Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Talk to the Team: Paladin

Default Re: Talk to the Team: Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiel View Post
    Did these changes make it to Delta 259-261? I don't have a Paladin to look. Mainly asking because I didn't see them on the patch notes. Was wondering if the notes was forgotten or if these changes are for the next one? Thanks!
    No, it was not. I didn't do any of that work until after 261.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I've just become Paladin lvl 20 on one of my biped and I received "Life Strike I" but when I try to use it, it says "This ability requires fighting with Life". But how can I fight with Life ? "Life Attack" spell and Life Attack dragon Crystal don't exist so I can't convert damage to life.
    SuHuz Fieryclaw, Grand Master Dragon Crafter (Order)

Quote Originally Posted by SuHuz View Post
    I've just become Paladin lvl 20 on one of my biped and I received "Life Strike I" but when I try to use it, it says "This ability requires fighting with Life". But how can I fight with Life ? "Life Attack" spell and Life Attack dragon Crystal don't exist so I can't convert damage to life.
    You can use Mystic Blaze as a Paladin to incur life damage on your opponents if that's what the feedback message is implying.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzael View Post
    You can use Mystic Blaze as a Paladin to incur life damage on your opponents if that's what the feedback message is implying.
    This is not what I meant, "Life Stike I" doesn't work, I can't use it, it may be a bug.
    SuHuz Fieryclaw, Grand Master Dragon Crafter (Order)

Quote Originally Posted by Ssilmath View Post

<Snipped for Length>

Stand against Darkness should be a defining trait that starts at 20 and progresses up through the levels until it reaches where it is now. Make Paladins aware from when they start that they are anti undead.

Allow access to Group Health and Health or Minor Health. Augment the ability to heal a bit (not like a dedicated healer though). This shouldn't be game breaking as it is inferior to clerics, while their damage is inferior to warriors.

Give a spell/ability to Pallies that converts all damage into Life. If I understand it correctly, this would give a damage buff against undead while not increasing damage against other enemies. Make it Pally only to keep it under control.

Maybe an aura that provides resistance to cleanses from Aegis or Blight only. The speed with which buffs can be stripped off and debuffs applied is crazy and exceeds what a player can do. (Especially fighting Skulk Shamans) That might be pushing it though.

Give Pallies access to Detox other and group please. Maybe self as well, though not really needed.

I'd also recommend allowing Paladins the ability to wield hammers and clubs. Diversify the weapons they can use just a bit, so that they have at least a little bit more than slashing weapons at their disposal. I do recognize that other classes have restrictions, and would say they should have access to at least one other set of weapons. Not necessarily skill points gained per level though.

In short, I'd like to see something differentiate Paladin from the other classes. Having less dps than Warriors and less healing than Clerics makes for a class that comes up short of being very useful. Getting the niche of Aegis killer would be just the ticket, and beefing up their group support so that they're worthwhile grouping with when not hunting undead.
    Okay, a lot of what SSilmath said here is quite good and a lot of it I would agree with, so I'm going to break down each topic remaining from what I snipped.

I've recently brought back an old character because the idea of playing a Paladin sounded good and also reminded me of one of my old friends who no longer plays who had specialized in Paladin (this goes to you Leonea!) .

To start with though, I'll reference his 'Aegis-Killer' statement first. I absolutely agree with this. After all the years the Gifted have been fighting against the Aegis, surely they'd have discovered ways to specialize in killing them and have developed elite aegis-killer units to deploy into deadlands and the like.

Second, while I can agree with amping up a Paladin's healing potential, I can't 100% agree with giving them a lot of access to too many heals. They are, afterall, primarily a 'Warrior' class, so we can't give them TOO much power over healing. I would, however, agree with giving them access to at least two more heals, Minor Health (its a weak heal, honestly), and Group Health.

As a defender of the light and of their friends, they'd excel at 'first aid' type heals, meaning weak heals. Revitalize, Improved Revitalize, Minor Health, and Group Health, plus their Healing Touch and ability to ressurect would be quite sufficient for them.

If Minor Health is considered TOO many heals, then adding Group Health only wouldn't be a bad idea either. I also feel that 8 life skill per level and 7 Augmentation skill per level is too weak. They are a 'team player' they should be better at supporting as a warrior instead of a main/heavy damage dealer... unless it was against the Aegis. Perhaps raising Life skill to 9 per level and augmentation to 9 per level would be better, or if that's too high, 8 at least.

Thirdly, I do like the idea of a 'life attack' in the style of flame, energy, and ice attack, the game itself says that a Paladin 'channels the power of life to protect their friends and destroy their enemies'. I also feel that they should be able to use crushing weapons as well, the warrior trainer on New Trismus said that undead are weak to crushing damage.

Since a Paladin should be an anti-Aegis elite... it only makes sense that they be able to use crushing weapons to destroy the Aegis. Instead of just one paw slash and two paw slash, I could see adding one paw crush and two paw crush to their class at the rate of 10 per level. As I've not particularly seen any Aegis weak to one paw pierce... it wouldn't be necessary to add that skill to the class.

Fourth, I also like the idea of giving them access to detoxify other and group detoxify, not necessarily detoxify self, because they do have access to purify (although that is a horribly weak spell to start with, but nevertheless, they CAN use it). After all, their primary mission is to destroy Aegis and protect their friends. Although I don't feel an aura that protects against buff stripping and debuffing is necessary; that just might get to be a little too powerful.

Finally, I'd suggest looking at the Auras a Paladin uses... In particular, let's examine Stand Against Darkness and Aura of Light. I feel these two are 'mixed up', truth be told. If you recall, the Healer's 'Illustrious Stand' protects from the Aegis, making it harder to hit the party.

Aura of Light reduces the damage the party takes from the undead, which is good, but that, to me... feels like it is stepping on the toes of the Healer's Illustrious Stand. A Healer DEFENDS against the undead and a Paladin DESTROYS the undead.

In this case, I'd suggest swapping Stand Against Darkness into a group buff, because its an aura meant to destroy undead and switch Aura of Light into a self-only buff, since it would likely conflict with Illustrious Stand anyhow (I haven't tested this yet, but I think it would be likely, if I know the system as well as I think I do xD), which wouldn't conflict with Illustrious Stand... or making it so that it doesn't... however that would work.

As SSilmath said, Stand Against Darkness should be available EARLY on in a Paladin's career as their unique, defining ability. It should then scale up as they get stronger, much like how the Sorceror's Mind Defense powers up as they grow as well as their 'Awareness' ability.

To sum it up, Paladin should be refined to be a bane to the Aegis, channeling Life energy and magic to counter the evil and destructive Blight, but they should be able to support their friends pretty well too.

Thank you for your time, consideration, and insight.
    Last edited by Litarath; April 3rd, 2016 at 10:18 AM.

Ri'ta'ra'thi Is'mi'nei: Season 100 ADV/100 CRA/100 BLK(former)/100 LSH/ 1.11 BILLION hoard
    Kytitia Pyrrithia: Unparalleled Rating 212 Saris Sorceror, Rating 234 Crafter

Quote Originally Posted by Litarath View Post
    Okay, a lot of what SSilmath said here is quite good and a lot of it I would agree with, so I'm going to break down each topic remaining from what I snipped.

I've recently brought back an old character because the idea of playing a Paladin sounded good and also reminded me of one of my old friends who no longer plays who had specialized in Paladin (this goes to you Leonea!) .

To start with though, I'll reference his 'Aegis-Killer' statement first. I absolutely agree with this. After all the years the Gifted have been fighting against the Aegis, surely they'd have discovered ways to specialize in killing them and have developed elite aegis-killer units to deploy into deadlands and the like.

Second, while I can agree with amping up a Paladin's healing potential, I can't 100% agree with giving them a lot of access to too many heals. They are, afterall, primarily a 'Warrior' class, so we can't give them TOO much power over healing. I would, however, agree with giving them access to at least two more heals, Minor Health (its a weak heal, honestly), and Group Health.

As a defender of the light and of their friends, they'd excel at 'first aid' type heals, meaning weak heals. Revitalize, Improved Revitalize, Minor Health, and Group Health, plus their Healing Touch and ability to ressurect would be quite sufficient for them.

If Minor Health is considered TOO many heals, then adding Group Health only wouldn't be a bad idea either. I also feel that 8 life skill per level and 7 Augmentation skill per level is too weak. They are a 'team player' they should be better at supporting as a warrior instead of a main/heavy damage dealer... unless it was against the Aegis. Perhaps raising Life skill to 9 per level and augmentation to 9 per level would be better, or if that's too high, 8 at least.

Thirdly, I do like the idea of a 'life attack' in the style of flame, energy, and ice attack, the game itself says that a Paladin 'channels the power of life to protect their friends and destroy their enemies'. I also feel that they should be able to use crushing weapons as well, the warrior trainer on New Trismus said that undead are weak to crushing damage.

Since a Paladin should be an anti-Aegis elite... it only makes sense that they be able to use crushing weapons to destroy the Aegis. Instead of just one paw slash and two paw slash, I could see adding one paw crush and two paw crush to their class at the rate of 10 per level. As I've not particularly seen any Aegis weak to one paw pierce... it wouldn't be necessary to add that skill to the class.

Fourth, I also like the idea of giving them access to detoxify other and group detoxify, not necessarily detoxify self, because they do have access to purify (although that is a horribly weak spell to start with, but nevertheless, they CAN use it). After all, their primary mission is to destroy Aegis and protect their friends. Although I don't feel an aura that protects against buff stripping and debuffing is necessary; that just might get to be a little too powerful.

Finally, I'd suggest looking at the Auras a Paladin uses... In particular, let's examine Stand Against Darkness and Aura of Light. I feel these two are 'mixed up', truth be told. If you recall, the Healer's 'Illustrious Stand' protects from the Aegis, making it harder to hit the party.

Aura of Light reduces the damage the party takes from the undead, which is good, but that, to me... feels like it is stepping on the toes of the Healer's Illustrious Stand. A Healer DEFENDS against the undead and a Paladin DESTROYS the undead.

In this case, I'd suggest swapping Stand Against Darkness into a group buff, because its an aura meant to destroy undead and switch Aura of Light into a self-only buff, since it would likely conflict with Illustrious Stand anyhow (I haven't tested this yet, but I think it would be likely, if I know the system as well as I think I do xD), which wouldn't conflict with Illustrious Stand... or making it so that it doesn't... however that would work.

As SSilmath said, Stand Against Darkness should be available EARLY on in a Paladin's career as their unique, defining ability. It should then scale up as they get stronger, much like how the Sorceror's Mind Defense powers up as they grow as well as their 'Awareness' ability.

To sum it up, Paladin should be refined to be a bane to the Aegis, channeling Life energy and magic to counter the evil and destructive Blight, but they should be able to support their friends pretty well too.

Thank you for your time, consideration, and insight.
    Firstly Paladins aren't supposed to necro rez which is exactly what you have done to this thread.

Secondly as one of Orders only Paladin main players i have this to say.

TL:DR NO.

Reference Aegis killers.. WE ARE we don't really need a boost in this though if they wanna give me more abilities yes please.

Reference Heals.. Laying on hands is a prime example of a typical paladin heal ability. we don't really need any more than that (again if you wanna give me more then yes please)

Reference Crushing.. you give us crushing then really your just making the paladin very similar to guardians.. Although i would love an option to use a demon maul. And I don't see how smashing aegis is any different to turning them into a kebob.

Reference Detox.. get druid and healer problem solved..

Reference Auras.. SaD isn't really an Aura and as powerful as it is SHOULDN'T be a group buff.. although aura of light could possibly do with a revamp.

Also i agree that SaD should scale from an earlier level..

As for you last statement..

They can heal pretty well, they have the ability to buff with enhances and can res.... what more do you want to assist allies?

To sum up Most of your desires get solved with multiclassing.. which is exactly why we multiclass.. it sounds like you want a one stop shop... and its not gonna happen.

Oooh and DPS vs aegis... once we are at level 100 not many can keep up with us.
    Gwain Drago - Mystic Paladin
    Arzel - Knight of creation/Battlemage
    Aurakvoar - Ancient Lunus

Quote Originally Posted by Litarath View Post

Second, while I can agree with amping up a Paladin's healing potential,
    . I also feel that 8 life skill per level and 7 Augmentation skill per level is too weak. Perhaps raising Life skill to 9 per level and augmentation to 9 per level would be better, or if that's too high, 8 at least.

it only makes sense that they be able to use crushing weapons to destroy the Aegis. Instead of just one paw slash and two paw slash, I could see adding one paw crush and two paw crush to their class at the rate of 10 per level.

Fourth, I also like the idea of giving them access to detoxify other and group detoxify, not necessarily detoxify self, because they do have access to purify (although that is a horribly weak spell to start with, but nevertheless, they CAN use it). After all, their primary mission is to destroy Aegis and protect their friends. Although I don't feel an aura that protects against buff stripping and debuffing is necessary; that just might get to be a little too powerful
    What you want is a cleric!?

Paladin has already been tweaked.

Stand Against Darkness does come at an earlier level now. Stand Against Darkness III is the old level 96 Stand Against Darkness. Stand Against Darkness I is given at level 36.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    Paladin has already been tweaked.

Stand Against Darkness does come at an earlier level now. Stand Against Darkness III is the old level 96 Stand Against Darkness. Stand Against Darkness I is given at level 36.
    Good point I forgot about that.

Thread Information