Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: duels

Default duels

I think having a duel request button would be very nice. We could right click on some one and along with the other options we could have a " send duel request " option too. If the other player accepts then" LET THE BATTLE BEGIN " right there right now. That way we don't have to run to the arena. Not to mention that taking new low leveled players to the arena is very tough. ( I recently needed 20 mins to get 2 hatchies to the arena ). It would also be very amusing for all the players watching. And maybe even make teams from the first 2 oponents.

What do YOU freakin awesome Istaria player think ?

Default Re: duels

I think it would be a terrible idea. Even if the default was to disallow being spammed with duel requests. Next to the wonderful crafting, the absolute absence of that stuff in my face (both requests and the combat spam) is one of the things that I like most about Istaria.
    Blight: Kaylee, Marynah, others
    Guildmistress, Crafters of Blight
    Chaos: Demmona, Bankshot, others
    Co-Guildmistress, Mithril Council

One of the things about Istaria that I enjoy is its "back-story," the fact that we're all "Gifted" and, despite our various racial differences, we all have a common enemy and common goal. Just seems to me that putting any further emphasis on Player v Player goes against that back-story.

Now, if there were specific benefits that could be gained by PvP (a *slight* increase in skill or ability, due to "training), it might be a bit different.

Speaking as a fairly new player (about a month, now), I think hatchies (or, newly-minted naka) have more than enough on their plate, what with their own training and the often incessant chorus of "join my guild.....join my guild!"
    Cogito, ergo sum Draconem.

Istaria's current (time) setting and situation does not allow PvP and it will never allow PvP.

So your best bet is visiting the Arena which is the only (consensual) PvP area.

Like Marynah, I'm against this idea. One thing I hate is getting pestered by anonymous group invites. This would be even worse and possibly even more annoying.

Maybe if it were inside the group options - but I still wouldn't like it.
    Chaos: Delite, Delicat, Delectable, Delikit, Delish & Deetara~Blight: DeeDee

While I do purr over milk, give me a huge mug of flavored coffee, I'll be ecstatic!

If you want to PVP go to the arena, simple as that. You need to one time get there and attune yourself, then you can just port there.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •Â«

To be honest, I don't even find duels that much fun. After a few tries in the arena it got very frustrating to go against very old dragon characters that are packed with crazy powerful items or crystals that are no longer in the game, which makes the whole thing very unfair for a "standard" player. And I cant even imagine what it's like for multiclassed bipeds.

I have no problem with PvP or letting players kill each other right there and then, but I am not sure that it is good for this game.

From origin this is a Player vs Enviroment game, the little amount of PvP that is ingame is more like a bonus.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

One of the things I like about Iz is not having to put up with that constant request to fight rubbish that I get spammed with in other games...

I find constant requests to join a new guild (despite having one floating above my head) annoying enough and requests for private chats - (this from unknowing new players so entirely forgivable).

Although I confess it would be a little funny smacking the snot out of some L10 hatchling (who has not learned the meaning of ratings) who looks down upon my R176 sslik because he's physically smaller, and the dragon has a little-man complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Morphaz Bladewing View Post
    To be honest, I don't even find duels that much fun. After a few tries in the arena it got very frustrating to go against very old dragon characters that are packed with crazy powerful items or crystals that are no longer in the game, which makes the whole thing very unfair for a "standard" player. And I cant even imagine what it's like for multiclassed bipeds.
    Yuuuup. Perfect spell, multicast, Exsanguinate = DEAD ANYTHING XD. Duels are hardly even and if they were to become standard, cries for nerfing would be heard.
    "State your case, but do it well. I do not suffer fools gladly." ~Sereamha Balla-dor

I like the idea od a duel rquest, but to adress others consernd with spam...i think there should also be an option to block the requests if they want to.
    Chrystalas Wolfbane (Saris of the Scions)..Just a normal lil kitty cat ...well maby a bit crazy..just a bit..

Thumbs down Re: duels

Quote Originally Posted by Marynah View Post
    I think it would be a terrible idea. Even if the default was to disallow being spammed with duel requests. Next to the wonderful crafting, the absolute absence of that stuff in my face (both requests and the combat spam) is one of the things that I like most about Istaria.
    I wholeheartedly agree!
    Besides that: PvP in a game almost always seems to be "an invitation to griefers" and that is the last thing I would want to see here!

For the past 7 1/2+ years I've enjoyed playing Istaria as it is (and hopefully as it will stay), but the moment that ANY form of PvP (apart from in the Arena) should enter Istaria, I'm gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramaj View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree!
    Besides that: PvP in a game almost always seems to be "an invitation to griefers" and that is the last thing I would want to see here!

For the past 7 1/2+ years I've enjoyed playing Istaria as it is (and hopefully as it will stay), but the moment that ANY form of PvP (apart from in the Arena) should enter Istaria, I'm gone!
    I sign that

I`ve tried to find political correct words since this thread was opened.
    I failed- so this is all I have to say.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

From my perspective, Istaria was never designed to be PvP and the majority of the current player community is here in part because of that. I do not like the idea of introducing PvP to Istaria any more than it already has been. I much prefer the atmosphere of everyone working together towards a common goal.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

no pvp in my horizons, please - the arena is enough for my tastes
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    no pvp in my horizons, please - the arena is enough for my tastes
    You said it, Vel...AMEN!
    "No matter where you go...there you are" - Buckaroo Banzai

I'm gonna go against the general grain here and say that I would welcome the ability to duel. It would be fun, and no, face it, it's not going to suddenly make the game a huge spam-filled pit of ragenoobs and hatred. :P

~Galde

I wouldn't be against it, neither. I see it is useful to test our fighting skills, to have fun, and to develop battle tactics.

All other things being equal, a duel system probably wouldn't utterly destroy the game. But all other things are NOT equal.

1. None of the classes are balanced around PvP. At ALL. And they can't be, it's a nightmare trying to balance them around even just PvE (see: the current Bloodmage suggestion thread, as Amon tries to turn the class into something besides "a foolish thing to have padded your ADV rating with"). This is just not a game meant for PvP, period, but as soon as you open up PvP options some players will begin kvetching about the stuff that "isn't fair".
    2. If the devs DID decide to sit down and rebalance everything around dueling, that would be a huge, huge, HUGE time drain above and beyond even things like tier revamps, which are so notoriously awful that we've still only had two or three done in this entire game's life. So they'd probably have to stop working on everything else on the "to-do" list, which would be unfair to the 95+% of the playerbase who doesn't give an arbotus butt about fighting other players.
    3. Finally, and probably the biggest reason I think this is a terrible idea, we already have dueling. You go to the arena and while you're there you can PvP all you want. That's not formal and mechanically-enforced enough for you? Tough cookies. I'm pretty sure we didn't even have that much for years back at the start.

Please contact your nearest veteran for directions to the arena, and let me go back to enjoying one of the few quality MMOs available to me where I don't have to spare a single thought for PvP.

Finally, and probably the biggest reason I think this is a terrible idea, we already have dueling. You go to the arena and while you're there you can PvP all you want. That's not formal and mechanically-enforced enough for you? Tough cookies. I'm pretty sure we didn't even have that much for years back at the start.
    Doesn't the fact that we already have basic duelling, as troublesome as it is, kind of negate your other points? The simple fact is, the arena's a bit of an arse to get to, especially if you're low level. And just because we didn't start with much doesn't mean that new stuff shouldn't be added. My word, 'it's more than what we started with' is a TERRIBLE excuse not to add new things! Oh hey, we added RoP for Dragons. Now we're not going to add any more changes ever again (and you can forget ARoP!) because you have more than what you had originally. No new stuff for you! Geez. That'd be a quick way to kill the game if we applied that train of thought to everything, wouldn't it?

Please contact your nearest veteran for directions to the arena, and let me go back to enjoying one of the few quality MMOs available to me where I don't have to spare a single thought for PvP.
    I don't get how so many players on this game have to make such a faff and drama out of ideas and changes that will have no effect on them whatsoever. Drama, drama, drama.

~Galde

Thread Information