Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bring RP back to NT!

Default Re: Bring RP back to NT!

That's rather similar to how I saw it when I first joined, Morinare. :3 Though to me most RPs were more a matter of IC boundries than OOC boundries, especially since I was new and didn't know anybody. If you see an RP going on, don't consern yourself too much with trying to get involved, just throw your character at them in some way. The good roleplayers will resist you ICly, not OOCly, and as I experienced the resitance gradually dropped as my character got move involved and wrapped up in their story.

If you encounter people roleplaying in a public channel such as Grassy Plains or Role-Play that are saying, OOCly, that they don't want you interacting with their characters then it's gone way too far and they either need lighten up or take it out of public. Otherwise, the way I see it anyway, so long as you go into every RP with the mindset that you may not become a core contributor to the story then it doesn't matter OOCly how your character acts ICly. It will obviously matter ICly, in the way that if your character is too pushy it may make the other characters more resistant, but that's why I love RP in Istaria. OOCly it wont matter as long as the other players don't feel you're trying to OOCly make them change their character/story just so you can have easy RP with said story.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Akrion View Post
    The good roleplayers will resist you ICly, not OOCly, and as I experienced the resitance gradually dropped as my character got move involved and wrapped up in their story.
    What do you mean by IC resistance?
    I have not felt OoC resistance from some talented roleplayers, but I have felt, sometimes, OoC resistance when I tried starting RP interactions with some characters, and when I tried entering some RPs.

OOCly it wont matter as long as the other players don't feel you're trying to OOCly make them change their character/story just so you can have easy RP with said story.
    What do you mean by easy RP?

Quote Originally Posted by LungTien Temeraire View Post
    What do you mean by IC resistance?
    I have not felt OoC resistance from some talented roleplayers, but I have felt, sometimes, OoC resistance when I tried starting RP interactions with some characters, and when I tried entering some RPs.
    I mean exactly that. In-character resistance to your character getting involved in the affairs of other characters if they don't know your character very well / don't like your chatacter / etc. If a group of characters are reluctant to let your character get involved in whatever they're RPing about, then that's IC resistance and not OOC resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by LungTien Temeraire View Post
    What do you mean by easy RP?
    Again I mean exactly that. Your character should have to work for their position in a roleplay and not simply be given that position if there exists no reason to do so ICly.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

I mean exactly that. In-character resistance to your character getting involved in the affairs of other characters if they don't know your character very well / don't like your chatacter / etc. If a group of characters are reluctant to let your character get involved in whatever they're RPing about, then that's IC resistance and not OOC resistance.
    I'm ok with that, what I pointed out was that it has been rather hard sometimes, for me, to make my character start interacting with some others, whether they don't know him or don't like him,..., and enter, even slowly and bit by bit, some RP plots, due to OoC things. It seems that I haven't been the only one feeling that.

Thumbs up Re: Bring RP back to NT!

Whether it's because of this thread (I believe it is), or, because of an unrelated, yet concerted effort on the part of others (also possible), I've noticed a major increase in RP in NT, as well as a few other places in Istaria. RP, in general, seems to have increased, in just the near-50 days Morinare has been alive.

All I can say is: Yaaaaaaay!!

It's fun for me (and, I assume, for others involved) plus it's instructive to newer players...let's them see what Order shard should be, and gives them an idea of how to "behave" and interact with other players.

Kudos to all who've taken a role in this....
    Cogito, ergo sum Draconem.

Milicent set down her clipboard, turning away from her sorting to smile up at the ancient ducking its head under the cloth canopy. "Good day, dragon! How may I help you?"

Thicklesip sharply shook its head and ducked a little lower as the cloth sprung free of its horns and fins. It blinked down its nose at her before turning its head sideways, fixing Milicent with a beady red eye. "Good day." Glancing about for a moment, it lowered its voice to what passes for a quiet conversational tone among beings with lungs larger than most bipeds. "Do you have any copies of Primal Alacrity?"

Quickly sorting through a couple papers, Milicent pulled one out and glanced at it. "No, I'm afraid I haven't had any for awhile."

"Hrm." The ancient kept staring, as if at any moment the secrets of Milicent's inadequate stock would be revealed to its gaze. "Do you have any scale packs?"

"No, I'm out of those as well." She flipped the sheet over and frowned at it.

"...what about copies of Primal Attack?" Still half-crouched and staring, somewhere on the other side Milicent could just make out the dragon's tail flicking.

"Nor that." She carefully wedged the paper back into its spot and pulled out another one, more for the sake of completeness than any real doubt.

"Do you happen to have any... Prime Bolt?" While reading dragons is never particularly easy for bipeds, especially not the stoic ones, Milicent guessed that was exasperation creeping into its tone. Or indigestion, it really wasn't easy to tell.

"Yes! I have one copy of that left." She beamed up at Thicklesip before her brain caught up and her smile turned somewhat more uncertain. "Are you, ah, looking to buy?"

"No." The dragon's gaze finally roved past Milicent to fixate on the hub-bub of the square, packed from corner to corner with a dazzling assortment of colorful scales. "Do none of these dragons ask you to list their wares?" Definitely exasperation.

"I confess I don't remember offhand. Business is so brisk that remembering anyone but the most loyal is best left to the paperwork. If you have a specific seller in mind I could look them up for you, perhaps?" Definitely a paperwork headache. But while Rule #1 of being an Imperial Consigner in this day and age was "the dragon is forbidden to hurt you," Rule #2 was "but it's a good idea to keep them as content as possible."

"No." Looking back at her, the ancient dipped its head slightly and began carefully extricating itself from under the pitiful cloth overhang. "Your assistance is appreciated." It briefly glanced back at Milicent as it straightened. "Take care."

"May Istara smile upon you, dragon." She smiled absently at the dragon's knees (elbows?) before it lifted into the air and vanished from sight, the backdraft from its flight barely ruffling her tunic. Patting down a couple papers, Milicent picked her clipboard back up and went back to the easy part of her work.

(Four days later and there were fifteen spell runes listed under Thicklesip's name, and Milicent could have sworn she'd remember a purple-orange ancient willing to duck under the cloth overhang but maybe not.)

(It is a good thing that people do not ask Thicklesip about its opinions, as it is content to hold its counsel about the vapid sun-bathing embarrassments to Drulkar as long as nobody asks it why it goes back to New Trismus sometimes.)

Flipping a blue braid over her shoulder, the gnome scampers back into town with yet more bronze bars for tinkering. She winds her way through a maze of dragons, mostly beneath their notice. The conversation between ancient and hatchling is warm and amusing; she is glad it keeps them busy enough to not try gnibbling gnome.

At the tinkering bench, bronze bars become gears, struts, hinges and springs. One of the springs bounds away, bouncing over an oblivious hatchling's tail. The gnome scrambles after it, needing all the components she just made for the cargo disks in progress. Back and forth she lugs the finished sandstone disks to Milicent and goes to make more; hopping over dragons' tails becomes a game along the way.

An ancient flicks its earfins at the bouncing gnome, greeting her ponderously as dragons often do. She waves merrily and pauses to tie a dented bell to a hatchling's tail. As the hatchling tries to figure out what to do with it, she finishes up her work and drops a final load off with the consigner.

"Thank you for restocking my shelves," Milicent tells her. "I get many orders for these and it's always disappointing when I run out."

"Do the dragons scare folks away at all?" inquires the gnome. "Maybe you could entice more with deer carcasses and hoard to form a protective barrier when your stocks are low."

"That would be terrible for business," laughs Milicent. "Besides, I think they draw in more people than they scare off. There's a fascination in watching them."

"Well, as long as they're not eating anyone, I guess that's a good thing," the gnome replies. With a farewell wave, she scampers off to cause more merry mayhem in the larger land.

It depends which server board I think is which.

((
    Quote Originally Posted by Morinare_Blackclaw View Post
    Whether it's because of this thread (I believe it is), or, because of an unrelated, yet concerted effort on the part of others (also possible), I've noticed a major increase in RP in NT, as well as a few other places in Istaria. RP, in general, seems to have increased, in just the near-50 days Morinare has been alive.

All I can say is: Yaaaaaaay!!

It's fun for me (and, I assume, for others involved) plus it's instructive to newer players...let's them see what Order shard should be, and gives them an idea of how to "behave" and interact with other players.

Kudos to all who've taken a role in this....
    *brackets for the two who have taken things IC*
    Good to hear, good to hear! I've been off lately, mainly due to distractions from other games (Terraria...) and school, but I'm planning on getting my RP on and log on for more hten 10 minutes at a time. Maybe haul my fatty to NT tomorrow! XD))

Thread Information