Thread: Target is 2m too close for effective use of a ranged weapon.

Default Target is 2m too close for effective use of a ranged weapon.

Got this msg whilst hunting w/ Any-Foe :
    Target is 2m too close for effective use of a ranged weapon.
    I have not seen this before , does this mean that I should change weapon from now on ? If this is the case can I set up an hotkey to auto change weapon that once it detects a mob is too close, Or beings this is now showing up , anyway this can be fixed like hunter does in WOW, have it auto change weapon,. Or should I just ignore it ?
    Andy.

Default Re: Target is 2m too close for effective use of a ranged weapon.

There has always been a penalty to ranged weapons if used within melee range. But, until now there was never any notification of it.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Any chance it can be turned back off ?

Ah, can't make everyone happy.

We want to make sure players know they're getting penalized when using a weapon incorrectly. The message can be moved to a different channel, if that helps any. Other ideas are welcome too.

... Getting rid of the penalty isn't an option.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

I haven't seen the actual behavior of the "too close" message in-game, but if it says that every time you fire an arrow, I can certainly see that being irritating and incredibly spammy.

Perhaps an "effective range" line on the information window of bows and the like could be an alternative? Such as "Effective range: x-y meters. (Damage penalty under x meters)" or something.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Yes , I gues it makes sense there would be a penalty, but an auto change when too close would be cool, if we are gonna get technical on weapons range of ranged weapons I would guess that thrown spear does not work up close also, and that crossbows now also give the same error msg ? does this also open the possibility of bombs (ice , fire and what not ) also do give a decreased damage when they are too close to you, and may be if we are gonna get realistic on weapons can bow users get a quiver some time ?.
    also wondering if a spell that is AOE is cast too close to the caster that it would backlash on you LOL , man do not like that thought at all. I know im being picky and cynical, its been a bad year.
    Andy.

Andy, this isn't a change we're adding. Its something that has been in place since launch in 2003. It only applies to physical range weapons (bows, crossbows) and is specifically excludes magical spells. So no worries about your Bombs or AoEs or anything.

But, we can definitely look at ways of letting you know there's a penalty without spamming the feedback.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I noticed this message when I first got back to the game... It hits me nearly every time I use Magic Crush. I knew that was a ranged attack, but I didn't realize that it was not a melee effective one as well.

Guess now Its Dispirit foe, magic crush.. instead of Dispirit foe, coordinated spirit bolt, magic crush.. because at least the spirit bolt is counted as a spell and can be cast at melee range without penalty.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Thread Information