Thread: Streamline crafting class switching?

Default Streamline crafting class switching?

Would it be possible to add a checkbox to the Character Sheet Schools page so that a player can "switch" to a current craft without having to run all over the world just to talk to a trainer? The trainer should only be necessary to give initial training and quests. Reality check here-just because I'm currently a Scholar shouldn't mean I have to talk to a blacksmith trainer to "relearn" how to make a bronze bar and the experience gained should be based on the actual crafting done, not what school one has currently selected. Putting a checkmark beside a craft on the Schools page allows the player the ability to gain experience in the desired craft without have to do a lot of re-coding.

Default Re: Streamline crafting class switching?

Well, I know they restated the Dragon Craft and Dragon LS trainers back to the center of Dralk, to make it easier to switch schools back and forth (as before you had to fly/run waaayyy out of Dralk to switch to/from LS school...).

But they didi NOT get rid of the mechanic entirely.

So, while I don't see them putting in a login check mark to auto-change, perhaps they could put a fully-manned Trainer Hub in a major portal city location so that you only had to go to one place to switch between ANY craft school. (and perhaps this is true somewhere, not playing a biped I cant say...).

And just get rid of the whole "all things you craft should apply to your current school regards" hope/idea. They wont be doing that. They built it this way specificallly, not by accident, and they have stated again and again that *that* wont be changing. :/

(Cuz it sucks for dragons too ...)
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Well, running from trainer to trainer may be boring, but one can always visit, for example, Aughundell and find all the trainers.
    What I could see - there are 2 things about craft chaning:
    1) there coul be some, let him call, "Imperial trainer" located in any major town (Trandalar, Bristugo?) and function as super-trainer. You come, you greet, choose school and go your own way;
    2) I think developers could institute some option to forget certain school. Example: I have joined (by mistake) some 2 or 3 schools at the begining of the game. So far I had no use for them and would like to 'delete' or 'forget', but I can forget only adventure school. Solution: let there be any existing NPC with added quest "Forget craft school". Player then has to think (wait) for some time and hooray - school forgotten as well as all experience related to that school.

Quote Originally Posted by anonimas View Post
    ... 2) I think developers could institute some option to forget certain school...
    (Before someone else mentions it)

As you noted, you can 'forget' an adventure school, but why would you even want to forget a crafting school? I don't see it serving any purpose.

As for the OP, this topic has been mentioned before, however, I don't think a Dev has actually ever commented, except perhaps to just say 'no'.

I will disagree with the idea though, but I don't have any specific reasons only examples as to why it won't work:
    - so what would happen when you make a tool? Which class should be awarded the exp? Most of the skills cross over between schools, so if you were to make a stone tool, should Blacksmith get the xp, or Tinker, or Scholar...
    That's just my 2 cents.

See yas in istaria
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Quote Originally Posted by hallucin8 View Post
    As you noted, you can 'forget' an adventure school, but why would you even want to forget a crafting school? I don't see it serving any purpose.
    One might wish to unlearn a craft school that provides Salvaging skill.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

If you have not completed a craft school you should be required to visit that trainer to switch schools. If you have completed a school there is no reason to switch to that school. Since exp over the cap is meaningless.
    Experienced hunter and Grandmaster craftsman. Blight only

In response to the question on which school would get experience for crafting a tool, the answer is whatever school YOU have selected as current school. I'm not suggesting the game decides where the xp goes, I'm saying the player should be able to decide what craft is current without having to run anywhere. Again, my point is that one doesn't "unlearn" anything when one switches schools, and the point of a trainer is to teach the basic skills of the craft. Consider in real life, one could go to a trade school to learn the basics of carpentry and graduate. After graduating with the basic skills you improve your craft by "doing". However, if you take a temporary job as a short-order cook, you don't "forget" how to hammer a nail, and shouldn't have to go back to school to start improving your carpentry skill again.

How about a questline from each trainer once you surpass 20-30 to allow you to switch without speaking to a trainer?
    Because it would be helpful with in ED with a group to be able to switch to Reaver or Spirit Disciple or even Cleric to rez someone..

Here we go.. a buff-like cooldown on switching classes.. you get a quest from.. Trainer.. or Pratt... Or even add an npc to do this specificly... You can switch classes (One for Craft, one for Adventure) once... an hour... without going to a trainer.. Have it like Breath of Acid where its long and drawn out so you have to pay attention and HAVE to be willing to go through it to get this skill...

That way if you have someone absolutely needing you RIGHT THIS VERY INSTANT as a Cleric in ED or as a Confectioner because they ran out of food (Lazy much? :P) You can give it up, and yeah it'd end up making higher levels stingy to switch, but its there, and not just a freebee : )
    ~Clearbrooke~ *Riverpaw*
    lv 60 Elemental Archer on Chaos
    Raaliquiryn Vaerkaldra, previously Kirya Al`Taraya (Mistress of the Blighted Guard!)
    lv 100/40/34 Dragon on Chaos

There already is a town with all the crafting trainers.. its called Tazoon.. Just go there and change schools, and go do what your going to do.. no need to run all over the place. Just head to Taz.. the only trainers that arnt there are perhaps some of the adventure trainers because they are hiding out in the middle of nowhere, like.. the Disciples...
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fratricide View Post
    There already is a town with all the crafting trainers.. its called Tazoon.. Just go there and change schools, and go do what your going to do.. no need to run all over the place. Just head to Taz.. the only trainers that arnt there are perhaps some of the adventure trainers because they are hiding out in the middle of nowhere, like.. the Disciples...
    Except all the trainers were removed from Tazoon some time ago for lag reduction purposes. (Unless this has recently been reverted anyway.)

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Not sure what happened in Tazoon, they're still there if you do /select <name> but they're not 'within greeting range' so its unhelpful and just puts Tazoon into a completely useless position... Delete all of Tazoon if you want to be that way
    ~Clearbrooke~ *Riverpaw*
    lv 60 Elemental Archer on Chaos
    Raaliquiryn Vaerkaldra, previously Kirya Al`Taraya (Mistress of the Blighted Guard!)
    lv 100/40/34 Dragon on Chaos

Thread Information