Thread: system resources

Default system resources

Ok I'll admit I'm a geek with duel monitors. Generally I keep the task manager open on my 2nd monitor so I can watch what my pc is doing.

Is it just me or does this game only ever use 2 gig of ram?
    Is it just me or does this game only use 1/10 of 1% of my bandwidth?

I understand that this is an old game but I'm willing to bet a large amount of lag would mysteriously disappear if the client could use more ram and bandwidth

Example 5-10 minute log in times after clearing world cache.
    While watching network usage it spikes to a whooping 20kbps?

Is there any plans to address these issues?
    Are we ever gonna see a client that's not stuck in the early 90's technology wise?

Default Re: system resources

Quote Originally Posted by jaycinth dragonfriend View Post

Example 5-10 minute log in times after clearing world cache.
    While watching network usage it spikes to a whooping 20kbps?
    I am nowhere close to a computer geek, computer illiterate is a closer description for me. But I can tell you clearing world cache does increase your load times.

That is something you should only be doing if you ran into a problem of some kind. Like a major terrain patch like we had with the t2 revamp. Game not loading properly due to some file corruption (only sky). About to make a bug report for something not appearing correctly to make sure the trouble isn't on your end. But for whatever reason you cleared it, you can expect some long load times while cache is rebuilding.

You might want to check your launcher setting if you have full scan checked. That will make for longer login times and really isn't needed unless you are having trouble with something.

*Dives back into the woodwork before the real geeks show up.*

Dracaena Starfyre

Is it just me or does this game only ever use 2 gig of ram?
    It heavily uses page file instead of RAM (and when I hit 2GB page file usage my client dies, suggests 32 bit coding). No way to force the client to use RAM without recoding it

Is it just me or does this game only use 1/10 of 1% of my bandwidth?
    Yep, the UDP downstream from the server is not as quick as it could be. As long as the client could cope with an increase in traffic (which I beleive it can), then the UDP transmission rate could well be increased with an immediate benefit (excluding costs of bandwidth, server coding limitations etc.)
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing View Post
    Yep, the UDP downstream from the server is not as quick as it could be. As long as the client could cope with an increase in traffic (which I beleive it can), then the UDP transmission rate could well be increased with an immediate benefit (excluding costs of bandwidth, server coding limitations etc.)
    Is that why it takes monsters 3-4 minutes to fully spawn when I walk into a new area. It's like hey its barren out here then BAM 50 mobs ontop of you

Is that why it takes monsters 3-4 minutes to fully spawn when I walk into a new area. It's like hey its barren out here then BAM 50 mobs ontop of you
    No thats a deliberate limitation with the spawn daemons on the server. There is a minimum spawn amount and then a maximum spawn amount and then a period of time between the min and max spawn. Add to that as well that if no one has been into a sector for a while, then the sector may need to 'wake up' which adds even move time to the spawns. Again this is legacy functionality due to 32 bit memory and page file restrictions.

Jaycinth, you need to understand this is an old game with old hardware/software, there isnt millions of dollars of money to be invested into it. They have to make the best of what they have.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

This game is not THAT old by mmo standards

Its the same age as all the other 2nd gen mmo's such as

Anarchy online
    Ryzome Saga of the ring
    Eve online ... ect

I'm just curious if there is ever gonna be any more technical development on the game vs new plot structures and loot revamps

There is plenty of technical development going on. Its just that content/art development is far more visible. On the technical side some of the big things in development are a new launcher, a lot of account system upgrades, improved terrain handling/occlusion, etc. Technically changes/features are actually slower to reach live and often less flashy/visible than content or art because of their very nature.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Are you guys still looking for testers?

I saw the thread about it but its a bit old so I thought I'd ask

Thread Information