View Poll Results: Should they listen to me?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they should!

2 4.35%
  • No, they should not!

44 95.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know how you can get alot more People to play Istaria

Wink I know how you can get alot more People to play Istaria

Hay, everybody. I know how you could get alot more people to play Istaria, what you need to do is GREATLY update you'r grahpics!!! I mean when I started the game, the graphics where horrible. I dont know how you can expect players to whant to pay to play a game that has cruddy graphics, and a clumbsy interface. But, if you dont whant to update you'r graphics and interface then you should just Go COMPLETELY free to play. But I have found many other MMORPGs with way better grapghics and interface that are completely free to play, but the only reason I play this game is becuase of the ability to play as a dragon. This game could be way more successful if you will listen to my advice. but instead of have to pay for a basic account, you should be able to play as any race, for free, and only have to pay for a property holder account. believe me this will majerly increase the amount of people who whant to play this game. it WILL work if you listen.

Default Re: I know how you can get alot more People to play Istaria

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    As Takora says: umpteen reasons not to listen to your proposal......

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    I was already there. And Istaria has one of the lowest playerbases I have ever seen.

creaters of Istaria, I hope oneday you will understand the flaws of you'r ways. and will eventually fix them. May the great Goddess bless you.

I will simply tell my dev team to begin working on a F2P MMORPG that you can play as a dragon. Pretty simple fix.

Thank you for giving the immature population expecting handouts a place to go and planting seeds for those who will look for a more mature atmosphere in which to play a dragon. Oh, please include aerial PvP combat while you're at it; I'd rather Istaria be spared the PvP too.

Funny enough, I think Istaria's graphics STILL stand up as some of the prettiest game graphics out there. Certainly I still use screenshots as desktop backgrounds....

Suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as is gameplay.
    - Kesqui - Formerly of Ice, now of Chaos, lair in Liak
    First Rebirth 12-12-2003 / Ascended to Ancient 12-12-2010

Quote Originally Posted by Kesqui View Post
    Funny enough, I think Istaria's graphics STILL stand up as some of the prettiest game graphics out there. Certainly I still use screenshots as desktop backgrounds....

Suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as is gameplay.
    I totally agree with you
    I really love the way Istaria looks.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Quote Originally Posted by cageddestroyer View Post
    I will simply tell my dev team to begin working on a F2P MMORPG that you can play as a dragon. Pretty simple fix.
    The combined implications of 'Game development' and 'Simple' are more than enough to say the only dev team you have is in your dreams.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Most of Istaria's playerbase will probably disagree that Istaria's graphics are ugly and that its interface is clumsy. I personally think Istaria is a very visually pleasing game a lot of the time. The interface may not look flashy, but have you noticed that you can set it up pretty much any way you wish to? If you find the default clumsy, just change it however you please.

Also, Istaria already has a free-to-play account. You are limited to a human, but a human can take anything that any other biped race can do. Free-to-play dragons (which I suspect is what this thread is really about, besides graphics) are a very, very bad idea.

Why in the world should Istaria not charge for probably its biggest draw over any other MMORPG? That would make absolutely no sense. Having more players means nothing if none of those new players pay for anything.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Actually, the more I think on it...

I wonder how much more work it would be for Virtrium to set up another shard using Istarian graphics, etc. but to host a game that is dragon-only, PvP, with aerial combat between dragons possible. Do you think it would make any sense for them to try expanding their business that way? I would not play it but there might be a population out there that would.

that graphics are fine, just need new animations *flys and hides in his lair*

Graphics are not everything in a game, and please take it from me: Development is not easy.

Istaria will not be getting a graphics upgrade without a client rewrite, which is not on the priority list. It doesn't mean however, that you will not be seeing new art content. I'm fairly certain I've got some experiments on the go for a fairly commonly found world object to be changed for the better...
    Last edited by Frosthide; September 5th, 2011 at 11:35 PM.

wow, I wonder how many times more this dead horse can stand to be
    resurrected before it sez "been there, done that, ain't coming back"

A few points in no particular order:

- Talk is cheap, put your $$ where your mouth is.

- GET YOUR GAME ON! Develop away, I'll wait right here for the
    advertisements of your game to appear.

- IMO any person that left due to "Quality" of graphics
    wasn't going to be happy with Istaria anyway.

- IMO the greatest treasure of Istaria isn't it's Interface, Graphics,
    or it's ability to draw 30 Million players.

- @Awdz - nice idea but I doubt it can ever happen. I think VI
    already said they cannot create separate Deltas for each server.

- I may not love 100% of VI's development decisions, but I'll stay with
    them even _IF_ another game ever allows playable dragons.

- In order to run a Free-2-play game you'd have to be independantly
    wealthy OR run it as a Micro-transaction game like many others. At
    some stage you will need ca$h to run your game.

- I find it interesting that you appear to be new and yet know _ALL_
    and _EXACTLY_ what will correct Istaria's Problems.

Andaras

I voted NO- for reasons already said here.
    I love Istaria the way it is- otherwise I would play something else.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

what you need to do is GREATLY update you'r grahpics!!! I mean when I started the game, the graphics where horrible. I dont know how you can expect players to whant to pay to play a game that has cruddy graphics, and a clumbsy interface.
    In my opinion - and I am new player to the game and I was *not* disappointed with graphic. If I would after colour explosions with 5 millions colours and each proton seen - I would go for other games.

But, if you dont whant to update you'r graphics and interface then you should just Go COMPLETELY free to play. But I have found many other MMORPGs with way better grapghics and interface that are completely free to play, but the only reason I play this game is becuase of the ability to play as a dragon.
    Disagree. Game owners have to own servers and so on. They do need money and I haven't heard they have found some Spanish galeon full of gold. In any game you would have either micropayments or paid account, from Runescape to WoW.

but instead of have to pay for a basic account, you should be able to play as any race, for free, and only have to pay for a property holder account. believe me this will majerly increase the amount of people who whant to play this game. it WILL work if you listen
    Disagree. I play as free-to-play, have only 1 character, only 1 race (human) and no possibility to buy plot. Do I feel discriminated? No! I have all the game options available, I may fight, may visit all the locations, may craft whatsoever I desire and so on.

The only things Virtrium could do would be regular updates - it would be perfect, for example, 1 event at least each month. Be it attack from Withered Aegis that players should withstand or new town or task to players to build some structure that 'unlocks' new location. But this is up to the developers.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a graphical overhaul, but the graphics really aren't that bad as far as looks go. I mean sure, I would really appreciate if Human-like races hair actually looked like hair (rather than a blob with a texture that looks sorta-maybe-a little bit like hair) and some graphical problems were dealt with like the neck...flap things on Dragons... but otherwise, the graphics are OK with me. A little stretched, a little aged, maybe a little ugly, but nothing glaringly horrible that'd bug me enough to make me consider not playing.

Some of the animations, though... some of the animations aren't so good. Particularly Biped animations. They bug me. They're just so stiff and unnatural and funny lookin'... XD But animation is a hell of a lot of work (I'm studying animation, I know how much a pain in the arse it is XD ) so I don't expect that to be high on the priority list.

Graphics don't make a game good, and they don't make a game popular. If that were the case, WoW wouldn't have so many players. WoW's graphics are pleasant and nicely stylized but they're not eye-popping top-notch super-hyperrealistic CoD graphics. They don't need to be. The underlying game is good, and that's what gets the players in.

My personal thoughts is, to get more people to play, there are 2 key things that should be fixed. Firstly, this game is very, very grindy. Making things easier might not keep dedicated players working on each thing very long, but it could go a hell of a way to keep more casual players interested. The second thing is the actual... what would you call it... responsiveness of the game. It's laggy, sometimes things randomly won't load, my characters take a lifetime to respond to any given command... that's what -really- bugs me about the game. Usually, it's just annoying, but sometimes, for me, it makes the game unplayable. I just have to try again later and hope it wants to be nice to me next time.

Those are the two key things I think would go the furthest in helping the game's immediate future. Tier overhauls and new content is great but if you can't enjoy the game in the first place, it's not really going to achieve much in the long run. I think it's probably down to how old the game is but I'm not really technical so I can't be sure.

~Galde

I'm sure at this point, a decent number of the playerbase are all players that have been here for quite some time. I've only played a decent amount since 2009, but I still feel like if they were to alter the graphics/style of the game, its integrity to me would be soiled. I'm not sure if the older players would feel the same way, but I think you see my point. The devs are most likely aware of this, but in terms of keeping the non veteran, but avid players playing, you need to give them a defined "Light at the end of the tunnel" as something to work for.

To me, the end-game seems like exactly what the entire rest of the process is.. Leveling. Which isn't such a bad thing, but I feel as if there should be a more open-ended end game. As in, you have a larger variety of progressions to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by cageddestroyer View Post
    Hay, everybody. I know how you could get alot more people to play Istaria, what you need to do is GREATLY update you'r grahpics!!! I mean when I started the game, the graphics where horrible. I dont know how you can expect players to whant to pay to play a game that has cruddy graphics, and a clumbsy interface. But, if you dont whant to update you'r graphics and interface then you should just Go COMPLETELY free to play. But I have found many other MMORPGs with way better grapghics and interface that are completely free to play, but the only reason I play this game is becuase of the ability to play as a dragon. This game could be way more successful if you will listen to my advice. but instead of have to pay for a basic account, you should be able to play as any race, for free, and only have to pay for a property holder account. believe me this will majerly increase the amount of people who whant to play this game. it WILL work if you listen.

Another 12 year old looking to have everything handed to you.

MINE!
    FREE!
    GIMME!
    FEED ME!

How does it feel to make a survey where EVERYONE disagrees with you because of how wrong you are? Are you angry? Or do you think everyones wrong but you?

Quit the game. Go play something else.

Just a little drunk dwarven bi-ped wreaking havoc in chaos.

Thread Information