Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk to the Team: Sorcerer

Default Talk to the Team: Sorcerer

So, I was reading OLD (2004-2005) suggestion threads just to see what was being suggested post-merge and I came across a good thread about Mind spells and Sorcerer. It got me intrigued so I jotted down the suggestions and then I wanted to post here and get your feedback and ideas.

That original thread called for one new additional technique: Mind Range. But, I think you'd also need Mind Damage.

It also called for a number of new abilities and spells. Some of which were:

Mind Wrack
    Mind Damage, DoT
    % chance of short stun

Mind Lock
    Stun, varying length (short to long)
    Ablative (damage breaks it)

Psychic Shockwave
    Mind Damage, AoE
    % chance of short stun

Blindness
    Lowers target's range by an amount for a duration

Mind Lasher
    Mind Damage
    Chance to apply a debuff that causes future mind spells to do extra damage

Reduce Will
    Debuff, damage does not break
    Chance to increase (make worse) recycle of abilities

Confusion
    Debuff, damage does not break
    Chance to increase delay (make worse) delay of abilities

So, given the above I also wanted to get your thoughts and feedback and suggestions regarding the Sorcerer school.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Default Re: Talk to the Team: Sorcerer

This actually exciting to see. I play a sorcerer and really, they are not entirely different than a standard mage in most cases. These abilities would actually make the sorcerer DIFFERENT and a worth while path to go down!
    "State your case, but do it well. I do not suffer fools gladly." ~Sereamha Balla-dor

Adding these would definitely put sorcerer on the more offensive side of the classes. I approve.
    ^.^ *Speed Demon of order..*

This is good to see, i LOVE sorcerer class.

One thing thats also needed for mind skill, is mind bolt. Like there are energy and gflame bolt, we also need mind bolt, and maybe some other mind spells. And maybe a spell that makes the monster run away in fear?
    Abbie: 100 Sorcerer, 100 Wizard, 100 Conjurer, 100 Chaos Warrior

As for new Sorcerer Abilities, it would be of interest to those who are/will be multiclassed: Which of these (of those to be adopted) will be masterable when gained by Sorcerer at level 50 or below?

Knossos

Quote Originally Posted by Knossos View Post
    As for new Sorcerer Abilities, it would be of interest to those who are/will be multiclassed: Which of these (of those to be adopted) will be masterable when gained by Sorcerer at level 50 or below?

Knossos
    Didn't say any of them would be for sure. Just some ideas. Hence the post asking for suggestions, ideas, feedback.

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Overall I like this idea. I vaguely recall reading it when it
    was first posted.

I agree with Knossos, it would be nice to know which
    abilities/spells would be masterable and which Class-restricted.
    Sorcerer class should have something unique that makes you
    want to stay in that class and make groups desire your company.
    (Druid - COT, Bloodmage - Blood Bolt, Healer - Superior Rez, etc..)

Mind spells definitely need some combat help, Bolt is best
    idea. Can I suggest that Mind Bolt be class-restricted just
    like Blood Bolt is to Bloodmage??

This will give me some incentive to work on my Alt that I have
    planning to make Sorcerer his Main.

Just to have a little more variety in classes I think that SORC should have more dots and crowd control than other classes. Not having them all masterable of course so as to make them class specific. It may even encourage group play a little more with sorcs I think.

They currently have spellbind and area spellbind as some nice crowd control. They also have passive abilities that lower defense or something of the like. Could they have an area stun like clap of thunder but without the ridiculously long recycle of 10min.
    ^.^ *Speed Demon of order..*

Aura of Foreboding Doom? :D
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

OOOh! I'm very much liking these thoughts, Amon, I agree with some of the others, more mind damaging spells, like mind bolt and the like are much needed.

Most, if not all the current mind spells are debuffs and maybe a mez or two, but what good is mind skill... if you can't directly attack someone's mind with it? O-O;

I'm certainly in favor of some of these suggestions, as I have a Saris that is meant to be a powerful Sorceror (and she is... but the lack of mind spells hurts!)

Ri'ta'ra'thi Is'mi'nei: Season 100 ADV/100 CRA/100 BLK(former)/100 LSH/ 1.11 BILLION hoard
    Kytitia Pyrrithia: Unparalleled Rating 212 Saris Sorceror, Rating 234 Crafter

I really love the spell ideas. Sorc really does need more spells, and spell techs. And if there are new spells with techs... 1 more point of mind skill per level might be needed. Only 960 base at level 100 if I remember correctly.

Before anything totally new gets added, it could use a quick overhaul of what's already there though... some redundant spells and overlapping abilities need looking at.

Lessen Power vs. Stupidity
    Lessen Focus vs. Scatterbrain

The Lessen spells really belong to the mystic caster domain. Perhaps move the Lessen power/focus to the blight skill like the other Lessen spells? All four of those are classified as mind skill and I don't think it's needed.

Abilities:
    Disconcert (15% chance proc on mind dmg)
    1 min target debuff: 80% base focus and power, 20% delay. The stat reduction is a % of base, so it has odd stacking problems with the spells stupidity and scatterbrain (-115 power/focus reduction at tier 5). Remove the stat reduction and buff the delay a little? And naturally, more mind damage sources will help this ability tremendously.

Mystify (cast, 2 min cool down)
    80% dex and focus, 65% base speed. For a level 70 ability, this one seems weak. Sorcs have debase, which is a much better speed reduction. The dex/focus reduction is a little confusing. Shouldn't it be dex/str anyway? Focus is already debuffed by disconcert. I would totally revamp this one and incorporate one of your great ideas into this ability to bring it on par with the other level 70 abilities.

Also I love the ideas for the DoT, and the AoE spell.
    torvos: shadow to chaos shard

Good ideas. What about an epic mind damage spell?

Good suggestions on the Lessen spells. You are correct, they overlap so they aren't needed as mind spells.

Some additional ideas:

• Mind Bolt – (Active) Bolt spell similar to Blood Bolt, repeater (class-restricted)
    • Night Terrors – (Active) Epic single-target mind damage spell, % of mind DoT, and % of debuff that powers all core stats. (Uses Banshee effect)
    • Psionic Blast – (Class-Restricted) AoE damage spell
    Last edited by AmonGwareth; August 23rd, 2011 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Good suggestions on the Lessen spells. You are correct, they overlap so they aren't needed as mind spells.

Some additional ideas:

• Mind Bolt – (Active) Bolt spell similar to Blood Bolt, repeater (class-restricted)
    • Night Terrors – (Active) Epic single-target mind damage spell, % of mind DoT, and % of debuff that powers all core stats. (Uses Banshee effect)
    • Psionic Blast – (Class-Restricted) AoE damage spell (NOTE: Not available on live, add to the game)

Now where talking Amon :D

I know that the Banshee effect have been missed for years, so i claps my hands now :D

Any idea what kind of effect the mind bold might have?
    Abbie: 100 Sorcerer, 100 Wizard, 100 Conjurer, 100 Chaos Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Abbie View Post
    Now where talking Amon :D

I know that the Banshee effect have been missed for years, so i claps my hands now :D

Any idea what kind of effect the mind bold might have?
    Bolt. So, same as Flame or Energy Bolt. Straight damage.

I love the idea for mind bolt, LOVE it! If it is a repeater, would it be a craftable spell that could be teched?
    "State your case, but do it well. I do not suffer fools gladly." ~Sereamha Balla-dor

I haven't tried sorcerer yet. I like the idea of mind magic/psionics. One of the things that's been holding me back from training sorcerer right now is that their current spells, and such, aren't very mind oriented.

How about a "Focus Mind" stance, that increases To Hit/Damage by 10% (level 25), 20% (level 50), 30% (level 75) and 40% (level 100), but penalizes armor and evasion by 10%, 15 %, 20% & 25%?
    I never met a gnome I didn't like. For tender morsels they are!

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post

Some additional ideas:

• Psionic Blast – (Class-Restricted) AoE damage spell
    Name suggestion for night terrors: Nightmare? :D

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDragoon View Post
    Name suggestion for night terrors: Nightmare? :D
    Night Terrors are actually very severe nightmares.

I am loving the banshee effect idea.

Thread Information