Thread: Lair/Plot Planner

Default Lair/Plot Planner

I would love to be able to view the planner on another player's lair or plot.

Is there a reason why it is only visible to the plot owner? If not, could you please make them visible to all players. Thanks!
    Chaos: Delite, Delicat, Delectable, Delikit, Delish & Deetara~Blight: DeeDee

While I do purr over milk, give me a huge mug of flavored coffee, I'll be ecstatic!

Default Re: Lair/Plot Planner

Please: no !

"Originally Posted by Delite
    I would love to be able to view the planner on another player's lair or plot. ....."

Why?

How much "tinkering" would it take to make the planning tab visible for others, but not let anything be changed by an other?
    And to do that merely because someone may be curious as to what the plot owner is doing??

To be honest: I think the plot/lair window is fine as it is, and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Ramaj

I am not sure this would be useful for plots... you can kinda see it all anyway. However, for a lair I can see some merit in a "map" of a player's completed structures. But I don't see this happening any time soon/ever.
    SoG? Where? :-P

Alas gone are the days when this was easy to do.

i have been on plots trying to figure out where to place things where i would have *loved* to be able to see the plot map. five or more shops amidst dozens of silos - which piece of scaffolding do i need to click on??

My thought, especially for plots, was trying to find that ever elusive sweet spot to apply materials to the stone flooring. If you could see the planner, you would have a better idea of where materials need to be put! Many times the sweet spot is not anywhere close to the model on the plot.
    Chaos: Delite, Delicat, Delectable, Delikit, Delish & Deetara~Blight: DeeDee

While I do purr over milk, give me a huge mug of flavored coffee, I'll be ecstatic!

Quote Originally Posted by Delite View Post
    My thought, especially for plots, was trying to find that ever elusive sweet spot to apply materials to the stone flooring. If you could see the planner, you would have a better idea of where materials need to be put! Many times the sweet spot is not anywhere close to the model on the plot.
    The stone flooring "sweet spot" problem would be solved if, when selecting the unfinished flooring piece on the plot construction screen, the resulting "ray of light" was at the "sweet spot", rather than at the center of the unfinished flooring piece. Is it possible that the devs could mechanize such a change to the stone flooring pieces?

Knossos

Ah, I don't care so much to be able to view other player's planning screens; however, I would LOVE to be able to identify the location of murals so that I can find the one I want to delete/replace.

Currently I have multiple "old" murals that I wish to replace with the newer ones; however I can't determine which one I have selected for deletion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

Istaria is not Facebook or Google Streetview. That's why the Plot/Lair plans are visible owner only.

Quote Originally Posted by Ettanin View Post
    Istaria is not Facebook or Google Streetview. That's why the Plot/Lair plans are visible owner only.
    This is a non-argument. The plot/lair planner is probably visible to plot owners only simply because that was the easiest thing to do at the time, not because it was intended that Istaria not have maps of plot and lair layouts. Pretty sure Istaria was around before Facebook and Google Streetview, besides.

I can see the visibility of the planning map to other players being useful, especially in dragon lairs with their often labyrinthine structures and their fickle silos. I don't really see any reason beyond dev time and possible technical difficulty that having such plot maps available would be a bad thing.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    Pretty sure Istaria was around before Facebook and Google Streetview, besides.
    Ever heard about the word privacy then?

Quote Originally Posted by Creme View Post
    Ah, I don't care so much to be able to view other player's planning screens; however, I would LOVE to be able to identify the location of murals so that I can find the one I want to delete/replace.

Currently I have multiple "old" murals that I wish to replace with the newer ones; however I can't determine which one I have selected for deletion.
    This!!!
    However not only for murals, for whatever reason when for breaking down a lair I always have to spend ages trying to delete all the corridors I have in the long long list before I finally have the correct one and then the fun starts all over again untill I am finally done with breaking down all that I want.
    With Murals I tend to sit in front of it while selecting all the murals, the same could be done with the corridors of course, but I prefer a system were I can select the structure from the schematic with my mouse pointer and then quickly being able to delete it.
    You do realize that this is a game? And we are talking about viewing which structures someone plans to build on/in his/her plot/lair and not handing out bank or cc info.
    Also allowing others to see what you are planning and allowing others to participate (perhaps depending on permission status??) can in some ocasions be fun for roleplay... Like buying and building a plot or lair together normally only the owner can actually view what it looks like when finished, while if others can also see then they can plan the plot or lair together.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

In what way would this impact privacy? One can already run through any lair or plot they want. There's no privacy there to protect in the first place.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

How is this even a relevant response to what you quoted? And how does viewing the plot planner hurt privacy in any way what-so-ever? Any Dragon can get a planner-like view of a biped plot whenever they want. Fly above the plot, go first person, look down, take a picture. Any Dragon simply flying over a group of plots are getting rough planner views of each one, would you say they're invading the privacy of every single biped simply by flying over plots?

I don't see how getting a view of the plot through the planner window is any different than just looking at the plot normally, as it doesn't display anything more than that.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Privacy should only exist when there is an expectation of privacy. Simply making information available does not violate privacy unless the owner or subject of said information expects the information to remain confidential, and that expectation is practical (or granted by policy or law).

Not all information is private by default, nor should it be.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Given that there are mods that let you explore lairs that are unfinished... there is no "privacy" there either. It might not be a planner-view (but then, anyone double-clicking on a lair entrance can see exactly what you plan to build anyway, and if they want they can also very patiently click through the list and watch where the column of light appears to get a rough idea of where everything is).

I'd very much like a "show map" option in the lair planner that will let non-owners see (but not edit) the planning screen (oh, and text labels on the objects'd be cool too, thanks). That way, the ones who want to keep their not-yet-built lairs private (from anyone who doesn't have the unfinished-chambers mod) can do so - and anyone who'd like everyone to know that the smelter's on the left, and that there's a silo just off it that's public can say "look at the map."
    - Kesqui - Formerly of Ice, now of Chaos, lair in Liak
    First Rebirth 12-12-2003 / Ascended to Ancient 12-12-2010

Quote Originally Posted by Creme View Post

In your plot planning window with all the completed structures, start selecting murals. They will also be targeted in the game, highlighted with your target indicator (can be a few different things, I use the vertical beam). So once selected in the planning window, you can run around your plot and make sure the one you want deleted is selected.

Same hold true for deleting silos, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran
    In your plot planning window with all the completed structures, start selecting murals. They will also be targeted in the game, highlighted with your target indicator (can be a few different things, I use the vertical beam). So once selected in the planning window, you can run around your plot and make sure the one you want deleted is selected.

Same hold true for deleting silos, etc.
    I will try that, thank you. I might need to change my indicator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

My indicator is invisible/off and selecting the silo/mural in lair does select the one on the planner panel when it is open at the same time

Thread Information