Thread: Help for New Miners - make ore nodes more obvious

Default Help for New Miners - make ore nodes more obvious

This is a "lead the new players by the nose" suggestion - but I've anwered four different new players in one week RE how to mine. When they go into the mine on New Tris for their first mining/smelting quest, new players are trying to click on the rocks near the entrance rather than the ore nodes further in.

Is it possible to either remove the "rock" objects at the entrance to the mine, or make the ore nodes "sparkly" or something distinctive? Just needs to be the T1 ore nodes, after that people should be OK...
    Want to know more? Visit the Istaria Wiki!

Default Re: Help for New Miners - make ore nodes more obvious

There's a mod that adds floating names to resources.. maybe something like that would help if it were officially implemented?

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Quote Originally Posted by StalePopcorn View Post
    This is a "lead the new players by the nose" suggestion - but I've anwered four different new players in one week RE how to mine. When they go into the mine on New Tris for their first mining/smelting quest, new players are trying to click on the rocks near the entrance rather than the ore nodes further in.

Is it possible to either remove the "rock" objects at the entrance to the mine, or make the ore nodes "sparkly" or something distinctive? Just needs to be the T1 ore nodes, after that people should be OK...
    If the players are looking in the gem mine for copper/tin ore, they're in the wrong place anyway... they need to be up on the hill near the smelter, and the ore nodes do have bronzey-coloured streaking through them?
    - Kesqui - Formerly of Ice, now of Chaos, lair in Liak
    First Rebirth 12-12-2003 / Ascended to Ancient 12-12-2010

anything that helps new players has to be done.
    I think we all still underestimate the probs new players have when they start
    with the game.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

I do think implementing the named resource nodes as an official thing - maybe as something that can be switched on and off in the Options menu - would be a good idea. I use it myself.

But there's a bigger problem than "can't identify nodes" if the quest text for mining/smelting suggests that a player should go to the gem mine to mine copper/tin ore. Is this the case? As a dragon, I can't test this for bipeds, but I know that the dragon trainer gives correct directions to the copper and tin ore.

New Trismus? There are quests on Spirit Isle that directly teach you how to locate, click on, and gather from ore nodes.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Yes, I know there are Spirit Isle quests. But we're talking about n00bs here

(No disrespect intended - we were all there once lol)

There is a lot to learn, it just happens I've seen that question come up in the New Player chat a lot over the last couple of days. Could even be the gems quest they are talking about... that's in the cave south of New Tris isn't it? It seems to be that new players can't yet tell the difference between "rocks" and nodes. Just a thought.

Only way to really avoid that, then, is to restrict access to the portal until a new toon has completed all of the available quests on the tutorial islands (of course, taking schools they may have no interest in and maybe not clarifying how they change back to the school they wanted) and only provide Attunement: New Trismus once they've done all of it.

Would irritate existing players with new toons, though...

Other than a 2-day dabble with the free human player, just to get a quick sense of Istaria, I'm as much a hatchie as Tullamore, and I must agree with LOVWYRM. There's a *huge* amount of information for the new player to absorb; most of it is very clearly presented, or, can be fairly quickly figured out. Some, though, leaves the noob (me) scratching their head. I'm not afraid to ask the "stupid question" either in New Player or Dragon channel, and I've received *nothing* but great help from all over.

It is easy, though, to forget what a steep learning curve this game has (or, any other complex activity); I worked as a technical writer in the past, and, one always has to remember that they're writing for someone who has absolutely *no* knowledge of the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    anything that helps new players has to be done.
    I think we all still underestimate the probs new players have when they start
    with the game.
    Always speak politely to an enraged dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    There's a mod that adds floating names to resources.. maybe something like that would help if it were officially implemented?
    What is that mod BTW? Sounds interesting

I agree that the game should be made as easy as possible. However in the hopes that this does not sound too harsh... Tutorial quests have been created for a reason and should not be ignored.

What is that mod BTW? Sounds interesting
    Try This thread first post. Took me a while to find considering the search option didn't work as I intended it to work, but I found it in the end.
    Use the link in the line of "To install:".
    This would be perfect as on/off option ingame instead of a mod.
    Last edited by Dragonboy; June 27th, 2011 at 12:56 PM.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

The floating name mod on resorces helps, however, you kinda need to get close to see the names, it suffers from the same thing when it comes to mobs and even characters, can the view radius be altered a bit to see the names a bit further than what we currently have.

That mod is a godsend when there are a few types of nodes in the same area. This should be implemented in game , gems are noticable by color, but by the nines, ore can be hard to distinguish.

Yes, the tutorial quests were created to help explain the game. But what if the new adventurer pops off to level cleric to 30? Then they decide to give mining a try... that could be weeks later. Now, what do those pesky nodes look like again?

There is soooooooooo much you can do in-game: quests, adventurer, craft, build.. heck even fly lol. It's easy to get lost! It's just an idea to get players past that: "ohhhh I see it now - thanks!" moment as quickly as possible. It would be easier to explain to new players "does it have a floaty-name above it? no? then keep looking"

Thread Information