When Crimson Dawn posted these on their website, I still, by law, maintain my IP. My wife contacted Dakoren and then you, Chasing, on my behalf requesting that you restore the original attribution tags when you lifted the guides from GI.n. So that the guides would continue to have a visible location as the GI.n site was becoming less relevant, we implicitly allowed CD to host our IP via making that request, but also implicitly asserted our IP claim.

However, as the Crimson Dawn site is no longer making that information available, and as Virtrium has requested permission to repost updated versions, we are within our rights as the owners of that IP to give Virtrium (or any other site) that permission, regardless of whether the webmaster for the CD website incorrectly claimed copyright or not.

I'd really rather not let this get acrimonious, but I AM going to allow my IP to be posted on the Virtrium site.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

I think Oakleif is right. In the RP guide's case, I'd rather say that this guide is copyrighted by Darkwing Duck and me, as the authors of this guide.

Mmm, really sorry to hear about all this. I'm curious if anybody will raise to replace such a great database any time soon, especially with the cited reasons overshadowing such an effort. This is the 2nd time I've heard of something like this happening.

It was nice that it had multiple people contributing to it that could be recognized for their efforts (unlike a wiki). I just hope that whatever resulted in this outcome was really worth it for those involved.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

The guides are like I said copyrighted by Crimson Dawn with the exception of guides posted on our website by other authors such as LungTein Temeraire and Darkwing Duck have made their RolePlaying guide. They hold the copyright for that guide and not Crimson Dawn, nor is Crimson Dawn responsible for the re-distribution of any guide or responsible for any content in the guides it publishes.

The guide of LungTien and Darkwing is just an example as we've posted many more guides as we love to support the game and its community like we've always done either in game or out game.

As for Oaklief claiming we have published guides on our website that are his property or are copyrighted by him that statement is also false. We had before (notice: past tense) around the time we started publishing it about 1.5 years ago. Then as I was contacted by Velea I have removed the guides that were created by Oakleif and have been confirmed to be created by Oakleif. There were also a few guides that have been a discussion about as to who is the original copyright holder but those have been replaced by guides I have made myself.

Please note that the guides have been used as an example. This applies to any content Crimson Dawn has/is providing.

If anyone likes to repost and/or rehost any content of Crimson Dawn you are advised to contact their webmasters before publishing anything, this to avoid any issues in the progress.
    Last edited by Velea; September 29th, 2011 at 06:17 PM.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Akrion, note that Amarie stated:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amarie Ancalimon View Post
    We recognize the valuable reference site... and have begun work to bring the data-related information that was hosted there to you in a manner that is clear and easy to follow. Should anyone else have guides they have written that they would like to have reviewed for hosting as part of the Player Reference site, please contact us via the support system. Once we have a firm date for a Player Reference site is available, we'll be sure to let you all know.
    So it appears that they are working on an official database-type site.
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

Chasing,

It sounded from your first post like you were claiming copyright over the guides Amarie asked me permission to publish, hence my post. As you are not claiming copyright over any of the guides that I have IP for, we have no issues. Apologies for any misunderstanding from your original post in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakleif View Post
    Akrion, note that Amarie stated:

So it appears that they are working on an official database-type site.
    Unfortunately past experience for me suggests officially run database sites as being hit and miss.

Will the Devs provide all information, or screen all information they are provided? Do they have time to do it and keep things up to date or will it just be kept up to date for a while and then fall behind? If players provide content, how are they credited? Are they allowed to retain rights to it or will they have to sign their ownership over to Virtrium (like with masks)?

These are all problems with officially run databases, and for a small company like Virtrium to maintain it? Makes me unsure.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

If I was VI I'd be more worried about what this means to the rather substantial CD sub base, than about getting their own site up to support the game. They constantly claim they don't have enough staff or time and that is why the game isn't developed properly or tested right. How do they have time for this? This all seems very ill-conceived to me.

I don't know about the CD situation, but VI has been very clear/good about working issues with me. If someone were to threaten me with a lawsuit, I'd want to find some other way to deal with the situation. Setting up their own site, where there is no question over copyright, is one way they can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    Setting up their own site, where there is no question over copyright, is one way they can do that.
    I can say with almost complete certainty that it will struggle to keep up with what CD managed if that were the case. I would be blown out of the water if VI managed to keep their own Database with as much information and as frequently up to date that CD managed. Otherwise, to me, I see it running the course of the Istaria Wiki or GameArchives-whatever website that used to be the primary database for which VI actually paid to keep running.

You forget that VI already has a database of everything in the game. It's a matter of figuring out what to display, how to display it, then writing the appropriate connecting scripts to keep everything in sync.

It might take awhile to build, but once it's done, it's done.

IIRC there used to be such a mechanism with GI.n, so there's probably stuff lying around with 1/4 of the work already done.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    You forget that VI already has a database of everything in the game. It's a matter of figuring out what to display, how to display it, then writing the appropriate connecting scripts to keep everything in sync.

It might take awhile to build, but once it's done, it's done.
    Yet never has this fact been taken advantage of in the 8 years Istaria has been running for.

It will never replace what CD provided. The general RP guide that LungTien and Darkwing worked on, for example. A lot of us put input into that, and CD was a place people would be sure to come across it, and I'm sure LungTien and Darkwing would prefer to retain some form of ownership to it. Player customization hosting, alike what was offered for my auto chatlog backup. There are way more factors in this than simple item information.

On the subject of the RP guide, I sent LungTien a PM on this forum earlier (I just need an email address that I can send the web page to).
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Thread Information