Thread: v-sync and anti aliasing

Default v-sync and anti aliasing

any chance of seeing these features?

when running at high resolution the "stair stepping" on structures is very very noticeable

Default Re: v-sync and anti aliasing

I don't see how v-sync would help with visuals, unless you're using a fairly old monitor. All v-sync does is restrict maximum FPS to the refresh rate of the monitor to help prevent screen tearing in monitors that display line by line, such as CRT monitors. LCD (And I believe LED) monitors display the entire screen at once, so v-sync isn't even needed with them.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Default Re: v-sync and anti aliasing

Does your video driver configuration have an option to force these settings on? I know Nvidia drivers do.

As for v-sync, the setting prevents the display card from page-flipping while the raster scan is in the visible area of the monitor. Disabling this feature does increase your frame rate, but will cause tearing artifacts caused by the display of a portion of the previous frame (somewhere near the top half of the visible area) and a portion of the current frame (somewhere near the bottom half of the visible area). This will happen with all monitor/card configurations using analog signals and some ones using digital signals.

Note that LCDs have a slow response time, so rapid changes will blur together. This will help hide tearing, but it will also blur moving objects -- something that v-sync can't fix.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Thread Information