Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my first maps, a try

Smile my first maps, a try

Hey everyone

In the last days I wandered some around and.. well I tried to make some maps.. here is what I've done so far

Istaria
    Dralnok's Doom, The Rift, Istaria, Spirit Isle (and Training Islands), Isle of Battles, Skalkaar, New Trismus, New Brommel, New Vassarak and New Koraelia shown on their coordinates in the great big world (first two and Isle of Battles missing pics, haven't updated that yet. It's a pain to get a picture of a big spreadsheet in OpenOffice).
    Information: the ground z-axis (will refer to this as height) for most of the places is at 502 at the bottom of the sea. my max flying height is 1800. Thats the same height for ground of the Rift. Pad in the Rift is at heigh of 2100. And Dralnok's Doom is even placed at 2900.

Isle of Battles
    i'd say a very accurate map of the Isle of Battles

Dralnok's Doom
    i'd say a very accurate map of the caves of Dralnok's Doom

Default Re: my first maps, a try

The Rift
    my own map of the rift

Balits Island
    well... his island

Nice work.
    It could be used for custom maps with better quality than the official one.
    Firebrandcrest Arma: Ancient Helian Dragon | Dragon 100 / Dragon Crafter 100 / Dragon Lairshaper 100 / Dragon Crystalshaper 100 (Order) | My MODs: Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack v2.5.4.0, Alternate Dragon Bolt Casting v1.4, Old Istarian Ambiance v1.0.8.

Greetings,

I'm curious to see how it is you made these...

*is happy that someone likes them*
    well i could keep it for myself how i done them but.. as i know that others will be better at this than me...

all i do is taking the map-parts out of the worldcache-folder in the horizons-folder. each tile has 128x128 pixels. you can imagine its quiet a puzzling adventure there. (example: Isle of Battles is 3840x3840 pixels, so it was a 30x30 tiles puzzle. gladly the most of it where just ground of the ocean)

How do you go about adding one of those to the resource override files? I'm trying to get Dralnoks. I've created a folder named Dralnoks Doom with a sub-folder named terrain, and placed a jpeg version of the map in there (since all other maps are jpegs). All I get is a black map when in DD.
    I never met a gnome I didn't like. For tender morsels they are!

thanks kitty.. *was just about to drop his flying around when there are already "better" things from others out there and nobody needs my maps*

D'oh, you should just first create stuff because you enjoy creating them. People liking/needing them is a different matter.
    Firebrandcrest Arma: Ancient Helian Dragon | Dragon 100 / Dragon Crafter 100 / Dragon Lairshaper 100 / Dragon Crystalshaper 100 (Order) | My MODs: Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack v2.5.4.0, Alternate Dragon Bolt Casting v1.4, Old Istarian Ambiance v1.0.8.

a dev? *blinks and looks to Frosthide* oh...

thank you for your cheering words *smiles* really can need this

Skalkaar
    finally got it finished. Too bad you cannot see what I hoped it would be there. The empty black land south of Skalkaar. Still strange markings on the seaground hm? and its much darker than the actual map ingame

*would edit his last post, but cannot...* I updated my Isle of Battles-Map which should be more accurate now (or.. just accurate). all i changed was not filling the ocean ground which is 75% of the image but puzzling together the actual tiles of it *will let the "old" one here for a moment*

These are awesome I remember trying to put the puzzle pieces of DD together when it first came out. Alas, I was not patient enough and got too frustrated.

I especially like your world map Looks like there's room for an eastern Aradoth

Ya a large large amount of empty space but any who. But looks fine to me. I wanna cookie now :P

phew... thats the biggest so far... 3800 pieces (40 in height, 95 in width)

Spirit Isle + Old Tutorial Islands (12160px5120p, 6786kb)

btw here are the real corners of the Istaria-map ingame. World just ends there

New Trismus, New Vassarak, New Brommel and New Koraelia (together with some water) (10240px7680p, 13345kb)
    no, I didn't made a mistake. there seems to be a misplaced map heh... the first column from the bigger part should be the last to the right.

Smile Re: my first maps, a try

for now this seems to be the "end". now i have made the following maps *collects them all in this thread* (better download them, too big images aren't shown in browser / browser means the file is damaged):

Balit's Island
    651.274 Bytes, 1024x1280 Pixel

Dralnok's Doom
    1.629.349 Bytes, 2560x2560 Pixel

Isle of Battles
    1.380.939 Bytes, 3840x3840 Pixel

New Trismus, New Brommel, New Vassarak, New Koraelia
    16.484.368 Bytes, 10240x7680 Pixel

Rift
    1.358.010 Bytes, 2560x1280 Pixel

Skalkaar
    1.606.081 Bytes, 3200x3200 Pixel

Spirit Isle + Old Tutorial Islands
    6.918.695 Bytes, 12160x5120 Pixel

Istaria (yes, Istaria, the main continent. This were (with the transparent fillers I made) 51300 map pieces)
    262.260.550 Bytes, 23040x36480 Pixel

all maps are optimized with PNGout and PNGcrush (all but Istaria. it was too big for PNGout and only is optimized with PNGcrush).

unfortunately the Istaria-map is too big for my computer to open. Otherwise i'd tried to paint the real borders (where the world ends and you're recalled) into it. But I prepared a UIMapMarkers.zip-file where the border is marked on the map (with maaany markers). Just paste the part with the marks it into your UIMapMarkers.def or if you don't have any own markers just copy my into your prefs-folder.

as I don't know the ways to put them into a working way into the game... feel free to use them but a small note about the creator (me) would be nice

some small previews of how the big files will look then (the two files (New Islands and Istaria) with black spaces has transparency in there in the PNG. these here are just jpgs. all are scaled down to 800 pixels on the long side)

Balit's Island

Dralnok's Doom

Isle of Battles

New Trismus, New Brommel, New Vassarak, New Koraelia

Rift

Skalkaar

Spirit Isle + Old Tutorial Islands

Istaria

Real World Size with markers from my marker-file (shown on the current ingame map):

The 20kx30k Istaria map took 3 minutes to download (VDSL25M @ 2.7 Mbyte/s) and about 4 to 5 minutes to open with GIMP on a 3.2GHz quad core computer with 4GB DDR3-1333 RAM. Unfortunately though, GIMP freezed after file opening completed Maybe i need more tile cache

EDIT: Impossible to open because this file generates more than 2 GB of imagery data (20k x 30k x 32 = 2.28 GB (19.2 GBit)) which is more than Win32 applications can handle.
    Last edited by Ettanin; November 29th, 2011 at 04:26 PM.

Thread Information