Thread: Stats, Abilities, Spells, oh, my

Default Stats, Abilities, Spells, oh, my

I'm a young hatchling (just moving into the 20s), and I find myself a bit confused about our statistics, skills, spells and abilities, as regards placing Training Points; I've looked through this Forum, as well as the wealth of information in the Wiki and the newly re-opened Crimson Dawn pages, but still a bit baffled.

At this point, it seems that almost all of my "weapons" are Primal Skills, so, logically (I think?) it seems like I should put a goodly number of TP in Primal. I find this definition/description of the Primal Skill: Adds to spell damage dealt and also is a requirement for casting and scribing dragon spells.

Then, I read the description of the Power Statistic: Increases amount of damage dealt with magical combat hits and mental crafts.

Is "spell damage" the same as "damage dealt with magical combat hits," and, do Primal and Power both boost damage to something like an Improved Prime Bolt, for example?

And, then, I read the description of the Focus stat: Increases chances to hit with magical combat and to avoid magical attacks. Also adds a bonus to mental crafts.

Does Focus improve accuracy on everything, or, just on whatever "magical combat" happens to be? (magical combat and spells sound very much like the same thing, to me)

Oh, and I'm not ignoring melee attacks, as I've been trying to put points into Strength and Tooth/Claw (I'm assuming that one and/or both of these affect "Ravage," as well as the Silver and Gold Strikes?).

Finally....does Dexterity directly affect Speed? I find, especially at my low levels, that being able to *quickly* run away is often as important as being able to smack something with a damaging blow....

Thanks for any information, advice, suggestions.....
    Cogito, ergo sum Draconem.

Default Re: Stats, Abilities, Spells, oh, my

Quote Originally Posted by Morinare_Blackclaw View Post
    I'm a young hatchling (just moving into the 20s), and I find myself a bit confused about our statistics, skills, spells and abilities, as regards placing Training Points; I've looked through this Forum, as well as the wealth of information in the Wiki and the newly re-opened Crimson Dawn pages, but still a bit baffled.

At this point, it seems that almost all of my "weapons" are Primal Skills, so, logically (I think?) it seems like I should put a goodly number of TP in Primal. I find this definition/description of the Primal Skill: Adds to spell damage dealt and also is a requirement for casting and scribing dragon spells.

Then, I read the description of the Power Statistic: Increases amount of damage dealt with magical combat hits and mental crafts.

Is "spell damage" the same as "damage dealt with magical combat hits," and, do Primal and Power both boost damage to something like an Improved Prime Bolt, for example?

And, then, I read the description of the Focus stat: Increases chances to hit with magical combat and to avoid magical attacks. Also adds a bonus to mental crafts.

Does Focus improve accuracy on everything, or, just on whatever "magical combat" happens to be? (magical combat and spells sound very much like the same thing, to me)

Oh, and I'm not ignoring melee attacks, as I've been trying to put points into Strength and Tooth/Claw (I'm assuming that one and/or both of these affect "Ravage," as well as the Silver and Gold Strikes?).

Finally....does Dexterity directly affect Speed? I find, especially at my low levels, that being able to *quickly* run away is often as important as being able to smack something with a damaging blow....

Thanks for any information, advice, suggestions.....
    -primal: boosts attack power of PRIMAL spells.
    -power: raises attack power of all magical atttacks slightly
    -focus: raises accuracy of magical attacks.

-Tooth and claw: raises attack power of T&C attacks
    -strenght: raises all melee attack power
    -dexterity: raises accuracy of melee attacks

Tooth and Claw increases the ability To Hit with melee attacks more than damage. Strength is the main damage modifier for damage dealt with melee.

Along the same lines, Primal increases To Hit with primal spells and Power is the damage modifier.

Dexterity slightly increases the chance to avoid being hit by melee attacks, and To Hit with melee attacks.

Focus slightly increases To Hit with magical attacks, provides a small boost to healing spells, and avoid magical attacks.

I usually recommend to hatchlings to put their points into Tooth and Claw (so their attacks hit) and Strength (to increase the damage of those hits) in the beginning.
    I never met a gnome I didn't like. For tender morsels they are!

*wonders if Amon will post the constants for chance to hit*
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Okay, becoming a bit less murky...lol...

I'm kinda-sorta trying to build a fairly balanced dragon, although I'll almost certainly lean towards spell-casting...I love using the various "range" weapons as much as possible before a critter closes in for melee. When they do, of course, I want to be able to smack 'em around quick.

Thanks for the answers, so far....anyone else care to jump in?

I LOVE your sig

nothing but true^^

I advise a hatchie to put tp on str. and t&c too. And primal.

It makes it easier to face the challenges to come.

Find a nice elder, who provides you with good equippment.

Check regulary if you have all spells/abilities you can use at your level, on your hotkeys.

Never stop asking questions

grow up safely
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

lol....thanks, Lovwyrm...the signature seemed appropriate both for a Dragon, and, for the human who thinks he's in control.

I haven't ignored the melee stats (can't give you specifics right now, as I can't seem to log into the game), although I have leaned more towards spells/magical attacks (and, if there was a stat that specifically increased range, I'd probably have most of my points there!). Since first writing my original message, I've gained several levels (busy little hatchie) and *have* put most of the points in the melee area; noticed a difference immediately, killing off turquoise golems for the Kion Trophy Hunter.

Now, to go back and see if Istaria will allow me in...have 3 or 4 different projects going on, and I'd like to at least get started with one....lol

Is there any chance for a Dex/Evade/ Magic evade dragon to work?

Thread Information