Thread: Dear Internet

Default Dear Internet

Dear denizens of the internet,
    Look, it's been twenty years. I know it took awhile for everything to shake out, but the internet is old enough to start its own family now. You no longer have any excuse for thinking the following are acceptable:
    • glittering text
    • unusually-colored text
    • signatures the size of a page
    • signatures the size of a page using unusually-colored, glittering text

I am hereby outlawing these abusive forum practices. Violators will be subjected to a two-hour montage of MySpace pages designed by 12 year old girls. Repeated violations will result in losing all formatting, signature, and avatar options on all forums, everywhere, forever.
    Thickle

PS. There is a crop tool in every single imaging program that exists. Learn it. Live it. Love it.

(This forum is hardly the worst offender, and I'm to blame myself sometimes, but when I looked through a thread and found several examples where the posted message was 1/12th the size of the user's signature... arrrrrgngngngngngngngh. WHY SO WASTEFUL, INTERNET?)

Default Re: Dear Internet

http://adblockplus.org/en/ <3

I use it on every website I go to. Glittery text? Banned. (blocked) Those stupid flashy gifs that emulate a strobe light? Banned. (blocked) Any moving GIF avatar that moves faster than a natural pace so is a distraction to the post? Banned. (blocked) Someone decides to use a near wallpaper sized image as their sig? B-b-b-banned!

It's like being in control of the entire internet.

Until I use the laptop and I have to re-enter everything I did since I was last on it.

yes these large sigs are a real pain now especially when browsing with a smart phone. when i was a mod here i made sure to keep up on outrages sig violations

Irony...

I senses it.

<_<

>_>

Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

English is a language. It is 'you', not u, and l33tsp33k is not cool. You had english in school for a reason. Just because you are on a keyboard does not mean grammar, spelling, and all those good rules of politeness do not apply.

yes mods use to catch oversized siggy, I know I got an email to correct mine that was only slightly bigger than the advised size.

They've clearly dropped off that duty as I've noticed siggies getting pretty big around here.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDragoon View Post
    English is a language. It is 'you', not u, and l33tsp33k is not cool. You had english in school for a reason. Just because you are on a keyboard does not mean grammar, spelling, and all those good rules of politeness do not apply.
    Thank AoL for that.

People got used to "AIM Speak" and now they use it everywhere, especially now that you have phones and texting. Some phones still don't have full keyboards and nobody wants to mash buttons to spell full words out, so the problem is only getting worse.

Problem is, they're still used to doing that even when they sit down in front of an actual computer keyboard, and a lot of people think it is OK to talk like that on Forums/games/etc.

blah.

A good example of how technology is taking people one step backward instead of forward.

It seems that anymore, young kids' communication skills are absolutely horrible, both Spoken -and- written.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    Thank AoL for that.
    The origins of chatspeak goes even further back. L33t Sp34k had the same useful purpose it still has today. Their use in passwords. 3 being related to E, 5 to S, }{ to H, etc. all initially came from just making stronger passwords.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Akrion View Post
    The origins of chatspeak goes even further back. L33t Sp34k had the same useful purpose it still has today. Their use in passwords. 3 being related to E, 5 to S, }{ to H, etc. all initially came from just making stronger passwords.
    Yes, but AoL and AIM popularized it.

You had the odd geek here and there substituting 3s, 5s, and brackets for letters, but this was hardly widespread or common usage.

Then AIM came out, and people were looking for ways to type faster, so it started becoming a lot more wide-spread, esp. when younger/more lazy people started using AoL/AIM, and then the final nail in Typed English's coffin was earlier cellphones capable of text messaging, where people got even more lazy, though I can kinda understand -- trying to type out something using only 10 keys sucks.

Thread Information